_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tamiya SU-85
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi folks! Well, this is the reason why I was asking about weathering during the Battle for Berlin.

Tamiya Su-85, 1/35. I managed to sort of finish her before Christmas. Tracks are a bit stiff, and I need to figure out why the fit in the rear sometimes leaves a gap. Might also tone the weathering down a bit at the rear engine deck. Maybe I need to glue the whole thing down. Would appreciate any feedback or constructive criticism. Thanks, and Happy Christmas folks!

m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 08:59 AM UTC
It looks nice over-all. These old Tamiya T-34's are a bit loose front to back. I always got rid of the hold caps at the front, glued the rear in place, then glued the front.

Yes those old tracks are STIFF! Nothing you can do about it, except replace them.

By Berlin this would be an old tank, the SU-85M would be more common
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 09:02 AM UTC
Hi,
the model looks nice, but some sag on the tracks would be good.
Besides the mud has gone in some areas of the tracks and wheels that should be cleaned by the reciprocal contact when the tank moves.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 09:09 AM UTC
IMHO I think it is an appropiate amount of dirt,for me over weathering involves too much rust and damage,but as for dirt,I mean look at equipment at a local construction site for examples.

Just a couple of things to tighten up,the side of the tool box towards the front looks a little clean,as does the front hatch and some of those wheel centers.But really,a nice job !!
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 - 07:06 PM UTC

Thanks for the feedback folks! Really appreciate it.

Quoted Text

It looks nice over-all. These old Tamiya T-34's are a bit loose front to back. I always got rid of the hold caps at the front, glued the rear in place, then glued the front.

Yes those old tracks are STIFF! Nothing you can do about it, except replace them.

By Berlin this would be an old tank, the SU-85M would be more common

ditto on the tracks. I'm used to melting the pin heads together but this one just had so much excess rubber. Plus, the thing slightly misaligned while cooling so the two ends look disconnected for one side of the track. Ah well. This kind of tamiya tracks are fine for stuff with side-skirts because I can hide it.

I'll try seeing if the model fits better without the polycaps after christmas. I might just glue it down as per your suggestion.

Quoted Text

Hi,
the model looks nice, but some sag on the tracks would be good.
Besides the mud has gone in some areas of the tracks and wheels that should be cleaned by the reciprocal contact when the tank moves.

Thanks for the feedback! Try as I might, superglue doesn't stick well to the tracks... Unless I ram a rod on the side hull to hold them in place, I can't get them to stick to a position with sag sadly.

Ditto on the mud. I'm cleaning off some more in places where the tracks and wheels meet. I still want them tinted a bit with the color of mud, however. I did rub the steel wheels with steel pigment at the edges, it isn't reflected well in the camera.

Quoted Text

IMHO I think it is an appropiate amount of dirt,for me over weathering involves too much rust and damage,but as for dirt,I mean look at equipment at a local construction site for examples.

Just a couple of things to tighten up,the side of the tool box towards the front looks a little clean,as does the front hatch and some of those wheel centers.But really,a nice job !!

Thanks mate for the tips! The toolbox actually broke off while I was weathering. I ended up not weathering it the same level as the rest of the vehicle. I'll rectify that later. The wheel hubs were vinyl. I'm having a hard time getting pigments to stick on it - even with pigment binder. I'll work on it some more later.
Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 07:45 AM UTC
If it helps, Miniart makes a set of plastic injection molded workable tracks that would probably help with this kit. IIRC not too expensive either (I think I got mine for $10 plus another $5 for shipping). I haven't used them yet, but plan to upgrade a Dragon Egyptian SU-100 with them.

Damon.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If it helps, Miniart makes a set of plastic injection molded workable tracks that would probably help with this kit. IIRC not too expensive either (I think I got mine for $10 plus another $5 for shipping). I haven't used them yet, but plan to upgrade a Dragon Egyptian SU-100 with them.

Damon.

Yeah, I did consider picking up some after market tracks... but then I decided against it. The LHS was sold out on these (and they went for about 15USD) and I decided just to build OOB. I also didn't feel the kit warranted enough quality to deserve it anyway (sorry Tamiya, this is a pretty old kit). Thinking of picking up one or two though for my other projects. I have a DML T-34 that might be missing a track >_
 _GOTOTOP