_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
MV Product Clear Lenses?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 12:46 PM UTC
I am at the bottom of my stash on MV Product P/N 116 lenses. I use them on almost all my tank models. Great look to the model. Well, apparently, the company is out of business. Tried eBay and they are a scandal. A .90 cent part is selling for several dollars plus a hefty shipping fee. So, I turn to the forum once again.
Two questions:
1. Is there any model supplier who has these type clear lenses at a reasonable price?
2. Is there a reasonable substitute product to use?
Many thanks
DJ
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 12:53 PM UTC
walthers.com

Make the yourself with droplets of clear resin. Surface tension gives them convex outer surface. I have varying success with it - easier to just buy lenses.
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi DJ
Depending on the size you need, a piece of light gathering acrylic rod might do the trick - http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Strip-Shape/Circular-Rod/Item/Light-gathering-rod-2-4-500mm/ITM3570 - you need to polish the end - I use the old scalehardware sanding sticks with 4 grades, from coarse to superfine.
Also use the LGA rod to make beacon type lights - post 28 - http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=5614.msg51192#new -

Mal
Halbcl2
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 02:25 PM UTC
I often use Elf headlights. They are great, as they provide a clear (or coloured) lens, a bowl and a reflector. I order mine from Armor35.ru but I have also seen them on eBay.
http://armor35.ru/index.php?categoryID=284
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 02:39 PM UTC
I’ve been hunting them for months now and most of the places I usually buy from list them as out of stock. I tried sending an email to the manufacturer but never got any response back, wasn’t sure if they were still in business.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 02:45 PM UTC
I have not done this myself but I have seen our exhibit house carpenters do this many times. Cut the rod at the desire point. Holding the rod vertically with a pair of pliers and using an inexpensive propane torch, heat the cut end till it is about to flow then remove the heat. The end will form a slightly convex shape and be smooth as a drop of water.

I am told the same can be done with smaller rods using a kitchen match.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 03:09 PM UTC
For actual lenses SKP Products is my go to.

These are usually clear or colored (in the case of taillights) resin droplets deposited onto shinny sliver PE. They look extremely realistic and add a whole other dimension to a display model. Each set is specific to a particular vehicle or tank.

The headlights even have a fresnel pattern impressed into them. With the body reflectors you not only get the lens but you get the raised reflector frame in etch as well. (Item #4 in the photo)

As to price, well the price is the price. On eBay you can sometimes haggle the shipping/handling cost down or you can buy multiples at the same time and get a larger quantity all for one shipping cost.
xraytech
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 03:39 PM UTC
I have been checking the craft stores like Michael's or similar. Sometimes I can find the right size in the craft section. Failing that, I use an appropriate wiggle eye, pry the clear dome off and remove the eye. I have also found faceted jewels that fairly well simulate the new faceted led headlights. Hope you can find what you need.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 06:48 PM UTC
A company called small cars sells this product type.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A company called small cars sells this product type.

I bought a bunch of dots in several sizes from craft/papermaking suppliers on a well known auction site, a few £/$/€ for sheets of a 100.... but the one I used is no longer in business.

Paul Fitzmaurice (Formerly Little Cars)now trades in the UK as www.modellingtools.co.uk & does Little-Lenses, UKP/£2.00 for a pack of 6-8 in many sizes & colours
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 10:57 PM UTC
I have also at times used my assortment of different sized hole punches to cut lenses out of clear material. If punched on a semi-soft surface like one of those green cutting pads the clear circle will come out with a very nice convex profile.
Tank1812
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2019 - 11:07 PM UTC
I have used an alternative product from Sticko called shimmering silver dots.

http://www.ipmseaglesquadron.org/ES-Forums/index.php/topic,658.msg3051.html#msg3051

You have to find a new supplier as that link is dead. When I ordered from Amazon, I contacted the dealer about shipping, it was $0.32 for the product and $8 to ship. When I brought four or five sheets, they refunded a lot of the shipping cost.

This was a awhile ago so things might have changed.

Best of luck.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been checking the craft stores like Michael's or similar. Sometimes I can find the right size in the craft section. Failing that, I use an appropriate wiggle eye, pry the clear dome off and remove the eye. I have also found faceted jewels that fairly well simulate the new faceted led headlights. Hope you can find what you need.

I think you are onto something with the faceted jewels...I am going to look at Michael's....thanks
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 01:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For actual lenses SKP Products is my go to.

These are usually clear or colored (in the case of taillights) resin droplets deposited onto shinny sliver PE. They look extremely realistic and add a whole other dimension to a display model. Each set is specific to a particular vehicle or tank.

The headlights even have a fresnel pattern impressed into them. With the body reflectors you not only get the lens but you get the raised reflector frame in etch as well. (Item #4 in the photo)

As to price, well the price is the price. On eBay you can sometimes haggle the shipping/handling cost down or you can buy multiples at the same time and get a larger quantity all for one shipping cost.

Mike-- the price is "ouch" but worth try....many thanks
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 02:14 AM UTC
Just to broaden your choice (and empty your wallet...), you can look for Greif lenses. AK-Interactive sells them under their own brand. Looks like there are only 4 pieces per pack :

https://ak-interactive.com/product-category/tools-accesories/lenses/page/2/?orderby=sku-asc

H.P.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 03:41 AM UTC
I spent ages online a few weeks ago looking for MV lenses for some projects. Now I know why I couldn't find them!

The Little Lenses look great for the price so I'll order some of those. Thanks for the link.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you are onto something with the faceted jewels...I am going to look at Michael's....thanks

The faceted jewels look nothing at all like vehicle lights but look quite obviously to be rhinestones. If you are going to the effort to improve a kit, these are a step backwards. You are better off grinding out the solid lens, painting it silver, and filling it with Micro Krystal Klear before going with those.

Sadly, the craft stores sold smooth semi-spherical items before but I haven't been able to find them recently.

KL
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 05:51 AM UTC
The EK Success / Sticko brand silver shimmering epoxy dots are sadly no longer in production and have not been for several years.

They were a seasonal item at Michaels Arts & Craft Stores and then discontinued by the manufacturer.

I contacted the company directly and they stated that particular product was no longer being produced due to inadequate sales (they obviously never realized the modeling market).

A shame as they were very inexpensive, a large amount of size options in one package, and equally on par with MV Product lenses.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 06:35 AM UTC
A UK company called modellingtools.co.uk carries a range called 'Little Lenses' which come in a variety of colours, shapes and sizes. They are made in the same way as MV lenses.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 09:53 AM UTC
Check this out: Formation in Canada sells a kit of two lights and mounts as F050 ....$6 CD I ordered a bunch. There website is: formation models.com
They look like the MV line lenses but with add on mounts
Thanks
DJ
27-1025
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 10:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check this out: Formation in Canada sells a kit of two lights and mounts as F050 ....$6 CD I ordered a bunch. There website is: formation models.com
They look like the MV line lenses but with add on mounts
Thanks
DJ

Those look great, but their website indicates they use MV lenses and they are also trying source them which puts them in the same boat as the rest of us
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 12:55 PM UTC
Here are a couple of samples of the SKP product applied - Headlights and reflectors:

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Here are a couple of samples of the SKP product applied - Headlights and reflectors:

Mike...cannot argue they do look good. I am also pursuing that jewelry aspect (which I see a contributor said was a dead end)....the MV lenses are not individually made, they have to be from a mass produced source. Finding it is the challenge
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The faceted jewels look nothing at all like vehicle lights but look quite obviously to be rhinestones. If you are going to the effort to improve a kit, these are a step backwards. You are better off grinding out the solid lens, painting it silver, and filling it with Micro Krystal Klear before going with those.

Sadly, the craft stores sold smooth semi-spherical items before but I haven't been able to find them recently.

KL

Michael's carries the "smooth-spherical" "self stick" type in various sizes, but not where you'd expect them-- they are usually found in the paper goods-greeting cards section. At least that's where they are in our two local Michael's stores. They aren't bad looking. I haven't found them at all in Hobby Lobby yet. If you want realism, SKP is best, but they don't have sets for "every" vehicle "yet". I've had some luck making my own lenses from clear two-part epoxy and wax paper, applying a drop of epoxy to the paper, then prying them off later. I then apply a Molotov chrome pen to the back-- they look pretty good. The trick is to get the right sizes. Usually I make a couple of dozen at a time, trying to get the drops of epoxy the same size-- then I can mix and match smaller and larger drops. I've also had some success positioning a colored or clear glass "micro bead" (also available at Michael's) in the center of the "drop" to simulate a removable bulb, as in a bulb with a light reflector.
VR, Russ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 - 01:57 AM UTC
Russ-- thanks for the advice about Michael's...I'll go there this weekend
Thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP