_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dragons Whittmans Tiger arrived today
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 11:21 AM UTC
It is a two in one late Tiger kit with zimm. It comes with 4 decal options and DS track. I was hopping for indy link but... I did not get cyberhobbies Last Whittmans Tiger so I can't say if it the same or if their have been upgrades. The photo etch appears limited to the rear grill screens and airducts for the radiators.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Friday, February 01, 2019 - 11:42 AM UTC
I'm surprised there aren't a few more goodies with that kit. Gonna do a build log?

Gaz
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 12:01 AM UTC
Is this a TRUE new offering or a recycled kit with new decals & figure ?
And, did David Byrden have any input in this release ?
Heck, I haven't built a Tiger in 2 years.....
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 03:53 AM UTC
David can provide information on any new features this kit might have. This is my first Dragon late tiger so I have no reference. Scalemates might be able to provide some answers.

I am mildly surprised that this kit has gone under the radar. I know many are over Tigered but this represents the legendary Tiger.

My guess is this is the standard Dragon late command Tiger with a few changes to allow you to make The Tiger Whittman died in.

This kit comes with a special Michael Whittman figure.

I already have a set of Friules for this kit.

panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 04:08 AM UTC
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dragon-6800-wittmanns-last-tiger--1178142
Dan
BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was hopping for indy link but...

While Dragon has tooling to mold magic tracks for this kit, they are molded with solid guide horns. So you're not really missing out on much. Fruils or Masterclub tracks are the way to go.

My first Dragon Tiger 1 kit build was the Whittman early kit that came out in 2017. I think the dragon kits are pretty good and it built up quite nicely. I have three more in the stash to build.
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 09:17 AM UTC
It really isn't that exciting. I've got the kit (only because it was on sale) and if you compare it with the Late Tiger with Zim (6383) the only new sprue is the figure, and of course the decals are new. 6383 doesn't have the sprue "d" which has different zimmerit patterns than the "D", but it isn't a new sprue. And then there are the command antenna set that's full of flash. Those are the only differences.

It'll build into a great Tiger no doubt, but there's nothing new here. I think Bryden explicitly stated he wasn't involved on FB.

Here is the side by side part lists of 6800 vs 6383.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 09:52 AM UTC
I picked up the original Cyberhobby white box kit a few years ago for a decent price,it had lots of extras and built up pretty nice.I swapped out the MT's for Fruils however.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 10:04 AM UTC
Thanks Dan & Cody ! Just what I figured, an expensive re-pop. Don't get me wrong, I love Dragon Tigers. Last one I built was their Orange Box, #9142 and it was really nice to build. But I won't be adding this to the stash.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2019 - 01:54 PM UTC
If David was involved with kit 6383 then he is indirectly involved with this kit. If he was not involved with 6383 then there was no involvement.

I do not know if there was anything unique to tank 007. I do not recall any photos offhand other than the ones with the turret upside down.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 03:38 PM UTC
It would also be interesting to know if it is simply just a rebox of CyberHobby 6610 which is from 2009.
At any rate, David discusses the kit on his tigerIinfo page...I don't know if he advised on the kit. The photo doesn't show if the tiger had a 25mm or 40mm roof, or if it has one or two sight holes in the mantlet. The sister command tank 009 had a 25mm roof and two holes in mantlet.
Perhaps it may be better to find the old Late Tiger 6253. You have to do the zimmerit but it comes with magic tracks, metal barrel, PE fret, optional mantlets, etc.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 05:03 PM UTC
With slide molding technology some tanks do not need a metal barrel. I already had a set of later Tiger track from Fruile. Unless there is a unique part or two, you are correct in thinking you probably get a better package deal with the other kit. Knowing Dragons penchant for not replacing something, you could try and get a decal set from RFM.

I am not bashing this kit. A Dragon Tiger is a great kit. Being Whitman's tank the price is up and disappointly, the goodies are down. A better deal can be had. RFM is less expensive. I haven"t seen the RFM kit so I can't attest to the accuracy but people are happy with it.

_GOTOTOP