_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Camo/Colors on Matilda Mk IIs?
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 488 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of getting myself a Tamiya Matilda Mk II (kit #35300 they originally released in 2008). Quick question: does this particular model have an option NOT to have the three-tone Caunter Scheme painted on it? Better yet: were the decal options ever seen without the caunter? I don't feel confident doing the caunter yet (partly because I dislike having to mix tamiya colors). I'm hoping there's an option to paint them aside from the ones suggested by the decal options. (This is aside from the 3rd one showing a Matilda used in the Uk... I was hoping to paint something used in Africa).

Follow up question is: did this variant ever see service in the Soviet Army? I know tamiya released another kit, but it's about 15 dollars more expensive. I tried looking at online photos and they all showed the newer kit's configuration (new tracks etc.)

Thanks folks.

EDIT :one other question, did all British M3 Stuarts have the caunter scheme? I have teh academy kit 50% done. Not sure whether to build that one up in Caunter or build a US version deployed in the Philippines
BogiBg
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 09:26 AM UTC

Stuarts arrived OD.

Not all of them were painted in Caunter.

Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 11:50 AM UTC
There were various unofficial unit schemes on Matildas. These usually come up on Google searches.

There has been recent discussion of this subject on another forum, possibly Missing Lynx

Plain Light Stone is an option for both the types you mention. Shermans were to be found in Desert Pink with and without disruptive painting and both Shermans and Grants could be seen in light stone with disruptive painting. It seems that some of these schemes were applied to Stuarts too. People have certainly modelled Stuarts in Light Stone with Dark Green. The later Stuart versions continued to arrive after the Caunter scheme had been discontinued.
Removed by original poster on 01/11/19 - 02:40:39 (GMT).
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 02:56 PM UTC
Hi Nigel

I suggest reading Mike Starmer's excellent article
http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/Starmer%20camo.htm

It will help determine colours based on the time period you want to depict.
I know you don't like mixing paints, but.....

Mike's article also discusses paint mixes for enamel colours and many years ago I did an article on his Tamiya mixes for my club:

http://www.ammsbrisbane.com/ajax/articles/dec_09_tamiya_paint_mixes.html

It is not hard to mix colours in small medical measurement cups you can pick up at a Pharmacy or discount store.

....or if your brush painting is up to it, try a Malta 'rock wall' camouflage scheme. There were 4 Matildas and various other vehicles painted this way.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/Infantry_Tank_Matilda_II.php
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 06:55 PM UTC
Wow, thank you all for the wealth of information and photo! I'll be doing a bit more digging.

I have one last question with regards to the Tamiya kit though. Did this particular version get sent to the Soviet Union under lend-lease? I know that the later updated tamiya kit features new parts and a new set of tracks. Did this earlier version boxed ever se soviet service?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 - 11:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the images BogiBG !
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did this earlier version boxed ever se soviet service?

Hi Nigel

Not as specifically built from the kit. There were a few Matilda's with the earlier side plates sent, but the majority were the later type with larger external hinges, different cut outs, track skids instead of rollers, different covers on the front glacis storage boxes, etc. The tracks used were the newer 'spud' type as well.
kunjuro
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Did this earlier version boxed ever se soviet service?

Hi Nigel

Not as specifically built from the kit. There were a few Matilda's with the earlier side plates sent, but the majority were the later type with larger external hinges, different cut outs, track skids instead of rollers, different covers on the front glacis storage boxes, etc. The tracks used were the newer 'spud' type as well.

thanks petbat! Really appreciate it. I have several British kits in the workbench right now like atamiya Cromwell. Loving the aesthetics and history of these vehicles. Would definitely join another British brigade campaign in the future
 _GOTOTOP