_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Vickers 6 ton tank
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2019 - 06:00 PM UTC
Any person know what colour green the Vickers 6 ton tank used by the British for training in WWII.
Pre war the colour would appear to have been black green. Maybe the Vickers mediums were painted the same colour

tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 09:03 AM UTC
In 1940 this Vickers would probably still be in it's prewar colours, there generally being orders not to repaint unless actually necessary.

That colour should be Deep Bronze Green No.24. The colour mix is below pasted from the MAFVA site with it's excellent article on Brit colours 39-45.

Deep Bronze Green was the standard colour for AFVs of every type in the pre-war period. Just before the war started, vehicles being repainted or manufactured were done in Khaki Green G3 with a Green G4 disruptive pattern, but as there's no disruptive pattern visible here and the colour looks quite dark, and it's 1940, I'd say it was in the original Deep Bronze Green No.24 and not overall G3, which would be the other option.

Deep Bronze Green No. 24 Mix: Humbrol 2 + 33 + Revell 84 in ration 6:1:4. or Revell 65 + black in ratio 10:1 approx., Do not exceed this amount of black.

In use: 1934 –40. The basic colour pre-war on its own as a gloss finish. Very occasionally in 1939-40 with G3.

Description: Very dark yellow-green almost black green.
TerancekW
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 01:05 PM UTC
May I know the colour inside the hull, esp engine desk please? Sliver?

Thanks
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 - 01:36 PM UTC
Thank you Paul.
Pretty much what I thought. I use Tamiya paints and have the mix using xf5 and xf62. Ratio 8 to 5.
This equates to 24, deep bronze green.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

May I know the colour inside the hull, esp engine desk please? Sliver?

Thanks

Should be silver, yes. Including the engine compartment. Not necessarily the engine itself, mind.
TerancekW
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 02:59 PM UTC
The examples in Thai is, to my surprise, somehow different with UK. Thai 6 tonners have an engine compartment close to Finland.
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 05:36 PM UTC
Yes Terance. I noticed that
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The examples in Thai is, to my surprise, somehow different with UK. Thai 6 tonners have an engine compartment close to Finland.

Depending upon what happened to those tanks and how long they were in service, they might have been repainted.

Plus, at the time, nobody was really mass producing tanks in any real numbers, pretty much every order was bespoke so perhaps the Thais did not want silver interiors and wanted something else? Wouldn't have been too hard to tell Vickers "Paint the insides of our order _this_ colour instead of silver."

Paul
TerancekW
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 - 01:13 PM UTC
Paul,

The internal colour is also silver in Thai examples. I was referring to the layout of the engine desk. The Thai examples were closed to Finland. They don't have too many oil hoses. And to my surprise, some oil hoses in British example were connected to another areas, because some devices were located in different locations.

T
 _GOTOTOP