_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Paper ration boxes
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 375 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:13 PM UTC
I've been meaning to ask this question for ages. I have a bunch of paper ration boxes; mine are from J's Work but others make these. My problem is I have yet to find a glue that holds the damn things together. Even if I get something to work, over time the glue lets go. I really want to use these things, so, pray tell, what glue works with these things????
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 02:40 PM UTC
I use Quick Dry Turbo Tacky Glue. Comes in a round bottle, sort of a gold/bronze color, with an applicator top. I buy it at Hobby Lobby, but I'm sure it can be found at other craft stores. Its a basic white glue, but its very sticky, and dries incredibly fast. It's the only thing to use on all the paper rat boxes.

Rod
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2018 - 05:03 PM UTC
uhu appears to work for me
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Quick Dry Turbo Tacky Glue. Comes in a round bottle, sort of a gold/bronze color, with an applicator top. I buy it at Hobby Lobby, but I'm sure it can be found at other craft stores. Its a basic white glue, but its very sticky, and dries incredibly fast. It's the only thing to use on all the paper rat boxes.

Rod

Rod, do you wait until it is almost dry to join the surfaces, like contact cement? Or if not, how long do you hold the pieces together until they're going to stick?
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 07:51 AM UTC
No, I apply the glue to the paper areas that need it, then press it together, sometimes with fingers, or tweezers, hold it for 10-15 seconds, and it holds. Its ALMOST like a super glue in how fast it holds and dries, but its a standard white PVA glue....
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 07:05 AM UTC
Elmer's Glue Sticks work well, dry quickly and hold over time if some pressure is applied to the seam.
wildbill426
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, I apply the glue to the paper areas that need it, then press it together, sometimes with fingers, or tweezers, hold it for 10-15 seconds, and it holds. Its ALMOST like a super glue in how fast it holds and dries, but its a standard white PVA glue....

Rod, thanks so much! I didn't find the exact glue you mentioned but I got the 'quick set' of the same brand, and it worked exactly as you said.
 _GOTOTOP