_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Abrams - TF 4-64 Armor
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 05:27 PM UTC
I've been working on an OIF I M1A1 Abrams, on and off, for more than a few years. It's the Dragon kit. It took a while for me to settle on the markings. A lot of the builds have focused on TF 1-64 Armor because of the two Thunder Runs. I was initially going with one of the tanks from A Company, 1-64 Armor. After doing a bit research - rereading Zucchino's Thunder Run, Conroy's Heavy Metal, and Lacey's Take Down I became fascinated with TF 4-64's fight stop the Iraqi counterattacks across the Tigris. The battle featured both tanks, Bradleys, and dismounted infantry.

I am depicting a plow tank from Jason Redmon's 2nd Platoon. I used model masters enamel - FS33531 over a preshade of black/tan. I haven't started weathering because I am not sure I like the base color. It seems a bit too brown compared to photos I have seen of OIF tanks. I am wondering whether I should apply an ochre filter or adjust the tint with oils. Any opinions?

This is my first attempt to include a pic in a post. Hope it works.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 08:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been working on an OIF I M1A1 Abrams, on and off, for more than a few years. It's the Dragon kit. It took a while for me to settle on the markings. A lot of the builds have focused on TF 1-64 Armor because of the two Thunder Runs. I was initially going with one of the tanks from A Company, 1-64 Armor. After doing a bit research - rereading Zucchino's Thunder Run, Conroy's Heavy Metal, and Lacey's Take Down I became fascinated with TF 4-64's fight stop the Iraqi counterattacks across the Tigris. The battle featured both tanks, Bradleys, and dismounted infantry.

I am depicting a plow tank from Jason Redmon's 2nd Platoon. I used model masters enamel - FS33531 over a preshade of black/tan. I haven't started weathering because I am not sure I like the base color. It seems a bit too brown compared to photos I have seen of OIF tanks. I am wondering whether I should apply an ochre filter or adjust the tint with oils. Any opinions?

Hi, Blain!

Here's something that may help you with your paint/color question-

Go To:

Armorama's ARMOR/AFV Forum-

There's a thread there on Page 3, second from the bottom. It is entitled:

"Paint Question" (It MAY move to Page 4 by the time you read my reply to your question)

Modern USA by DENIMO Jan. 20, 2019, By KruppCake

If you weather your Abrams with dirt, mud(?), accumulated gunk, dust, etc, it's quite likely that your original BASE COLOR will turn out to be almost unrecognizable. Read my suggestion about the "Paint Question" thread- That should answer your question and help you with your paint color concerns...

Good Luck!!!
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 - 09:38 PM UTC
Thank you for the suggestion. I realize color accuracy is a big can of worms. It is something that I have grappled with since returning to modeling - both armor and aircraft. There are so many factors to consider - lighting, perception, and individual differences with vision. Complicating the issue is the limitations of photography. Does a digital photo accurately capture the color of a vehicle or aircraft?

Thanks for curbing my unrealistic expectations. We'll see what it looks like as I apply some weathering.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think your tank looks fine! I use the same Model Master color on my tanks, only the acrylic instead of the enamel. Weathering will have a big impact on the overall color. I have used an orangish wash on my tanks, and you may find doing that will give you a color that looks more like you are expecting. Try it on the bottom of the tank hull first, let it dry, and see what you think.
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think your tank looks fine! I use the same Model Master color on my tanks, only the acrylic instead of the enamel. Weathering will have a big impact on the overall color. I have used an orangish wash on my tanks, and you may find doing that will give you a color that looks more like you are expecting. Try it on the bottom of the tank hull first, let it dry, and see what you think.

Thanks for your feedback. This is my first time doing the full weathering effect so progress has been slow.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 07:41 AM UTC
Looks good to me. I too use the MM Sand as a base for modern CARC tan. Once weathered, it looks spot on to the vehicles I served on.

Quoted Text

A tip on the pics from the gallery. When you select them, they post as a tiny thumbnail. To make them bigger, you can manipulate the code. You will see "/thumbs" in the code. Simply remove it and they appear full size.

https: //gallery3.kitmaker.net/data/31634 /thumbs /IMG_66411.JPG

Remove bolded part and you get this

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for the suggestion. I realize color accuracy is a big can of worms. It is something that I have grappled with since returning to modeling - both armor and aircraft. There are so many factors to consider - lighting, perception, and individual differences with vision. Complicating the issue is the limitations of photography. Does a digital photo accurately capture the color of a vehicle or aircraft?

Thanks for curbing my unrealistic expectations. We'll see what it looks like as I apply some weathering.

"Can of worms" is a good description. Speaking of photography, if you have good reference materials, compare the differences in color photographs of US equipment outdoors. You'll find that there are as many different shades of CARC "Sand" as there are photographs of equipment painted in that color. DON'T get me going on WWII US Olive Drab!!!
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 05:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good to me. I too use the MM Sand as a base for modern CARC tan. Once weathered, it looks spot on to the vehicles I served on.

Quoted Text

A tip on the pics from the gallery. When you select them, they post as a tiny thumbnail. To make them bigger, you can manipulate the code. You will see "/thumbs" in the code. Simply remove it and they appear full size.

https: //gallery3.kitmaker.net/data/31634 /thumbs /IMG_66411.JPG

Remove bolded part and you get this

Thanks, Gino!
B2Blain
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2019 - 08:03 AM UTC
I chipped the plow blades using the hairspray technique - my first time. I am not sure if I want to go with it. I was thinking about going with a more subtle approach. I don't think they used the plows during OIF that much - in a few instances using them against jersey barriers and using them to push technicals. It would seem most of the wear would occur during training.

Here is a pic from Robert Burik's book Thunder Run. It shows a lot of wear.

_GOTOTOP