_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Chinese AFV Tracks
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 11:55 AM UTC
I have one of the Bronco kits, and it mentions right and left side tracks. But even though the sprues have R and L designations, I cannot for the life of me see the difference between them! Or was it a matter of "they were supposed to be different but turned out not to be on the actual vehicle"?
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2019 - 06:25 PM UTC
What type of vehicle?
Could it be that the head of the pins are specular?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What type of vehicle?

This one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/122667-bronco-cb35083-yw-750-armored-ambulance
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 12:20 AM UTC
You can check out Olivier's YW-750 pics ( it uses the same tracks...) :

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/photoengins/chine/yw750/index.htm

EDIT : Robin and Massimo are right about the pin itself...It protrudes more on the outer side (no magnifying glass needed )

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/photoengins/chine/yw750/yw750_037.htm

Close-up of the pin retaining ring :

http://olivier.carneau.free.fr/photoengins/chine/yw750/yw750_038.JPG

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 12:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What type of vehicle?

This one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/122667-bronco-cb35083-yw-750-armored-ambulance

Thanks for asking this question and alerting me to the differences.
It IS the track pins.
Look closely at the links with a magnifying glass and compare with the sprue images in the parts list. The image in the parts list also show the difference between right and left hand track links.
I guess that the construction follows the same principle as the tracks on T-34s. Simple pin with a head on the inside, when the pin tries to move it gets knocked back into place by a skid mounted on the side of the hull. The head ends of the track pins face inward. This solution was also inherited by German tracks in WW II, Pz III and IV at least. The later types of these tracks also used the knock-me-back-in pins.
Dragon used colour coding and packed their magic tracks in two separate bags, left hand vs right hand.
I checked the instructions for YW-531C kit, same basic vehicle, but I found no evidence of the skid to knock the pins back in.
Maybe the construction was changed to add a lock pin or something.
Check the instructions carefully to get the correct track on each side.
/ Robin
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 12:25 AM UTC
If it requires a magnifying glass to tell the difference, it's not something I would lose sleep over, but that's just me...

RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 12:31 AM UTC
It depends on ones eyesight, twenty years ago I could have seen the difference without glasses, now I need to use the +3.5 reading glasses to see the difference.
Once you know that there is a difference you will be able to spot it without glasses or magnifiers

/ Robin

About knowing the difference:
An old couple, let's call them Joe and Mary, married for about 45 years, were sitting in their living room at the table eating a nice lunch. Everything is nice and calm.

Then suddenly, Mary stands up and smacks Joe across the face. Mary then sits as if nothing happened. Joe is stunned and responds, "Jesus Mary! What was that for?"

"That's for 45 years of bad sex!!" Mary responds. They know the neighborhood could probably hear them, so they return to their lunch. After some quiet, Joe stands up and slaps Mary across her face and sits back down.

Mary, stunned, demands, "Jesus Joseph, What was that for?"

Joe responds, "That's for knowing the difference!"
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It depends on ones eyesight, twenty years ago I could have seen the difference without glasses, now I need to use the +3.5 reading glasses to see the difference.
Once you know that there is a difference you will be able to spot it without glasses or magnifiers

/ Robin

About knowing the difference:
An old couple, let's call them Joe and Mary, married for about 45 years, were sitting in their living room at the table eating a nice lunch. Everything is nice and calm.

Then suddenly, Mary stands up and smacks Joe across the face. Mary then sits as if nothing happened. Joe is stunned and responds, "Jesus Mary! What was that for?"

"That's for 25 years of bad sex!!" Mary responds. They know the neighborhood could probably hear them, so they return to their lunch. After some quite, Joe stands up and slaps Mary across her face and sits back down.

Mary, stunned, demands, "Jesus Joseph, What was that for?"

Joe responds, "That's for knowing the difference!"

That was funny.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2019 - 11:57 AM UTC
On "Dave Allen At Large", a drill instructor is shouting at some recruits, and he goes to one and tells him repeatedly about what an 'orrible little man he is, and asks him, "What are you?" The man is a giant and says, "I'm an 'orrible little man, sir!" The instructor asks the others, "What is he?" They reply, "He's an 'orrible little man, sir!"
 _GOTOTOP