_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
P.E. parts help needed
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi all,

well here is my problem, i don't own any fancy P.E. folding tools and the part i am trying to be or should i say curve fits the exhaust of a 1/35 british scimitar produced my afv club.

now the kit originally came with some nickel coated P.E. which was a nightmare to work with so i'm wonder what would be the best way to"roll" this piece to make it fit the curved contours of the exhaust.

the kit instructions suggest you use some sort of 5mm drill bit but i am loathed to try this as i did it with the original P.E. that came with the kit and it just wouldn't work properly.

hints and tips welcomed
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 04:44 AM UTC
I've heard the kit provided exhaust cover should be heated to help it bend but haven't tried it yet.

I'd suggest finding a dowel rod from a DIY store or plastic styrene rod.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 04:45 AM UTC
Here's a related thread that may help...

https://www.reddit.com/r/modelmakers/comments/5vijex/how_to_annealing_the_photo_etch_in_a_simple_way/

H.P.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 04:58 AM UTC
If I have to anneal some brass PE I simply put the entire sheet (or the individual part) in the oven on an old cookie sheet - 450 or higher for about 30 minutes and then let it cool slowly.

Other metals will require different temperatures/different times. Google "annealing temperature for _________" to find recommendations.

This should take the "temper" out of the metal and it should then bend more easily.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 05:06 AM UTC
Yes-- annealing brass and nickle plated brass is the best way to soften it to get it to roll. The best method is to pass it through a small flame source momentarily. I use a small butane torch, but a lighter or even a candle will do--However, be careful not to overheat it to the point it melts. You should have no problem rolling it after. If you want to restore it to the original strength, heat it again and plunge it into a cup of ice water (not always necessary to do this however, only for parts that require some strength.
VR, Russ
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 05:10 AM UTC
Another idea that works along the same lines as the sponge idea above: Using a drill bit or piece of rod of about the correct size push the metal into something like putty or "play-doh" to force it to wrap around the rod.

Remember the metal will have some spring or "memory" (unless heavily annealed) so start with a rod of a larger size than the intended finished diameter and work the PE progressively to a tighter and tighter bend. At the end you may be using a rod smaller than the finished desired size, this will allow so the PE can "spring back" to the desired finished diameter.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 05:17 AM UTC
What they said... works.
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 06:43 AM UTC
well I've made a pigs bottom of the kit supplied P.E. parts but I do have the eduard P.E. set waiting in the wings, so I will look at that.. hopefully it bends easier than the nickel coated version.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 08:55 AM UTC
If possible put the nickel parts even the messed up on a tray and anneal them. Smooth them out and try again. Some might be salvageable.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well I've made a pigs bottom of the kit supplied P.E. parts but I do have the eduard P.E. set waiting in the wings, so I will look at that.. hopefully it bends easier than the nickel coated version.

Don't get your hopes up-- nickel coated has nothing to do with malleability. The thickness of the brass is what makes the difference. In order to bend thicker brass, it needs to be anealled, plain and simple. I've managed to restore bent up parts by flattening them out with a steel roller, and starting over again, you might give that a try, but you will still need to anneal the brass, no mater what. Take it from me, I scratch build in brass, and the only way to get thicker brass to work, nickeled or not, is to anneal. The nickel coating is simply a method to keep quality brass from corroding over long periods of time, and is so thin as to be negligible.
VR, Russ
Klaus-Adler
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2019 - 02:59 PM UTC
thanks for all your help guys, I'm gonna have a look on YouTube to see if there are any how to videos there.
 _GOTOTOP