_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
British Challenger 2 Color question
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 10:12 AM UTC
So I am about to start a new project, a British Challenger 2 as served in Iraq. I am trying to figure out what color I should be painting it. I have read that the British has used Portland Stone since WW2, but I saw for modern armour, AK Interactive has a British Sand Yellow.

Now I have seen images of Challenger 2's that do look to be the Sand Yellow.

So maybe my British friends can fill me in on the use of Sand Yellow? Also was it used in Afghanistan as well? Would other vehicles have used this color? ie The British Husky TSV?

terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 10:27 AM UTC
As far as I know, Challenger 2 weren't used in Afghanistan.

You have also an acrylic model paint from Ammo of Mig (030)
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC
this is one of these age old questions and it is based on the pictures you see of the tank and what light conditions were like while the picture was taken. in essence you should paint it in a manner that looks right to you.

now that might not seem like much help but it is something that i stand by. you could try using tamiya dark yellow (XF-60) with a dash of tamiya desert yellow (XF-69).

oh and your best hope for british armour in Afghanistan would be a Scimitar which is available from afv club but you would need to find someone who makes the bar armour for it or if you're feeling ambitious have a go at making your own.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:27 PM UTC
ModelMaster make a 'British Gulf War Sand' in acrylic which I find a pretty good match
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 12:51 PM UTC
A great model with a scratchbuilt bar armor

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922002-135-lep-up-armoured-scimitar-cvrt/
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ModelMaster make a 'British Gulf War Sand' in acrylic which I find a pretty good match

The Model Master paint is matched to the 1991 color. The current version is darker, and more yellow.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 01:20 AM UTC
I agree that the British ‘sand yellow’ color, relative to painting models, is as variable and uncertain as colors for Israeli tanks throughout the years. My very first model, after returning to the hobby about 9 years ago, was the Tamiya Challenger II Desertized, as I thought that tank was really cool looking! I didn’t paint it right, though, but think I now have the correct color identified. It is a mixture of Tamiya paints. I’ll try to send the mixes to you later today.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 02:14 AM UTC
This article refers to 'the same sand colour being used for 60 years' and the new colour certainly not being 'more yellow'.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/may_2013_news_defence_army_military_industry_uk/british_army_vehicles_will_be_painted_with_new_colour_camouflage_of_tan_brown_1505131.html

This article is dated 2010 and reappeared in 2013. I have no idea if it was implemented.

This is purported to be from 2018.
https://i0.wp.com/www.warfare.today/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/2-YORKS-Foxhound-Afghan-National-Army-Officer-Academy-ANAOA-Kabul-Afghanistan-Crown-Copyright-2017-880.jpg?w=880
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 10:18 AM UTC
Ok, so based on the replies so far, it does sound like there is such thing as a Sand Yellow used in the Gulf War. So that does contradict a thread I read on another site that said the British have used ONLY Portland Stone for "desert" climate vehicles.

Is the Sand Yellow still in use? Or have they gone back to Portland Sand? After my Challenger, my next project will be the Husky TSV.
 _GOTOTOP