_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New M1 240mm Howitzer from DESkit
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 02:33 AM UTC
deskit.online.fr/02_pages/04_materiels_35/materiels_americains_35/35139/35139.htm

140 euros + shipping from France.

Thanks to Robert-Jan for the heads-up

H.P.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 03:02 AM UTC
How was the rest of the complete weapon transported?

There is plenty of images of the barrel being transported and the whole weapon in firing position but I haven't found anything showing how the trails and the rest (everything except the barrel) was transported.
/ Robin
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How was the rest of the complete weapon transported?

Here's the M2A1 transport wagon (the M1A1 was used with the howitzer barrel)

A crane was generally used to assemble the complete gun....

H.P.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 03:32 AM UTC
Thanks!
I hope Maurice is thinking seriously about the carriage transport
/ Robin
saransk
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 07:20 AM UTC
Supposedly the whole shebang could be put together without the crane using the towing vehicle winches and, I suspect, a lot of back-breaking work and a full dictionary of various anglo-saxon vocabulary.

I wonder if DES kits has a conversion kit for either a M3 or M10 into a prime mover in the works as well.

I have seen a tracked version of the carrier for the base as well as the big-wheel version.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if DES kits has a conversion kit for either a M3 or M10 into a prime mover in the works as well.

He has recently released a conversion set for the M33 based on Takom M3 kit :

deskit.online.fr/02_pages/04_materiels_35/materiels_americains_35/35138/35138.htm

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 10:55 AM UTC
To set up the gun without using the crane it was required to move the gun trails parallel to each other. The trails would then form an inclined ramp and the barrel trailer would be rolled up this ramp. The barrel would then be slid/winched/pulled into the trunnions on the base and locked down.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 12:22 PM UTC
There was also an early experiment with tracked carriages using various tank chassis parts for the gun but these designs were considered unacceptable. From a modeler's standpoint I wish this design plan had won out!

These and additional photographs of the gun and transfer carriages can be found in the Allied-Axis series of books, thanks to the publishing efforts of Pat Stansell and David Doyle.
Buckeyes57
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 01:15 PM UTC
I have to ask, is the DES kit just the barrel on the transporter? Or is it an entire kit that can be modeled in firing position? It does not appear that the carriage is in the picture on DES's website.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 04:24 PM UTC
Only the folks at DES can answer that question with any certainty. For now DES are offering only the barrel and the barrel transport trailer as seen on their website.

I would hope DES would eventually see the wisdom of offering the entire 240mm gun assembly as a single kit. After that it would seem to make sense to offer both the similar (but not identical) transport trailers but that will remain to be seen.

I have written to DES to ask the question - we will see now they respond.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 06:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There was also an early experiment with tracked carriages using various tank chassis parts for the gun but these designs were considered unacceptable. From a modeler's standpoint I wish this design plan had won out!

These and additional photographs of the gun and transfer carriages can be found in the Allied-Axis series of books, thanks to the publishing efforts of Pat Stansil and David Doyle.

WOW !!! THIS whole set-up would SERIOUSLY have me saving up the dough to buy it! I'm sure that it wouldn't come cheap!!!

PS- Mike, you mentioned Pat Stansel above. As a general question to everyone out there, I'd like to know WHATEVER HAPPENED to the "SON of SHERMAN" Volume 2 book covering ALL models of the US M4 Medium Tanks in kit form?

That book was supposed to come out 4 or 5 years ago??? IT NEVER HAPPENED!!! After promises from Jeff at MMIR that "they would let me know as soon as the book was ready for shipping", I and I'm sure MANY other "Shermaholics" waited in vain... The book project was supposed to have been moved to David Doyle Books, but after emailing David Doyle, he emailed me back that "he didn't know anything about it". I emailed Pat Stansel, and also asked him about "SON of SHERMAN" Volume 2 in several different threads ON THIS SITE, and I never got so much as a peep out of him...

When I went on line to check the "SON of SHERMAN" Volume 2 book, the notice directed inquiries to... DAVID DOYLE BOOKS- BINGO!!! NOTHING!!!

I think we M4-fans deserve a proper answer. SOMEONE from that "SON of SHERMAM" Volume 2 crowd should have at least had the courtesy to post an official "We Let the F***ING Thing Die..." notice...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks!
I hope Maurice is thinking seriously about the carriage transport
/ Robin

Hi!

So far, there's only ONE IMAGE. Maybe DES Kit has more "in the works". The REAL set-up is very complex, so the design of the molds, etc will take time and a lot of effort.

Patience, children...
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 12:23 AM UTC
Field Manual 6-95 includes some battery setup pics :

https://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc11813/m1/?page=1

H.P.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 02:19 AM UTC
This has always been one of my dream projects! I don't think I still have the time and space to display something this big anymore though.
J
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 03:43 AM UTC
Too much time has passed for me to claim credit.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/233282&page=1
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 03:54 AM UTC
but we can say Thank You just the same
Maybe if you had worked a lot harder on your kit the modelling gods might have rewarded all of us with a styrene kit
/ Robin
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 12:45 PM UTC
[quote]but we can say Thank You just the same
Maybe if you had worked a lot harder on your kit the modelling gods might have rewarded all of us with a styrene kit
/ Robin [

Hi, Robin! I kind of doubt that the "modelling gods" would have bothered to ever release an ambitious project such as this. It's only a small group of us, even within this specific "niche" of people on this modelling site that are even aware that this fairly large and somewhat obvious US Army artillery piece even existed! Still, I'm happy that someone has taken it upon themselves to even consider putting this piece into production, albeit as a multi-media kit (I LOVE multi-media kits!), and probably as a "limited production" item. So, we'll see what happens, yes? I'm hoping that DES Kits will do the whole thing as an ensemble...
Mech
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 10:25 AM UTC
I came across this review back in October 3 of the two Deskit kits before their release, if any one is interested in seeing it of the M33 Prime Mover and the M1 240mm Howitzer and wheeled wagon.

http://www.warpaints.net/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=10293

I Have been waiting for a long time for a manufacture to build this as a 1/35 kit, so back in July 14, 2016 I started to scratch built the M1 240mm Howitzer and the M1 8 inch Gun plus the tracked wagons using all the Sherman track parts and the rear idlers of the M4 HST.

I have been trying to reduce the size of my picture so that I can post them to my gallery and then to the forum. If you want to see my progress pictures have a look at my web page.
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/scratch-builder/library/?sort=2&page=1

Cheers,

Ralph
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

PS- Mike, you mentioned Pat Stansel above. As a general question to everyone out there, I'd like to know WHATEVER HAPPENED to the "SON of SHERMAN" Volume 2 book covering ALL models of the US M4 Medium Tanks in kit form?

That book was supposed to come out 4 or 5 years ago??? IT NEVER HAPPENED!!! After promises from Jeff at MMIR that "they would let me know as soon as the book was ready for shipping", I and I'm sure MANY other "Shermaholics" waited in vain... The book project was supposed to have been moved to David Doyle Books, but after emailing David Doyle, he emailed me back that "he didn't know anything about it". I emailed Pat Stansel, and also asked him about "SON of SHERMAN" Volume 2 in several different threads ON THIS SITE, and I never got so much as a peep out of him...

When I went on line to check the "SON of SHERMAN" Volume 2 book, the notice directed inquiries to... DAVID DOYLE BOOKS- BINGO!!! NOTHING!!!

I think we M4-fans deserve a proper answer. SOMEONE from that "SON of SHERMAM" Volume 2 crowd should have at least had the courtesy to post an official "We Let the F***ING Thing Die..." notice...

It's STANSELL. You ninnies are 0-for-2.

What happened to the book? It was not published. If you don't see it offered for sale you can be confident that it is not being offered for sale. Isn't that all that matters? David Doyle cannot provide information about it because he has no connection with the book besides selling it. If it not for sale he has nothing to say.

"Deserves" is pretty presumptuous. No one besides Pat has put any time or money into the second book, so nobody else is owed [auto-censored], not even answers.

KL
Co-Author of "Son of Sherman Volume I"
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 09:39 PM UTC
Just by chance, one of those beasts in action in the Philippines:

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's STANSELL. You ninnies are 0-for-2.

What happened to the book? It was not published. If you don't see it offered for sale you can be confident that it is not being offered for sale. Isn't that all that matters? David Doyle cannot provide information about it because he has no connection with the book besides selling it. If it not for sale he has nothing to say.

"Deserves" is pretty presumptuous. No one besides Pat has put any time or money into the second book, so nobody else is owed [auto-censored], not even answers.

KL
Co-Author of "Son of Sherman Volume I"

So, you've still got your nasty disposition. And that's all YOU deserve for that kind of a rebuttal...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 05:36 AM UTC
A man's business goes under and he still gets flamed for not turning out Volume 2 of some well sought after book.

The new owner/publisher has his own priorities for what he will be turning out in the future but if you want this Volume 2 book so bad then talk to David. A note sent as an e-mail, in my experience, will get taken into account, though not necessarily will it receive a personal answer. Whining about it here does absolutely no good.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A man's business goes under and he still gets flamed for not turning out Volume 2 of some well sought after book.

The new owner/publisher has his own priorities for what he will be turning out in the future but if you want this Volume 2 book so bad then talk to David. A note sent as an e-mail, in my experience, will get taken into account, though not necessarily will it receive a personal answer. Whining about it here does absolutely no good.

or even make an offer about contributing as an author ....
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 06:27 AM UTC
Dennis, I concur with the others: you'll attract a lot more flies with honey than vinegar.

Book projects come and go, and often there is no one to oversee what you and the other "Shermanoholics" deem a "vital" publication if the original author/publisher vanishes from the scene. And please keep in mind the book business operates on very thin margins, there are a TON of Sherman books already out there, and David Doyle (about whom I have never heard a discouraging word) has purchased a line, which doesn't mean he's intimately familiar with every title that was planned by the previous owner.

If no one is answering your emails, it's probably best to move on. Unless the book was mostly finished, who will undertake the task of doing so now?
JBTOPTC
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 11:14 AM UTC
I just received this kit in the mail. It is indeed only the gun tube and transport carriage. I am disappointed it is only 1/2 of the gun.
On the positive side the kit detail is very nice.
 _GOTOTOP