_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
News
Valkyrie: IDF & Egyptian Figures
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 - 08:52 AM UTC

After a long silence, Valkyrie Miniatures is back announcing two 1/35 scale figure sets as March 2019 releases.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
chrisw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 - 09:39 AM UTC
Oh, this is nice. The Egyptians are wearing the 1973 war assault vest, issued to the first wave of infantry to cross the Suez Canal. Gotta get me some of them!
jfeenstra
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 342 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 - 10:42 AM UTC
Interesting. These will be the first sets that Valkyrie release that are not vehicle related or meant to be posed in/on a tank/truck/bulldozer. This is great since their figures are really well done.
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 - 12:59 PM UTC
Lovely....just started to scratch build the Egyptian vest on some figures a month ago for a dio and BANG...thank you Valkyrie!!!! Please can we see another set or two of Egyptian Commandos...?
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 03:03 AM UTC
I am always agog when I see the bizarre Israeli headgear that their soldiers sometimes wear. Can anyone out there explain to me what the purpose of this can be, re: WHY does it look the way it does and does it have some weird purpose (two of them zipped together make a shelter?) I'd appreciate the insight.
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am always agog when I see the bizarre Israeli headgear that their soldiers sometimes wear. Can anyone out there explain to me what the purpose of this can be, re: WHY does it look the way it does and does it have some weird purpose (two of them zipped together make a shelter?) I'd appreciate the insight.

It's to break up the regular shape of the helmet making it harder to identify them as soldiers/people from a distance.
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Mitznefet (Hebrew: מִצְנֶפֶת‬) is a helmet covering for the infantry helmet used by the Israel Defense Forces as of 1994. It is considerably larger than the helmet, with a similar appearance to a chef's hat. The purpose of the floppy helmet cover is to break up the distinctive outline of a helmeted head and thus assist in the camouflage of the wearer. It also prevents light from reflecting off the helmet and can protect the wearer from sunlight.[1]

It was originally adapted in the 1990s for guerrilla warfare in the wood and bush land of south Lebanon, later changing to a two sided camouflage material, one for desert and one for woodland terrain. The Mitznefet is easily removable, and can be attached to the helmet while folded.[2]

The term comes from the mitznefet, or turban, worn by the high priest in the Temple of Jerusalem, originating in a Hebrew language root meaning "to wrap".
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 10:35 AM UTC
Thank you one and all for the info but, with no disparagement to the highly-professional IDF forces, it looks bigger than thew task would seemingly require and really makes it hard not to stare or break into a grin with images of chefs on maneuvers. Again, no insult intended but they are odd headgear for that purpose. But then maybe their oddity does make them work as intended...
 _GOTOTOP