_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M109A6 Paladin Accesories Help
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi guys! I have pulled my AFV club M109A6 down from the shelf of doom with the intent of finishing it up.

I have a few questions about painting the accessories though and was hoping someone could help. Really just looking for a bit of a heading check.

First off the tracks. Since I am planning on a desert display, I was going for a dusty appearance on the tracks. My plan is as follows:

1. Base color of Tamiya Sand/Earth mix
2. Pigments to get a nice sandy/dusty appearance probably use 2 or 3 different sand/dust tones for variation
3. Dry brush the track pads in a dark gray rubber color

Does that seem like it will turn out ok? Should I start will some metallic color perhaps? maybe some other intermediate steps? This is my first attempt and modern tracks, so I am just not sure where to start really.

Next up is the water and gas cans. My plan was to use Tamiya OD green for some, Nato Black for some and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions of what paint color to use for the sand colored water cans?

Last question, the MG tripod that is strapped to the front of the turret, in my reference photos it appears to be green, which makes sense, but is that right?

Thanks for the help folks!
Mike
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 05:04 AM UTC
Here is a build you can use for comparison.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 05:24 AM UTC
Yo are pretty much on for the track painting. I also hit the metal parts with some gunmetal or aluminum on the edges and parts that grind together. When tracks move in the desert or any sand/dirt environment the parts that make contact become polished, shiny metal.

NATO or dark green is fine for teh bipod as well.

For the water/fuel jugs, they are all plastic.

Water jugs (single handle) usually come in sand or black.

Fuel cans have the 3 handles and come in a medium brown color.
Testor's Model Master Field Drab is what I use on them.

There is also a decontamination aparatus (R29, R30) in the kit. It has a black water jug and NATO green box that contains the hose, brush, and nozzle.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 - 11:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the link Bill, very nice build and will be very helpful.

Thanks for the input Gino, i really appreciate the help. Do you have a recommended color you use for the sand colored water jugs? I was thinking maybe Vallejo Sand perhaps.

Thanks again guys
Mike
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 02:47 AM UTC
None of my 5 gallon cans are the same shade of sand. Add to that, most are more of a desert pink color. I tried to show that in this photo but without a flash (battery was too low) you can't see the difference, nor can you see that both are noticeably darker than the CARC sand colored component in the foreground At the very least, my advice is don't go with the same color you use on the vehicle. Maybe I'll try another photo later. Preparing for a trip at the moment.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

None of my 5 gallon cans are the same shade of sand. Add to that, most are more of a desert pink color.

I've always tried to use the old 1980s Tamiya modern armor sprue color. The one they used for the M1 Abrams, M151A2 Jeeps and Bradleys. It's sort of a tan, more of a pink flesh color.

Not the same color of the sprues from newer modern vehicles like the M1A1, ODS Brad, etc. those are more of a desert yellow color.
mmarchioli
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 04:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the help guys, I think i have some ideas.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP