_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Rye Field M1A2 - RM-5004
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hey guys - asking for my father, considering this model next, what are the aftermarket track options for this that would fit the sprocket? He just finished the Panther & the tracks area REAL pita.

Are there AFV club vinyl or even Friul options (I think I did see them offered?) - I don't know much about the tracks on the M1A2 so wanted some advice on options on what people have tried without pulling their hair out.

I do have the Quickwheels masks already but if there are any other recommended items for that kit, feel free to enlighten me!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 - 07:08 AM UTC
The M1A2 SEP uses T-158LL tracks, which have center guide teeth that are hollow, as opposed to T-158 tracks which have solid center guide teeth. There are a few options for T-158LL tracks out there. Pretty much all the plastic ones are muti-part tracks like the kit ones though. Fruil only makes T-158 tracks.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 01:22 AM UTC
Ok - any suggestions on something plastic that is a little easier to assemble than the rfm tracks?
U-mark
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 02:00 AM UTC
I've built both the RFM and DEF Model tracks. I don't know which is more accurate, but they were each a multi piece exercise on trying not to be bored out of my mind. Both go together differently and I didn't think one was easier than the other. That said i think the RFM tracks are the better of these two. I do suspect the DEF guide horns are more accurate than RFM's, which look a bit undersized. So far the easiest kit provided link tracks I've built are Meng's Merkava tracks. Just two pieces, top and bottom.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 02:01 AM UTC
Def Model out of Korea has a set that has minimal parts to add. Even though they say T-158, they are T-158LL tracks with the open guide teeth.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 02:01 AM UTC
What Gino said about accurate plastic tracks.
Bronco makes a movable T-158LL track set, #AB3522, 4pcs per link, 8 attachment points to clean up .
Not what you're looking for I know. That's why they're sitting on my shelf. Too much work. I'd be curious if there are other options out there also.
Good Luck !
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 02:12 AM UTC
If you/he don't/doesn't care about total accuracy, the AFV Club T-158 tracks are one-piece each that are combined by just adding the end connectors. They are pretty easy to deal with. They are T-158 tracks with solid center guide teeth as opposed to T-158LL tracks with open guide teeth though.

I sent a PM that may help too. Check your messages.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 03:40 AM UTC
I have assembled the Def Model set as they are included in one of the Academy offerings if memory serves and I found them easy to assemble with minimal clean up if care is taken during removal.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 04:16 AM UTC
Thanks for the input guys - really appreciated. After chatting with him, he would really like to have ago at the RFM tracks in the kit but the whole gluing without having the pins grab TOO much and also the overall brittleness/weakness when finally putting on the model.

I suggested the Friuls for his recently competed RMF Panther (which I always prefer for the strength factor on the final join)

Any tips from guys who have done the RMF tracks a few times? And will look into all these other options. I would think he wants to stay as authentic with the hollow guide horns.

Also as an aside, I have the QuickWheel set for RMF 5004 here ….assuming it's the same for the RMF A1A2 with Full Interior? Assuming so but want to confirm ...

Thanks again for all the input - these forums are an amazing source to save headaches.
Brianlee
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 04:21 AM UTC
Looks like the DEF Model ones require not glue at the pivot point?

Only the shoes?
 _GOTOTOP