_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gluing together Trumpeter rubber band tracks?
Mckenna35
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 05:24 AM UTC
I have the Trumpeter 1/72 E-50 which comes with rubber band tracks. The instructions don't have an indicator to show the heat and smash method of joining the ends together (the tracks don't have anything built into them to support this method), but they also don't show any indicator of what to glue them together with. Just curious if anyone had any experience with these. Do they respond to Tamiya Extra thin, or would super glue be a good choice? Don't think anyone makes aftermarket tracks for these?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 06:07 AM UTC
I would go with CA glue but glue before you paint them.
Axis23
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 08:07 AM UTC
It might be a good idea to use a couple of stitches with a fine needle and thread. I have done that before when rubber band tracks were the only option and super glue wouldn't hold. You can easily hide the stitches on the bottom of the road wheels or behind track guards.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 09:41 AM UTC
@Michael,

Without seeing pictures of the tracks it's hard to really suggest what method you should use for attaching them as Trumpeter has used different materials and methods in the past including for the same model. That being said, it might be good for you to go to the Trumpeter section at the "Henk of Holland" site as he makes a note of the track issues and a possible solution. You can find this by going to HENKS TRUMPETER AREA. He notes the process he uses there.

Cheers,
Jan
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the Trumpeter 1/72 E-50 which comes with rubber band tracks. The instructions don't have an indicator to show the heat and smash method of joining the ends together (the tracks don't have anything built into them to support this method), but they also don't show any indicator of what to glue them together with. Just curious if anyone had any experience with these. Do they respond to Tamiya Extra thin, or would super glue be a good choice? Don't think anyone makes aftermarket tracks for these?

I have used regular Tamiya cement or Revell cement and then clamp them for 48 hours for the glue to cure. I haven't had any issue with them coming apart afterwards.

Mark
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 - 11:14 PM UTC
For tricky tracks I always use a staple or two. If the tank has sideskirts then just leave the staples in and they will hide them. If not then use the staples to keep the tracks together while the glue dries (plastic cement would be my first thing to try and then CA if that doesn't work like others have suggested). Once the glue is dry just use a pair of tweezers to remove the staples- just take care not to tear the rubber- I've found some rubber tracks to be more flimsy than others and prone to tearing.

I realise 1/72 tracks may be a bit small to use staples on (its not a scale I've worked in for a while) but I'm sure in that case some of the other excellent suggestions would work well.
 _GOTOTOP