_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Academy turns 50, and celebrates by releasing
knewton
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 1,092 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 07:38 PM UTC
Anything you’d care to suggest? A 1/35 LCAC, MV 22B, CH 53? Or, a late mid production Tiger with interior. Oh, wait, that’s been done.

I hope it is not the Brummbar as posted in their catalog.
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 09:44 PM UTC
I know it's not armour (although it is 1/35) but their forthcoming AH-1Z does look tempting.

http://mmzone.co.kr/mms_tool/mt_view.php?mms_db_name=mmz_media&no=4501
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 09:59 PM UTC
Tempting indeed
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 10:26 PM UTC
That does look to be some very impressive moulding regardless of how you feel about the subject.
Reforger-Victim
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 10:54 PM UTC
I wish it would be AH-1G version instead....a new OH-58A Kiowa in 1/35 would be nice,too
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 11:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anything you’d care to suggest? A 1/35 LCAC, MV 22B, CH 53? Or, a late mid production Tiger with interior. Oh, wait, that’s been done.

Right you are!

I expect you'll receive some negative commentary from SOME people. If so, I empathize...

Until TAMIYA released their M10 TD and their M4A3E8 kits, not many people complained about ACADEMY's kits of the same subjects. Of course not; much attention, (too much so, IMO) was being paid to the likes of MENG, TAKOM, RYE FIELD, etc over Tigers, Panthers, Bergepanthers, and the like. Naturally, ACADEMY will only rate a few "HO-HUMS". Personally, I'd like to see ACADEMY,(or KITTY HAWK, for that matter), "up-scale" their/GALLERY's HH-34/UH-34-series helicopters to 1/35 scale. These were pretty common during the earlier stages of the Vietnam War, and I think these deserve a fair shake. Some of you make think that the HH-34/UH-34 may be "too big" for 1/35 scale; I beg to mention TRUMPETER's CH-47A & CH-47D kits in 1/35, which are quite a bit bigger than an HH-34/UH-34... Comments, anyone?
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Right you are!

I expect you'll receive some negative commentary from SOME people. Until TAMIYA released their M10 TD and their M4A3E8 kits, not many people complained about ACADEMY's kits of the same subjects. Of course not; much attention, (too much so, IMO) was being paid to the likes of MENG, TAKOM, RYE FIELD, etc over Tigers, Panthers, Bergepanthers, and the like. Naturally, ACADEMY will only rate a few "HO-HUMS". Personally, I'd like to see ACADEMY,(or KITTY HAWK, for that matter), "up-scale" their/GALLERY's H-34/UH-34-series helicopters to 1/35 scale. These were pretty common during the earlier stages of the Vietnam War, and I think these deserve a fair shake...

The AH-1Z is nice but 1 35 scale helos take up too much shelf space id like to see one or all of the following M88A2 Hercules,M104 Wolverine AVLB and the new Joint Assault Bridge
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wish it would be AH-1G version instead....a new OH-58A Kiowa in 1/35 would be nice,too

Hi, Matt- ACADEMY did do an earlier variant of the AH-1 at one time. I have one in my stock, but I forget which variant it is. The kit is in another location at the moment, otherwise I could check it for you. This kit can still be found on Ebay, if you want to take the time to look for it...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Right you are!

I expect you'll receive some negative commentary from SOME people. Until TAMIYA released their M10 TD and their M4A3E8 kits, not many people complained about ACADEMY's kits of the same subjects. Of course not; much attention, (too much so, IMO) was being paid to the likes of MENG, TAKOM, RYE FIELD, etc over Tigers, Panthers, Bergepanthers, and the like. Naturally, ACADEMY will only rate a few "HO-HUMS". Personally, I'd like to see ACADEMY,(or KITTY HAWK, for that matter), "up-scale" their/GALLERY's H-34/UH-34-series helicopters to 1/35 scale. These were pretty common during the earlier stages of the Vietnam War, and I think these deserve a fair shake...

The AH-1Z is nice but 1 35 scale helos take up too much shelf space id like to see one or all of the following M88A2 Hercules,M104 Wolverine AVLB and the new Joint Assaulr Bridge

I can understand your thoughts on 1/35 Helos taking up too much shelf-space. I don't really model 1/32 or 1/35 aircraft, precisely for the same reasons. Lately, there has been a huge trend in 1/32 subjects in the Aircraft-modeling community- Take for instance, the new 1/32 B-24 Liberator kit, by whoever-it-is, (the manufacturer's name escapes me at the moment), which I'm sure, takes up LOADS of space... Not to argue with you, but on the other hand, a 1/35 "Dragon Wagon", or a FAMO Half-Track with the Sd.115 Trailer, or an M1070/M1000 ensemble take up quite a bit of space, too... Lot's of guys out there don't even give the space these completed kits take up a second thought...
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 11:30 PM UTC
Forget it, just forget it. Academy gets no respect. Their Brummbar will probably blow away Tamiya's but the big T is who they are and Academy is the also ran who gets no respect no matter what they pull off.

Academy's M4A3E8 is better than Tamiya's. T's has some neat engineering and molding but every handle is solid. No one is ever looking out their periscope on a Tamiya tank. Molded shut. And a bunch of other little things but Tamiya gets respect and Academy gets shown the doghouse. I got a bunch of Academy Shermans so I can properly dress up the lackluster Tamiya ones with stupid stuff like periscope guards, periscopes, grab handles.

Cripes even Dragon couldn't be bothered to put separate grab handles or open periscopes on all their kits.

When it comes to aircraft it's a different story.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2019 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Forget it, just forget it. Academy gets no respect. Their Brummbar will probably blow away Tamiya's but the big T is who they are and Academy is the also ran who gets no respect no matter what they pull off.

Academy's M4A3E8 is better than Tamiya's. T's has some neat engineering and molding but every handle is solid. No one is ever looking out their periscope on a Tamiya tank. Molded shut. And a bunch of other little things but Tamiya gets respect and Academy gets shown the doghouse. I got a bunch of Academy Shermans so I can properly dress up the lackluster Tamiya ones with stupid stuff like periscope guards, periscopes, grab handles.

Cripes even Dragon couldn't be bothered to put separate grab handles or open periscopes on all their kits.

BRAVO, Bravo!!! You just said a mouthful! AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!! I saw virtually NO negative press when TAMIYA did their M4A3E8 kit, even though it was released fairly recently. Yes, I'll say it too:

TAMIYA could have done a MUCH better job with their 1/35 "Easy-Eight". On the other hand, their just-released 1/48 # 61119 Spitfire Mk.I kit is an excellent box-full of plastic...

There is definitely a "snob-clique" out there when it comes to 1/35 Armor and Soft-skins. In the model Aircraft community, not so much. Us die-hard "Wing-Thing" guys will take the CRUDEST aircraft kit on the market, and manage to turn it into a show-stopper. And that's without "drop-in" after-market parts, either. No complaints or nit-picking, only kudos for a job well done. Much cleaner atmosphere, if you ask me...

PS- And the HO Scale Modeling community is even friendlier...
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know this will raise hell with some people, but this is a hobby about model building, right? I literally just finished two of the Tamiya Easy 8’s. it took me all of 1 hour to cut off, sand and fashion new handles out of wire for both models.

It seems allot of people want to be spoon fed when it comes to model building.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 01:43 AM UTC
I agree about the snobbery regarding tamiya and to some degree academy, I ran into that on YouTube when a well known shop owner and builder does kit building demonstrations.

I simply stated it would be nice to see another brand of kit being bit e.g. afv club...well in short time the haters started coming out of the wood work... I thank god I'm not on Facebook or Twitter if this what you have to face for daring to suggest a different make or brand should be built.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I know this will raise hell with some people, but this is a hobby about model building, right? I literally just finished two of the Tamiya Easy 8’s. it took me all of 1 hour to cut off, sand and fashion new handles out of wire for both models.

It seems allot of people want to be spoon fed when it comes to model building.

..... not only in model building .....
pod3105
Visit this Community
Waterford, Ireland
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 04:36 AM UTC
As a university lecturer, I can concur with that 100%!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Until TAMIYA released their M10 TD and their M4A3E8 kits, not many people complained about ACADEMY's kits of the same subjects. ... Comments, anyone?

That statement is factually incorrect. Plenty of people complained about the Academy M10s (and the AFV Club M10s) when they came out because of shape and size errors with the hulls and turrets.

Regarding their HVSS Sherman, check out the PMMS review. (On top of what Terry writes, the dozer is also dimensionally off.)

You should also remember their M12. People loved it until they found out it was .080 too narrow. How about their M18? AFV Club issued one around the same time and the line I recall is "probably the worst kit from both companies". How about the new Sheridan? Highly anticipated until it turned out to be so awful (worse than the old Tamiya kit, as I recall). They had a new ONTOS, you'll recall. People could live with the detailing issues but the suspension was hosed making it unbuildable for many. They came out with new M3 lights, but made the turret way too small like Tamiya did ages before, and screwed up the fenders and side skirts. They released a M3 medium, but again, couldn't get they suspension right. On the other hand, they have made some good kits recently, their Jagdpanzer 38 and M60A2 for example. Academy's reputation of being hit-or-miss, even within the same kit, is well-earned.

One has to keep in mind that comparing Academy to Tamiya is an exercise many modelers don't bother to join. From my own experience, I know what to expect from both companies. Unless they have a subject that is not issued by anyone else, I think long and hard about buying one of their kits because they involve more work to get where I want my models to be than something from one of the "newer" companies.

KL
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC
Kurt comes to the rescue with the blazing sword of Truth and the deadly lance of Reason!

Way to go Kurt!

/ Robin
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kurt comes to the rescue with the blazing sword of Truth and the deadly lance of Reason!

Way to go Kurt!

/ Robin

i thought health & safety had banned those items as they're far to dangerous to have people waving them around lol
manicmodeler
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 05:33 AM UTC
I wish they would re release the IDF M113 Fitter, and the 1/35 M151a1 Shmira.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Way to go Kurt!

/ Robin

i thought health & safety had banned those items as they're far to dangerous to have people waving them around lol

Not here in America. We swing whatever we want!

I had a question or two regarding the aircraft markings. The box art shows just the German Cross, with no US insignia, but the Instructions show US Insignia below and behind the shoulder of the pilot. Which would be correct. And was this unit allowed to have 2 national emblems on the side? Or am I mistaking the cross for something else?

system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Until TAMIYA released their M10 TD and their M4A3E8 kits, not many people complained about ACADEMY's kits of the same subjects. ... Comments, anyone?

That statement is factually incorrect. Plenty of people complained about the Academy M10s (and the AFV Club M10s) when they came out because of shape and size errors with the hulls and turrets.

Regarding their HVSS Sherman, check out the PMMS review. (On top of what Terry writes, the dozer is also dimensionally off.)

You should also remember their M12. People loved it until they found out it was .080 too narrow. How about their M18? AFV Club issued one around the same time and the line I recall is "probably the worst kit from both companies". How about the new Sheridan? Highly anticipated until it turned out to be so awful (worse than the old Tamiya kit, as I recall). They had a new ONTOS, you'll recall. People could live with the detailing issues but the suspension was hosed making it unbuildable for many. They came out with new M3 lights, but made the turret way too small like Tamiya did ages before, and screwed up the fenders and side skirts. They released a M3 medium, but again, couldn't get they suspension right. On the other hand, they have made some good kits recently, their Jagdpanzer 38 and M60A2 for example. Academy's reputation of being hit-or-miss, even within the same kit, is well-earned.

One has to keep in mind that comparing Academy to Tamiya is an exercise many modelers don't bother to join. From my own experience, I know what to expect from both companies. Unless they have a subject that is not issued by anyone else, I think long and hard about buying one of their kits because they involve more work to get where I want my models to be than something from one of the "newer" companies.

KL

What you say about these releases is true. I'd add that their Iraq M1A1 is one of the worst kits ever made accuracy-wise, and their Merkava 3 is pretty hopeless.

But the flipside of the argument is they've got a lot better. Their new-tool kits over the past five or so years (e.g. K2, K1A1, M1A2, CV-90) have been mostly excellent and, once you get to comparing them in detail to good reference and even more 'prestige' brands you realise Academy have done their homework. In some cases they've collaborated with companies like DEF to get details right. So dismissing Academy as a brand as mediocre was probably reliable five or so years ago, not so much anymore.
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or am I mistaking the cross for something else?

The cross is part of HMLA-169's insignia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMLA-169
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 06:32 AM UTC
I wish they would release more 1/72 armor. There kits were not the best but not the worst. I always thought they were reasonably priced for what you got, especially if HobbyLobby carried them and you had a 40% off coupon...
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 06:58 AM UTC
And despite the accuracy issues,, I have still always thought that Academy kits were good value for the money... Fairly easy to construct --- no, not a Tamiya-like smooth build, but not a frustrating, joy-killing exercise in over-engineering, either. Always a good canvas to add detail or make modifications or just get the kit built...

Also, the only company to release a 1/35 Merkava IID, so my hat's off to them for that.

Enjoyed their M113 and would love them to turn it into an AVLB version... Sure, AFV Club has the more detailed version, but they can take forever to release a kit, and like many companies, sometimes promise kit variants which never show up for years (or until another company announces it)...

Of course, I want my kits to be as accurate as possible, but sometimes it is what it is, so you either work with it or pass it by. I bought and built their Sheridan, faults and all...

Back to the Academy anniversary...

Great suggestion! Man, a 1/35th scale LCAC would literally and figuratively would be a MASSIVE release!!! They'd have to tool it so you could screw in some table legs underneath allowing the modeler could turn it into a coffee table! Imagine drinking your morning coffee off of the cargo deck of that beast.

Would also welcome a a 1/35 H-34... While not as ubiquitous and iconic as the Huey, it is still a helo representative of the Vietnam War and has a very unique show. Fans of the TV show "Riptide" or the movie "Full Metal Jacket" would probably be happy as well...

Lastly, and slightly unrelated, I thoroughly enjoyed the Tamiya M4A3E8 build and while the solid grab handles were an unwanted throwback, it did not take a whole lot of time to remedy, so given how pleasant the build was, it was not a spoiler for me and I'd build one again in a heartbeat.

Different strokes for different folks...right?

Happy Anniversary, Academy! Keep those kits coming!!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2019 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Or am I mistaking the cross for something else?

The cross is part of HMLA-169's insignia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMLA-169

Thank you
 _GOTOTOP