Hosted by Darren Baker
Questions on the Reich chancelery
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 12:57 PM UTC
I'm building a vignette of the Reich chancellery, and would like to know what was the building made out of in Terms of materials?
Was it made out of granite or concrete. Also, if it is granite how does one paint it so it looks like granite?
Thank you.
Sergas
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2018 - 06:35 PM UTC
The base structure was Brick and then it was covered in Granite.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 12:32 AM UTC
Thank you for the info.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 02:40 PM UTC
The subway in the then Soviet sektor of East Berlin was said to have been built using red marble from the interior of the Reichskanzlei. I think it's only been fairly recently proven otherwise, although it could have come from the the same Thuringian quarry.

I recall at least one of the subways in the Moscow Metrowas decorated with granite or marble from the Reichskanzlei, can't remember which. Of course if granite it would have come from the exterior.

I'd post photos but I photographed so many stations without captions it would be impossible to know which was which.

You may have luck on the color by Googling in German rather than English, using Reichskanzlei Granit or Reichskanzlei Marmor.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 - 08:23 PM UTC
I think the exterior was faced in red porphyry rather than marble (marble is made from limestone so tends to be white/grey) whereas porphyry, like granite, is formed by crystallisation of molten magma.

As to how you reproduce it, study of photographs is your best starting point. There was. Decent colour set on Signsl magazine, which was reproduced in a book I bought in the 1970s, although as it is still popular as a facing you will find it on modern buildings too. I’d probably start with a reddish brown and mottled it with similar couloirs by sponge and apply any veins of mineralisation with a thin brush. Then varnish. Don’t make the panels too large either - there is a practical limit as to how big they can be to transport and install.

_GOTOTOP