_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Best King Tiger now, Meng Takom oder Dragon
darkkngiht69
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 - 03:19 PM UTC
so whats the consensus and any differences, early vs.late, Zimmerit vs non.
d111298pw
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 654 posts
Armorama: 638 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 - 06:32 PM UTC
My first question for you would be do you want a kit with a full interior or without?

If you want a full interior, then you go with one of the Takom kits. Meng does sell a separate turret interior kit, so you can add that as an additional cost to your Meng kit. But, it still lacks the hul interior and engine.

If you want a pre-September '44 version, then you require zimmerit. So, its better to buy one of the kits with the zimmerit molded on.

Do you want one of the first 47 units built with the original Krupp Turret? Or do you want the Series Turret?

Do you want individual track links (Takom/Dragon) or link and length (Meng) style.

If you better define what you really want, we can better direct you to the best options.
Kaktusas
Visit this Community
Vilnius, Lithuania
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 - 07:21 PM UTC
Don, Mark,

Meng interior kit is more complete and superior over Takom offering (oh well, there are differences here and there, some things are better done in one, others in other kit). Im currently in progress of building Meng offering.
However, there isnt much display options in this kit. If you want to do repair dio etc, you will have to rework some parts, as they are designed to be fixed inside, and not shown outside (due to molding simplifications etc). If you enjoy assembling, and dont mind covering things up - the kit is fine. And if you want zimmerith version, Meng decal type is horrible thing. There is/was no aftermarket set dedicated for this kit. So either you are good with paste, either wait for aftermarket.
If you dont care much about interior, and can find it cheap - go for Dragon. (else way, Takom is cheaper, even if you scrap the interior bits). Takom zimmerith is also far superior over the Dragon one.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 02:08 AM UTC
If you decide on Dragon,Dragonusaonline is always running sales where you might grab what you want at a discount

I always thought #6254 Ardennes Tiger was a great value,comes with a bunch of figures,PE,and indie tracks.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My first question for you would be do you want a kit with a full interior or without?

If you want a full interior, then you go with one of the Takom kits. Meng does sell a separate turret interior kit, so you can add that as an additional cost to your Meng kit. But, it still lacks the hul interior and engine.

If you want a pre-September '44 version, then you require zimmerit. So, its better to buy one of the kits with the zimmerit molded on.

Do you want one of the first 47 units built with the original Krupp Turret? Or do you want the Series Turret?

Do you want individual track links (Takom/Dragon) or link and length (Meng) style.

If you better define what you really want, we can better direct you to the best options.

Your information here about the Meng interior kit is incorrect.

The Meng interior kits (they have one for the Henschel turret and another fo the Porsche turret) do indeed feature full hull/engine detail. They are NOT simply a turret detail set.

phantom8747
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you decide on Dragon,Dragonusaonline is always running sales where you might grab what you want at a discount

I always thought #6254 Ardennes Tiger was a great value,comes with a bunch of figures,PE,and indie tracks.

Just bought one off ebay and was surprised it contained the correct metal barrel,when I 1st bought the Ardennes Kingtiger with new pattern track the barrell had a too short fume extractor on the metal version.I am surprised Dragon bothered to correct it!
 _GOTOTOP