_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Merkava 4M 836667 Markings
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:22 PM UTC
I recently purchased the Michael Mass Siman 4/4M Desert Eagle book, which is wonderful. On pages 60 and 62 I am really impressed with the tank whose rear insignia is a very cool 7 sided plywood insignia with raised letters spelling 'Vulcan' in Hebrew. The tank number is 836667. I really like the rear markings of this tank, and plan to scratch build the 'Vulcan' insignia, for my Meng 4M tank, but unfortunately there are only photos of the rear of the tank, and I have no idea what markings, or equipment, are on the sides or front of the tank. I have just written to Michael Mass, to his address here, to ask if he has any additional photos, or if he could describe what those markings might be, but on the odd chance that anyone here might have some thought on this, I'm posting my question here.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

on the odd chance that anyone here might have some thought on this, I'm posting my question here.

The unit in question just happens to be my old outfit (when it was still equipped with Mk.2Bs), I might be able to help you out here, Curt.

Quoted Text

I am really impressed with the tank whose rear insignia is a very cool 7 sided plywood insignia with raised letters spelling 'Vulcan' in Hebrew. The tank number is 836667. I really like the rear markings of this tank, and plan to scratch build the 'Vulcan' insignia, for my Meng 4M tank, but unfortunately there are only photos of the rear of the tank, and I have no idea what markings, or equipment, are on the sides or front of the tank.

It seems like the markings you describe here belong to one of the the command vehicles of 'Vav' company ('Vulcan'), 77th Battalion, 7th Armored Brigade. They should be pretty much identical to the markings appearing on this rather excellent Mk.2B, built by Özgur Güner.

http://panzermania.com/Galerie/Merkava%20Mk%20IIB/Merkava%20Mk%20II%20B.html

The insignia on the front-left/rear-right mudguard marks the brigade, in case the 7th; the 2 in the middle indicates the that the 77th Battalion is the second battalion of the 7th Brigade (sandwiched between the 75th and the 82nd); the marking on the front-right/rear-left indicates the vehicles position within the company, in this case either the CO's 'Gimel' (ג) or his deputy's 'Dalet' (ד).

The front insignias are (almost) always painted on the rubber-flaps of the mud-guards, the rear-ones seem to be rather unit-specific: in most cases on the rubber-flaps, but sometimes on the metal-part above them; in some cases they're painted partially (only the brigade or the platoon-marking), in some cases they're missing altogether (checking references of the exact vehicle or at least the unit is advised).

The platoon-markings on either side of the turret-basket should also bear the letter 'Gimel' or 'Dalet'; the large, rather artistic rear marking (in this case 'Vulcan' written in Hebrew (וולקן), shaped like a tank) is present on the company CO's (ג) and on his deputy's (ד) vehicle only.

The company-markings (large white 'V' on the side-skirts) are obviously the same on all vehicles belonging to the same company. Luckily enough, in this case it corresponds to the latin 'V' letter used in 'Vulcan' (the Hebrew designation of the company is marked by the letter is 'Vav - ו').

The battalion-markings (the white barrel-rings) designate which battalion of the brigade the tank belongs to; in this case, two rings mean the second battalion of the brigade.

Isradecal has a set for 'Vulcan' company. Although the markings are for Mk.2Bs, I guess they could be used for the Mk.4M as well:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/isradecal-35-decal-idf-01-idf-merkava-1927688847
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

on the odd chance that anyone here might have some thought on this, I'm posting my question here.

The unit in question just happens to be my old outfit (when it was still equipped with Mk.2Bs), I might be able to help you out here, Curt.

Quoted Text

I am really impressed with the tank whose rear insignia is a very cool 7 sided plywood insignia with raised letters spelling 'Vulcan' in Hebrew. The tank number is 836667. I really like the rear markings of this tank, and plan to scratch build the 'Vulcan' insignia, for my Meng 4M tank, but unfortunately there are only photos of the rear of the tank, and I have no idea what markings, or equipment, are on the sides or front of the tank.

The markings you describe here belong to the command vehicle of 'Vav' company ('Vulcan'), 77th Battalion, 7th Armored Brigade. They should be pretty much identical to the markings appearing on this rather excellent Mk.2B, built by Özgur Güner.

http://panzermania.com/Galerie/Merkava%20Mk%20IIB/Merkava%20Mk%20II%20B.html

The insignia on the front-left/rear-right mudguard marks the brigade, in case the 7th; the 2 in the middle indicates the that the 77th Battalion is the second battalion of the 7th Brigade (sandwiched between the 75th and the 82nd); the marking on the front-right/rear-left indicates the vehicles position within the company, in this case the letter 'Gimel' (ג) which indicates it's the CO's vehicle.

The front insignias are (almost) always painted on the rubber-flaps of the mud-guards, the rear-ones seem to be rather unit-specific: in most cases on the rubber-flaps, but sometimes on the metal-part above them; in some cases they're painted partially (only the brigade or the company-marking), in some cases they're missing altogether (checking references of the exact vehicle or at least the unit is advised).

The platoon-markings on either side of the turret-basket should also bear the letter 'Gimel'; the large, rather artistic rear marking (in this case 'Vulcan' written in Hebrew (וולקן), shaped like a tank) is present on the company CO's (ג) and on his deputy's (ד) vehicle only.

The company-markings (large white 'V' on the side-skirts) are obviously the same on all vehicles belonging to the same company. Luckily enough, in this case it corresponds to the latin 'V' letter used in 'Vulcan' (the Hebrew designation of the company is marked by the letter is 'Vav - ו').

The battalion-markings (the white barrel-rings) designate which battalion of the brigade the tank belongs to; in this case, two rings mean the second battalion of the brigade.

Isradecal has a set for 'Vulcan' company. Although the markings are for Mk.2Bs, I guess they could be used for the Mk.4M as well:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/isradecal-35-decal-idf-01-idf-merkava-1927688847

Israel,

I figured if anyone could help me, it would be you! WOW, so many thanks!

I wish I could post the exact pictures from the book, but I don't want any copyright problems. I'll describe what I see in the photo, just to be sure we are talking about the correct vehicle. The 'tank shaped' Vulcan word is on metal above the left rear mudflap. On that left rear mudflap, the insignia is what looks like a latin 'T', with the left hand part of the horizontal line being slightly longer than the right hand. There is a single horizontal 'dash' at the bottom of the 'T'. On the right rear mudflap, there is the number 2 inside a wing shaped outline.

The only other question I have is whether the tank would have a battering ram or towing horns on the front.

Again, many thanks to you, sir!
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The 'tank shaped' Vulcan word is on metal above the left rear mudflap. On that left rear mudflap, the insignia is what looks like a latin 'T', with the left hand part of the horizontal line being slightly longer than the right hand. There is a single horizontal 'dash' at the bottom of the 'T'.

That's the Hebrew letter 'Dalet' (ד) indicating the deputy CO's vehicle of the company; only the CO's ('Gimel') and (sometimes) his deputy's ('Dalet') tanks have the large company insignia on the rear turret-basket.

Quoted Text

On the right rear mudflap, there is the number 2 inside a wing shaped outline

Then the same marking should be applied to the front-left rubber-flap, the 'Dalet' on the opposite side.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only other question I have is whether the tank would have a battering ram or towing horns on the front.

Not as standard but both are possible applications (I think). In case of the deputy CO's tank, I would probably go for the towing horns rather than the battering ram.

Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 06:34 AM UTC
"I wish I could post the exact pictures from the book, but I don't want any copyright problems."

As long as you credit the copyright owner, you won't have a problem as you're not using it for commercial purposes. Unless Mr Mass took the photo himself he won't own the copyright anyway. That will belong to the original photographer, and he or she should be credited in the photo caption.

Publishing a third-party picture in your book or on your website does not give you any rights over it (are you listening, Alamy and others...?) unless you also own the "original". Which is harder to prove in the days of digital imagery than with wet film, where there was at least a negative. Not that it applies in this case, but any photo taken more than 75 years ago (currently, the end of 1943) will be out of copyright anyway now.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 01:21 AM UTC
Funny, my wife just dug up this old document holder...

_GOTOTOP