_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
CCKW tow hooks
PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi, truck experts,

Considering the Hobby Boss gasoline tanker to become my next stash reducer, I studied the Doyle book on the Jimmy. To find out (p.121) that these trucks had no towing pintles. Instead, there were two tow hooks bolted to the outsides of the frame rails. These look just like those on the front bumper in the photos, BUT: The hook tips bend upwards from the centerline of their base plates.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a sufficiently lit pic showing the front hooks from above, but the way their baseplates are placed gives me the notion that here, too, the hook points are bent. Which would mean that all these hooks are "handed" left and right and thus all Jimmy kits are wrong here, from Peerless thru HB (just like in the bad old days when all Jerry cans had only one massive handle) ...

Please let me know whether I'm right or wrong and where I might get "bent" hooks, at least for the rear positions on the tanker!

Peter
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 12:03 PM UTC
If you look closely at the hooks on the front of the CCKW the bases for the hooks are triangular. When mounted the triangles are not lined up straight with the frame, but at an angle. The small end bolted to the inner edge of the frame (towards the cab), and the outer bolt of the large end is on the outer edge of the frame (towards the front). The hooks twist slightly to line up with the frame. Depending on the abuse the truck took in it's life, the twist can be very noticeable.

The real experts can correct me, but I believe the hooks are left side or right side, but it's been a long time since I had a CCKW frame in the yard.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 12:52 PM UTC

For reference only!

From the book The GMC A Universal Truck. This view shows the hooks are left and right, with the twist. More or less standard on the CCKW's. Hope this helps.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 08:59 PM UTC
CCKW front towing hook, passenger side :

(I guess it's the one you can see in this picture )

Driver side :

H.P.

PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC
Thank you, Henri-Pierre!
Exactly what I wanted - so now we need somebody in the aftermarket to give us the parts to keep our 1/35 workshops busy... Any takers?
Peter
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 07:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you, Henri-Pierre!
Exactly what I wanted - so now we need somebody in the aftermarket to give us the parts to keep our 1/35 workshops busy... Any takers?
Peter

You could try bending, (VERY carefully), a pair of Standard(?) Hooks from another 1/35 Jimmy kit- HELLER, ITALERI, TAMIYA..? I've done that before, myself... I wouldn't look for any after-market US-type Hooks in the next century...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2019 - 03:15 AM UTC
If someone can give me ballpark dimensions I might be able to modify a 3D hook model I have into these. it doesn't matter if the dims are full scale or in 1/35. As long as nothing goes smaller than .3mm, Shapeways should print it.

EDIT: I may have a CCKW in the stash... I'll check tonight.
 _GOTOTOP