_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
What does a Droid do
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 05:16 AM UTC
What exactly does a Droid ATMD do ? Is it an active or a passive protection system ? I can't seem to get a good answer on the web and I know somebody here should have the answer. I'm thinking of getting the Legend kit to add to my Meng Achzarit. Thanks in advance, Mark.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 05:18 AM UTC
Maybe the answers will be flowing more freely if this was posted in the Armor/AFV forum?
Let me know if you want me to move it.
/ Robin
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 05:35 AM UTC
Robin, I was on Armorama when I posted this but the drop down discussion group menu doesn't include the individual sites. I guess i have to play around with it a little to get the post where i want it to go. I would appreciate it if you could move it. Thanks, Mark
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 07:22 AM UTC
Past postings here:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/226138
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 09:29 AM UTC
Thanks, Stuart
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 03:20 PM UTC
In short, it's a laser dazzle system to detect and disrupt IR and laser-homing missiles and cause them to miss: a soft-kill system. Similar systems fitted to some aircraft, especially transports. No use against radar guided or unguided projectiles, and apparently quite easily damaged in service by fragments, small arms and scenery. Needs to be placed high for a clear 360 line of sight.

It would be an outer-layer defence, possibly in conjunction with the Windbreaker ECM system, backed up by the Trophy hard-kill system, which fires interceptor projectiles, and finally by various forms of physical armour on the vehicle itself. Don't be seen, don't be hit, don't be penetrated.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2019 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

in conjunction with the Windbreaker ECM system, backed up by the Trophy hard-kill system

Those are simply different names for the same system. Windbreaker is the Hebrew designation translated to English, while the export-version marketed as Trophy.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In short, it's a laser dazzle system to detect and disrupt IR and laser-homing missiles and cause them to miss: a soft-kill system. Similar systems fitted to some aircraft, especially transports. No use against radar guided or unguided projectiles, and apparently quite easily damaged in service by fragments, small arms and scenery. Needs to be placed high for a clear 360 line of sight.

It would be an outer-layer defence, possibly in conjunction with the Windbreaker ECM system, backed up by the Trophy hard-kill system, which fires interceptor projectiles, and finally by various forms of physical armour on the vehicle itself. Don't be seen, don't be hit, don't be penetrated.

I still find it interesting that the "droid" is only seen mounted on a few vehicles in each company (or the IDF equivalent). Seems like either it provides protection for more than just it's host vehicle or maybe it's supposed to be mounted on every vehicle and currently, the IDF just doesn't have all their tanks set up in "go to war" configuration?

One note - it's not similar to the IRCM units mounted on aircraft. Those units have a laser head that actually moves and targets an incoming SAM. The droid doesn't appear to have this ability. I originally thought it might simply be a laser warning device but it's much too large for that function. I'm leaning towards it being a "dazzler" similar (but undoubtedly more sophisticated) to what the Marines had mounted on their M1's during early OIF days. Most likely tailored against the Kornet ATGM's which are now present in large numbers throughout the mid-east.
 _GOTOTOP