_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF M32
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 - 07:53 PM UTC
Hi Gang, I want to build an IDF M32 recovery vehicle, to this end I have already purchased Italeri`s kit to use as a donor kit for the boom and turret but I need to know which kit would make the best hull. I don`t want to use anything from Dragon so which one would be best after that?.
Any suggestions would be a great help.
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 02:39 AM UTC
You are better off using the Asuka/Tasca M32B1 or buying their M32 sprues from their web site as the Italeri M32 has inaccurate turret and boom diameter to start with. The IDF used M32 and M32B1 (there’s even a picture of one with an E9 suspension floating around) and these were modified over the course of their service.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 02:48 AM UTC
Just a few reference pics :

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:M32_ARV_in_the_Yad_la-Shiryon_Museum

This one has seen better days...

http://svsm.org/gallery/m32

Sam Dwyer's build for inspiration :

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/idf-m32-circa-1973-t284538.html

H.P.
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 - 12:14 PM UTC
I sell the brackets to create an M32 and M32B3 on my Shapeways Store: https://www.shapeways.com/product/VGNH3P8S6/sherman-m32b3-brackets-and-fittings?optionId=65446933&li=shop-inventory
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gang, I want to build an IDF M32 recovery vehicle, to this end I have already purchased Italeri`s kit to use as a donor kit for the boom and turret but I need to know which kit would make the best hull. I don`t want to use anything from Dragon so which one would be best after that?.
Any suggestions would be a great help.

The Italeri M32 is a real dog for starters
the upper hull is incorrect for a M32 you need a M4A1 cast hull with small drivers hatches I believe dragon makes a M4A1 that will give you the correct upper hull and the M32 did not have the open spoked wheels either
and the cable used to erect the A-frame is missing
Das_Abteilung
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 - 11:36 AM UTC
The Italeri M32 parts are not as bad as some make out and are workable, but the Asuka are definitely better.

You definitely need a new hull. Either a small-hatch cast or welded radial-engined version for IDF. They didn't have any M32B3s. The Italeri hull brackets etc can be made to fit the older hull shape fairly easily.

Shapeways do indeed do a bracket set for the welded hull. They also do an accessory set for their M50 turret conversion that might have some useful parts and various spare wheels and brackets that might be useful, especially for an HVSS version. They do the late/post war recovery hook which can sometimes be seen on IDF vehicles: others have the hook brackets but no hook. Their IDF jerrycan brackets look nice but are in fact overly thick. The TWS IDF tank accessory set has useful parts including the smoke dischargers.

Some IDF M32s were fitted with HVSS. Many carried welding/ cutting gas bottles at the rear and other non-standard boxes and gear.

If you don't want to use a Dragon hull your options are severely limited. If you go for Tasca/Asuka then you might as well use their whole M32 and be done with. Nothing Italeri is usable: all their M4s have problems. The Tamiya M4 or M1 Super Sherman are possibilities for an M32 or M32B1 respectively.

I'm planning to cross-kit the Italeri M32 with an Academy M51 to make a late re-engined M32B1 HVSS, with the turret going to make one of the rare welded-hull M51s. You could use the Tamiya M51 too. As those kits includes other IDF fittings they could be a useful start if you can backdate the engine compartment without spending £20+ on the DEF Model M51 Aleph set. But then you need to swap the suspension and it gets expensive. AFAIK, all HVSS M32s had the Cummins engine swap and vice-versa.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 05:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I`m going to run with an Italeri/Academy kit bash, just by virtue of the fact of the cost of the Asuka kit which will be way beyond my price range with all the additions it`ll need.
Thanks Again.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers Buddy, I have ordered these today. I just had to wait until payday!.
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 11:17 AM UTC
If you need a set of instructions just message me on Shapeways and I’ll send you a copy.
Mike
HDS
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 11:55 AM UTC
The IDF did indeed use M32B3s, but they did go through some modifications. Check out my "Israeli Sherman, Second Edition" for detail photos of two museum examples.
1. There is an M32B3 (VVSS) at Latrun that had been modified to have a Continental Radial. Two things to note: a. the rear upper hull angle is sloped like the M4A3 with no indication of an insert to expand a basic M32. There is also significant evidence that the lower portion of the upper rear plate was cut off to allow for the radial air cleaners etc.
2. There is an M32A1B3 at The Collection Houses in Jaffa. It has the Cummins mods, including the fact that the lower portion of the upper rear plate was replaced, as on all Cummins Shermans. There are other features pertinent to the M4A3 series on both hulls.

As for a kit, the Asuka M32B1 is perfect to begin with for a cast hull version. Since there is no small-hatch M4A3 kit from the major guys today, there is an option to use the old MP Models hull conversion. It requires some work. as it dates back to 1987, as will any other small hatch hulls from today. I used an Asuka M4A4 hull and shortened it, replacing the antenna mount using one cut from an MP Models kit and making other mods to reflect an M4A3.

Hope this helps.

Tom Gannon
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The IDF did indeed use M32B3s, but they did go through some modifications. Check out my "Israeli Sherman, Second Edition" for detail photos of two museum examples.
1. There is an M32B3 (VVSS) at Latrun that had been modified to have a Continental Radial. Two things to note: a. the rear upper hull angle is sloped like the M4A3 with no indication of an insert to expand a basic M32. There is also significant evidence that the lower portion of the upper rear plate was cut off to allow for the radial air cleaners etc.
2. There is an M32A1B3 at The Collection Houses in Jaffa. It has the Cummins mods, including the fact that the lower portion of the upper rear plate was replaced, as on all Cummins Shermans. There are other features pertinent to the M4A3 series on both hulls.

As for a kit, the Asuka M32B1 is perfect to begin with for a cast hull version. Since there is no small-hatch M4A3 kit from the major guys today, there is an option to use the old MP Models hull conversion. It requires some work. as it dates back to 1987, as will any other small hatch hulls from today. I used an Asuka M4A4 hull and shortened it, replacing the antenna mount using one cut from an MP Models kit and making other mods to reflect an M4A3.

Hope this helps.

Tom Gannon

I sell a small hatch M4A3 engine deck on Shapeways to do a conversion that Tom describes to the Asuka M4A4: http://https://www.shapeways.com/product/KS2ZM2EEJ/m4a3-small-hatch-engine-deck?optionId=65446796&li=marketplace
Someone else sells the radio pots on Shapeways as well since the A4 pot is not quite the same as a small hatch A3.
I have an instruction sheet for the conversion if you need it as well.
Mike
HDS
HDSC2D
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 - 01:15 PM UTC
Here are the small hatch M4A3 radio pots: http://https://www.shapeways.com/product/SXREDDEC3/1-35-m4a3-early-radio-brackets?optionId=41278901&li=marketplace
 _GOTOTOP