Dr. Who Land Rover
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 02:24 PM UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZXGIUyLRE

I have wondered which model of Land Rover is this one.
MAD_DUCK
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 02:41 PM UTC
I don't know which model it is, but it would make a cool build, wish I hand a better look at the U.N.I.T decal. Be cool if the plates said Bad Wolf.
Vince
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 03:50 PM UTC
I believe it's a Series 3 88in wheel base. Monogram produced a kit back in the 70's. Left hand drive with a hard top in 1/24 scale.
VANDY1VX4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 05:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe it's a Series 3 88in wheel base. Monogram produced a kit back in the 70's. Left hand drive with a hard top in 1/24 scale.

I think ITALERI 3660 is coming back out this year in 1/24

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/01/preview-of-italeris-catalogue-new-items.html#more
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 06:10 PM UTC
Hi, it is a series3 canopy trucktop. Italeri do a swries 3 109 in 1/35. Azimut do a conversion to make an 88 trucktopm itus dor the tamiya seriea 2a but might be possiblw to make it fit.
Regarda Jason
TankManNick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 - 08:30 PM UTC
Plus several braztrillion for the monster
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, it is a series3 canopy trucktop. Italeri do a swries 3 109 in 1/35. Azimut do a conversion to make an 88 trucktopm itus dor the tamiya seriea 2a but might be possiblw to make it fit.
Regarda Jason

Great! I happen to have a 1/35 Revell Series 3 kit, and a Hornet head that looks very much like The Master. I assume the color is Depp Bronze Green in the video?
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 01:19 AM UTC
Seeing that clip made me sad, RIP Nicholas Courtney and Elisabeth Sladen.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I think ITALERI 3660 is coming back out this year in 1/24

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2019/01/preview-of-italeris-catalogue-new-items.html#more

Thank you for the link. The IVECO Lince crew looks cool.

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know which model it is, but it would make a cool build, wish I hand a better look at the U.N.I.T decal. Be cool if the plates said Bad Wolf.
Vince

It is this version

frank01
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 10:57 AM UTC
https://m.facebook.com/alx35/photos/a.615487295159482/615583521816526/?type=3&source=44&ref=page_internal
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 02:47 PM UTC
We need something bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's an idea: Maybe somebody could sell an exterior-only TARDIS kit that - like Meng's King Tiger - has an add-on interior that comes in a further eighty boxes.

I can imagine the modelling forums: "I encountered a few fit issues..."
babaoriley
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

LOL, the same thought occurred to me.
Chillidragon
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 - 11:15 PM UTC
Series 3, yes. The registration - 16DM33 - is a red herring; this should be a Series 2A FFR, but is neither.
It's clearly a civilian vehicle "militarised" as a film prop; look at the bumpers. Military LRs had a special pusher bumper installed at the front, with bumperettes at the rear.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Series 3, yes. The registration - 16DM33 - is a red herring; this should be a Series 2A FFR, but is neither.
It's clearly a civilian vehicle "militarised" as a film prop; look at the bumpers. Military LRs had a special pusher bumper installed at the front, with bumperettes at the rear.

Not really a surprise; Dr. Who was not known for having a large budget. In "The Giant Robot" they even used a toy tank.
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 12:53 AM UTC
Yes, “The Giant Robot” used an “Action Man” Scorpion tank, albeit very briefly.

The monster in the episode shown was, I believe, a glove puppet - it’s particularly evident in the last part of that story, where it attacks London and you only ever see the arm, er, the head and neck, appearing above the Embnkment on the Thames.

I started work on a decal sheet for 1/35 Landrovers in fall last year - plan is/was to include a variety of markings, mainly for real-world vehicles (For 1/35 Italeri/Revell series 3, both vanilla and w BSM/Minor mine-protected variants, plus Hobbyboss WMIK, and I’d planned to throw in some U.N.I.T. door logos if space permitted) but that’s in limbo right now due to some real-world stuff. Hope to get back on it in mid-late March.

Al
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 01:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not really a surprise; Dr. Who was not known for having a large budget. In "The Giant Robot" they even used a toy tank.

In "the Magician's Apprentice" the Doctor (Peter Capaldi) rides a Chieftain tank while playing an electric guitar.
Great diorama idea.
gtveloce65
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 05:16 AM UTC
Yes early Series III 88" with the old style 'non-deluxe' bonnet. The 1/35 Italeri Land Rovers are 109" long wheelbases and have incorrect 6 stud wheel hubs (should be 5) and deeper deluxe bonnets.

The Tamiya land rovers are SIIa but also have the deluxe bonnet, so whichever kit you choose there are changes to make if you want to model the Dr Who Land Rover. I was making a replica of my old SIIa 88 using the Tamiya kit - will try and dig out a photo or two!
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

… or smaller on the outside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6uGx7kf4Ng

Few people really understand how tight the budget was for Dr Who. A perfect example is the humanoid Krynoid from The Seeds of Death. The production budget was so tight that they ran out of money before they finished filming, so a costume used in the Claws of Axos was resurrected and had plastic strips added to it, then it was spray painted green, as there were no funds to create something new.

Even from the outset, the budget was tight. When William Hartnell fluffed a line they just kept going with it; they could not afford the cost of retakes! (his ailing health and the frequency of such issues was the reason for the first change in Doctor)

Laugh as we might now, you also have to remember special effects were very primitive 40 + years ago. Even more so in the 60's. Take The Zarbi as an example. An ant suit where human legs are clearly evident. Then there was another creature in that story that was a cockroach like thing, with fronds hanging down from the carapace. In some shots you can see the arm and leg of the person crawling around with the costume on his back.

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes early Series III 88" with the old style 'non-deluxe' bonnet. The 1/35 Italeri Land Rovers are 109" long wheelbases and have incorrect 6 stud wheel hubs (should be 5) and deeper deluxe bonnets.

The Tamiya land rovers are SIIa but also have the deluxe bonnet, so whichever kit you choose there are changes to make if you want to model the Dr Who Land Rover. I was making a replica of my old SIIa 88 using the Tamiya kit - will try and dig out a photo or two!

I wondered if any of the DEF Model replacement wheels would work, or if they are too modern:

http://www.defmodel.com/
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 09:47 PM UTC
Def models wheels are too new. They are for coilsprung land rovers and the tyres are of patterns introduced in the 80's/90's.
Axcurate armour do a good set and they are designed for both Italeri and Tamiya.

The British military did use stock s3 swb landrovers
. I remember seeing some in Weymouth in the early 1980's. Truck tops were sometimes used by the Royal Marines but were,I think all lwb. It is not too much of a stretch to think they used a few swb.

There is a Spanish company thet make swb s2a landies but i have lost the weblink for them. They did make hardtops, softtops and trucktops and maybe still do.

Regards Jason
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Def models wheels are too new. They are for coilsprung land rovers and the tyres are of patterns introduced in the 80's/90's.
Axcurate armour do a good set and they are designed for both Italeri and Tamiya.

. I remember seeing some in Weymouth in the early 1980's. Truck tops were sometimes used by the Royal Marines but were,I think all lwb. It is not too much of a stretch to think they used a few swb.

There is a Spanish company thet make swb s2a landies but i have lost the weblink for them. They did make hardtops, softtops and trucktops and maybe still do.

Regards Jason

And besides the DEF Model ones wouldn't fit the Italeri Rover anyway. I suppose we could use one of the later Rovers if it came to that; the Time Lords are time travelers anyway.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regards Jason

Could it have been ALX/35 or Cournil or whatever the name is?
https://cournil35.blogs.sapo.pt/

/ Robin
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 - 03:38 AM UTC
BSM makes a set of 1/35 Landy Series 2/3 Wheels (352003). Here's a link to their page: http://www.minor-web.com/BSM.html .
 _GOTOTOP