_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Recce to the Odon !
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 02:41 AM UTC
Onto my next project. A unit from the 2nd Northants Yoemanry (29th armoured Bde,11th Ar. Div,British Army) Is being issued orders to recce the Odon bridge area near Tormouville by the Bde Command group,led by Brigadier Roscoe Harvey.

Work has commenced on a LTC in that group and also on Roscoe. Both Miniart figs with Hornet heads.

The LTC undercut,scribed,cleaned up and puttied.

About 90% painted.

Concurrently I was working on this old old Dragon fig and wrapped him up.

I didn't post much of him because there wasn't much interest.
Thanks for looking folks!
J
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 02:49 AM UTC
Looking good. I especially like the guy with the map board.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 03:26 AM UTC
Great start Jerry !!
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 03:33 AM UTC
Jerry,

Looking very forward to this!

I must just say that if the LTC you're depicting is the Commanding Officer of the Yeomanry, it is likely (and this is only supposition) that he would be wearing the Beret of his regiment, not necessarily the Service Cap. That said, and I know I'm muddying the waters here - some COs did wear different headgear precisely to identify themselves (a Sniper's dream one might think).

Anyway, I probably haven't helped much.

If this is linked to your earlier post re a Cromwell, as it piqued my interest I'm off to visit the Bovington archives next week in order to try and establish when the Yeomanry Squadron fitted the rubber protection to their tanks. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime ignore my somewhat unhelpful comments and keep up the good work!

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry,

I must just say that if the LTC you're depicting is the Commanding Officer of the Yeomanry, it is likely (and this is only supposition) that he would be wearing the Beret of his regiment, not necessarily the Service Cap. That said, and I know I'm muddying the waters here - some COs did wear different headgear precisely to identify themselves (a Sniper's dream one might think).

If this is linked to your earlier post re a Cromwell, as it piqued my interest I'm off to visit the Bovington archives next week in order to try and establish when the Yeomanry Squadron fitted the rubber protection to their tanks. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime ignore my somewhat unhelpful comments and keep up the good work!

Brian

Yes of course I see your point and well taken. This guy is supposed to be from Brigade HQ though and so I didn't know which direction to go with his headgear. The Brigadier will be included and I have a pic wearing the service cap in Normandy so......that was my motivation.
Waiting to see what rubber coating intel you might find.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 04:16 AM UTC
Steve and Cheyenne,thanks gents for the comments!
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 07:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jerry,

Brian

Yes of course I see your point and well taken. This guy is supposed to be from Brigade HQ though and so I didn't know which direction to go with his headgear. The Brigadier will be included and I have a pic wearing the service cap in Normandy so......that was my motivation.
Waiting to see what rubber coating intel you might find.
J

jerry,

More than happy to pass on whatever I unearth from the Northants Yeomanry War Diaries (which Bovington have promised).

Now, this is where you'll hate me for being a pedantic bastard: within a Brigade HQ - in 1944 let alone now - there are no Lieutenant Colonels. The rank structure (of a Brigade HQ's hierarchy) went from Brigadier to a Brigade Major, who was just that, a Major in rank. He was however a serious piece of work and these days he's known as a Chief of Staff. The method in the madness (of British Staff organisation) was that the de facto second in command of a Brigade HQ should not be of an equal rank to those Commanding officers (ie Lieutenant Colonels) of the subordinate units; ergo, a salient reminder that the HQ was the servant of those it commanded - if I'm not romanticising this all too much. It did mean that the BM, whilst inferior in rank to such COs, always spoke with his master's voice so any quibbling was always reduced, and BMs were men of considerable character and ability.

However, I've gotten carried away again. So, no Lieutenant Colonels in Brigade HQ, or come to that at Div HQ either. However, that does not mean to say that in wartime, extraneous officers were not blistered on to HQs as required. Personally, without hijacking your project, your vignette so far could reflect the Brigade Commander - ie a Brigadier - discussing things with his BM - a Major. A BM of such a formation may not even be from the Royal Armoured Corps, but from any branch of the Army, as were all Staff Officers. They would be selected on their ability, not necessarily cap badge. This means Service Caps all round!

I think I'll go and lie down now.

Brian
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 07:55 AM UTC
Jerry,

I've just thought - and this is where you really do need to tell me to take a hike - a meeting of a Brigade Commander, his BM, and a CO (ie of the Yeomanry) would be perfectly realistic and feasible - in other words typical and the norm.

That lie down still beckons.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry,

I've just thought - and this is where you really do need to tell me to take a hike - a meeting of a Brigade Commander, his BM, and a CO (ie of the Yeomanry) would be perfectly realistic and feasible - in other words typical and the norm.

That lie down still beckons.

Brian

No worries and thanks for the info. Things were a bit different for us as the Bde Cmdr (modern times is a Col and the COS a LTC. I understand you generally had majors commanding companies as well while we had Captains. You also have "colonels of consequence" which completely baffles me to be honest.
I will make the change in my man to Major then,while Harvey of course remains himself. there will also be a Lt here taking notes and a waiting dispatch rider. The Major is speaking up to a Captain leaning from the turret of his Cromwell,right before cracking on to the Odon bridge area.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 08:32 AM UTC
jerry,

Sounds brilliant and I'll certainly get back in my box - at least for a while!

Well, "Colonels of Consequence" is a new one on me - even after 45 years in the Machine. Perhaps somewhere along the line the term has been conflated with "Regimental Colonels" or "Colonels in Chief" - neither of which have anything whatsoever to do with commanding.

Ah, the joys, frustrations and idiosyncrasies of the British Army; God, I miss it so.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

jerry,

Sounds brilliant and I'll certainly get back in my box - at least for a while!

Well, "Colonels of Consequence" is a new one on me - even after 45 years in the Machine. Perhaps somewhere along the line the term has been conflated with "Regimental Colonels" or "Colonels in Chief" - neither of which have anything whatsoever to do with commanding.

Ah, the joys, frustrations and idiosyncrasies of the British Army; God, I miss it so.

Brian

Yes,it was my way of life for most of the prime years of my adulthood and I do miss some things. On a damp snowy night though it is great to have hot,running water and a dry warm bed to hit the hay in!!
J
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 03:13 PM UTC
I like the start of this one Jer, very interesting!

Regards
Dave
SF-07-18D
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 10:36 PM UTC
Nice start, J!!

But I have one question for you, do you even sleep? Man, I wish I could have your pace making dios!!

Keep on!

Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 - 11:47 PM UTC
"Colonels of Consequence" eh? In the British Army, then and now, full colonel (US "Bird Colonel") is always a staff rank, not executive. Usually they are at Div HQ and up. Plenty of companies in Normandy ended up being commanded by captains (usually Coy 2ic).
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 - 02:48 AM UTC
Dave-thanks buddy for getting on board the "new one".
Nacho-oh yes,I sleep now more than I ever have and I view it as mostly a waste of time ! Being retired has its' ups and downs.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 - 05:31 AM UTC
Began the mods on the map guy. My first guy has been changed to be a Staff Major as per intel given by my British Colleagues (thanks guys)
So the "mapboard guy" will now be Brigadier Roscoe Harvey 29th Armoured Brigade commanding.

A Normandy pic of said General.

stock fig with parts removed to facilitate mods.

Mods begun by opening up top of tunic and beginning the unbloused pants,grinding off unwanted webbing and pistol lanyard,adding new pistol belt with pistol and battledress closure buckle.etc.

All PE glasses I had were horrendously oversized Elton John looking types so I made some with copper wire wrapped around brass rod. I also made the 4 shoulder board pips from .005 sheet plastic as well as his collar tabs. Also his cap badge.

More putty is being added to fill dings and finish the pants.

I got ahead of meself a bit to see how the glasses turned out as I had to paint the face before I added them. The cravat was too tempting to put off and then the rest of the battledress soon followed,all before I even have the putty done on his trousers.
Oh well,fun is the main point right?
British lads may be amused to know I painted the cravat in his Catholic school colors,maroon and gold. I googled it. He also went to Sandhurst but that was 3 colors so.....

The jacket still needs the darks and the lights but I will wait till the missing limb is added for that.

Thanks for looking commenting and yes...lurking.
J

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 06:33 PM UTC
Oh my – specs already!! Amazing detail, bi-focals I presume? “Colonels of Consequence” reminds me how my Dad used to laugh about being made a “Temporary Gentleman” (Pilot Officer) in the RAF
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh my – specs already!! Amazing detail, bi-focals I presume? “Colonels of Consequence” reminds me how my Dad used to laugh about being made a “Temporary Gentleman” (Pilot Officer) in the RAF

Thanks buddy for noticing the bifocals! LoL
They tried to make me a gentleman but it didn't take!
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 05:59 AM UTC
Jerry,

Just in case you're like me and on occasion miss PMs I've sent you a couple with the results of my findings at Bovington earlier today.

(not to be mysterious to anyone else who's reading this but this is an attempt to establish when 2 NORTHANTS Yeomanry applied rubber strips to their tanks in order to defeat the German Hohhaftladung magnetic anti tank grenade).

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jerry,

Just in case you're like me and on occasion miss PMs I've sent you a couple with the results of my findings at Bovington earlier today.

(not to be mysterious to anyone else who's reading this but this is an attempt to establish when 2 NORTHANTS Yeomanry applied rubber strips to their tanks in order to defeat the German Hohhaftladung magnetic anti tank grenade).

Brian

Thanks Brian,
Dispatches read and responded to by electronic courier! SUH !(palm of hand showing at forehead).
J
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jerry,

Brian

Thanks Brian,
Dispatches read and responded to by electronic courier! SUH !(palm of hand showing at forehead).
J

Absolutely! The only real way to salute(!)

Information inbound as we speak - or rather - write.

Brian
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 02:39 AM UTC
I have begun the tank. My first tank model in over 10 years! The small conversion has been done on the engine deck showing a type D as opposed to the kit type C version. The D would have been more likely in Normandy in June44.

I also replaced all the plastic nubs that were supposed to be lifting handles on the engine hatches with 2 sizes of wire.

Not a big update but fun for me. This kit is a breeze to build and is super well engineered.
J
Sean50
Visit this Community
Manche, France
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 08:21 AM UTC
Looking promising, Jerry.

Coincidentally, a few friends and myself walked from le Mesnil Patry to Hill 112 the other day, through the Odon valley. It's an interesting* mix of terrain types... wide open spaces with sparse hedgerows, then quite dense around the river.
* I'm not sure "interesting" was the word used by those in whose footsteps we followed...
I like what you've done so far. Be interesting to see what Brian turned up re the rubber strips...

Cheers

Sean
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking promising, Jerry.

Coincidentally, a few friends and myself walked from le Mesnil Patry to Hill 112 the other day, through the Odon valley. It's an interesting* mix of terrain types... wide open spaces with sparse hedgerows, then quite dense around the river.
* I'm not sure "interesting" was the word used by those in whose footsteps we followed...
I like what you've done so far. Be interesting to see what Brian turned up re the rubber strips...

Cheers

Sean

Few folks realize how open the terrain was at the jump off point. The troops had a heck of a time there though because the fog and then the smoke and dust from the creeping barrage obscured the whole field. Then they got in the close terrain and small farm complexes and the Germans had a field day with close-in anti-tank weapons. I am always amused when I read about the German "snipers". The fact was,the few gunshots that the tommies thought were snipers were actually just from regular german grunts that were so few at that point that it was all they had! After the "crust" was broken through,the Scots could have jogged to hill 112 or rode the tanks if they hadn't got bottled up in the craters and destruction of Cheux with the few surviving Pioneers fighting back and creating a bottleneck there.
Thoroughly interesting place and battle.
Thanks for checking in Sean!
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2019 - 02:29 AM UTC
Here I have begun some minor adding of detail on the hatches,etc. and have included the gunner in the process of buttoning up for the move.

The commander figure out of the box.

And the rough cut of his final pose. Just basic work done so far.

Thanks for having a peek,
J
 _GOTOTOP