_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
1/35 scale mesh metal for engine grills etc
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi
Just building a Tamiya 1/35 Tiger II. The mesh engine grill covers are missing from the kit, I've ordered some PE parts, but was thinking about making my own.

Anyone know what scale metal mesh screen I would need to buy for this?

I found this on eBay, was looking at the 80 mesh count one...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F261836344201

Engine grills I need to make..

nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:27 AM UTC
Depending on the tiger !! kit, I don't think Tamiya supplied mesh grills, but they do sell them as an add on, and they can be found for £5 - £8. Seems to me to be a better option than spending £2 and then having to make your own.
Cocat2517
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 01:46 AM UTC
I've bought a PE set off eBay for under £5,it's just for future in case I do decide to make my own.

But also wanted to get an idea of scales to use it for other stuff, like wire fencing etc.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've bought a PE set off eBay for under £5,it's just for future in case I do decide to make my own.

But also wanted to get an idea of scales to use it for other stuff, like wire fencing etc.

Pete;

Not sure which place to start! So... 1) Tiger grating grills... these were pretty specific in both mesh size, hole shape, and style to that tank and maybe shared with Panthers and Tiger derivatives. The "factory" screens also had distinctive frames, as seen on both kit and AM PE mesh sets for these. This is also the general case for most other vehicles... "Factory" screens are a range of standardized assemblies and have pretty standardized appearances - which may be both difficult to match with "other materials", and quite challenging to make from scratch (not that I don't like challenges...!)

Which means that there is little potential for a "common mesh" across multiple vehicle types, if one wishes to be relatively accurate in appearance for each one.

In which case, I always go with the kit or AM bits for these "factory" screens - much easier and at least potentially more-accurate in both mesh size and shape and in terms of "framing" than were I to DIY these. I am older now and like to use my available time for scratching stuff that I cannot buy ready-made! (But that's me ).

2) I sorta emphasized "factory"... IF what you want to create is something representing a crew add-on or "custom" or ad-hoc type of post-manufacture screen... There are LOTS of neat options for mesh materials! For example; I built a Trumpeter E-10 - wanted to make some "post-assembly" "Thoma" mesh screen-schurzen for it. I wanted those to look like they were made from wire "cyclone" fencing... I found some neat "bridal vail" mesh at Hobby Lobby. Turned out to be about 2.5" x 2.5" 1/35 scale woven holes! Worked quite well. Cheap. Easy to use. And all of the related "framing" was going to be "custom" anyways...

In other cases, there are various other AM meshes and screens available - all sorts of PE mesh and perf-plate, plastic and other material mesh, etc. The real challenge lies, to me, in finding stuff which actually looks RIGHT for what I want to use.
I've found that most PE actually looks pretty mediocre in application - real wire mesh is woven and is pretty "3d" - most PE stuff is essentially a perforated flat sheet, and has no relief representing the visible woven textures. Sort of like looking at "perforated step plates" and using a flat sheet with holes in it - looses the diamond or other raised texture.

I've ended up scrounging little wire screens from faucets and various filter devices, coffee filters, nylon tea-bags, etc.

For your Tiger; I suggest plunk down the hard-earned and get a reasonable PE piece - you'll likely be happier in the outcome! And for all the other less-standard screens... start collecting screening materials and discover the diversity of possible "products" out there!

Just, of course, my opinion and suggestion!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP