Hosted by Darren Baker
Baghdad Wall Option
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 06:49 AM UTC
Would this work for park wall in Baghdad? Or is it more of a European style?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DioDump-DD064-Fenced-wall-Aachen-1-35-scale-military-diorama-accessory/232143576491?hash=item360cd5ddab:g:wSkAAOSw4SlV8Jng
frogstudio
Visit this Community
Argentina
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 12:40 PM UTC
It looks rather universal. With the right colours and weathering I think it would go jut right! Cheers!
chrisw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 02:14 PM UTC
Go for it.

I don't know Baghdad, but I've spent lots of time elsewhere in the Middle East and this looks very appropriate. Maybe paint the brick in a gray/sand color instead of red brick.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2018 - 04:37 PM UTC
I may have to respectfully disagree here a bit. The wall might be more familiar in Lebanon, or Syria where French influence could be felt. My experience in Iraq - not so much. Not at all in fact, from what I saw.

That's why I made the suggestion I did in this thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/273297&page=1

Now that I"ve said that, someone with enormous amounts of time on their hands will no doubt find exactly the type of wall you want to use.

I have no such time on my hands - I was trying to answer exactly the same question you pose eleven years ago and created a collection of, well - Irqi wall photos. I'm only going to show a few, I don't want to bore anyone. So be warned. They're all taken by me, unless I'm in them.

By the way, a lot of these walls consist of the type of construction I mentioned, rows of one kind of material stacked upon rows of another. And sometimes yet another...

Dissimilar, topped with ornamental blocks. I count five layers:

Even nicer homes like this one could not escape the style:

As you see here:

Same style, at least some ornamental gates or doors, which were more common:

Even this nice house:

Everywhere I went, and trust me, it was a huge area:

In spite of their sturdy appearance, this one was no match for a 7,000 pound VBIED:

And more...

There's a rebel in every group:

Sometimes I'd get bored and try to give them suggestions while building...

But they would just drive to the "Large Dissimilar Building Block Holding Area" just to show me my suggestions were not welcome.

My elves and i would then disguise ourselves, and gather up the tools of our trade...

Then at night we would secretly dismantle their handiwork and make them start over.

This vexed them and caused them to lay obstacles in our route of travel to make the drive more interesting for us...

So use it if you like, but know that the one guy who used that style is now being ostracized by his neighbors.

B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 06:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies and the pics. Those are some pretty cruddy walls. I think you are right. Maybe appropriate for North Africa due to the influence of Europe? I could take some artistic license.

I am depicting a street in Baghdad after the Thunder Run as the 1-64th Armor moved in to secure the area around Saddam's palace.

I have been looking for a while. I am surprised that there is not a lot of pics of the streets which were mentioned in various accounts such as Jim Lacey's Takedown.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2018 - 06:52 AM UTC
They don't necessarily have to e cruddy, just don't seem to be the type your kit depicts. This is the closest I have in my collection - square pillars with wall in between. Of course, this guy's dad had more money than some countries. You might be able to use your wall, and replace the metal with some dollhouse balustrade. That would look about right.

_GOTOTOP