_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Natty Little Land Rovers
Chillidragon
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 - 11:28 AM UTC
I am already working on a Series IIA Ambo, and want to assemble at least one LWB GS example. I am having no luck whatsoever finding dimensions for the rear seats, or even if Army Land Rover SIIAs had them at all. None of the books I have show them, and a query on a web site dedicated to preserved vehicles brought back no answers; I even downloaded the instruction sheets for both the Revell and Italeri 1/35 SIII, but these have no seats either.

Anyone in the know?
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 - 08:56 PM UTC
John,

From my memory, serving at a Divisional HQ in the mid 70s, we were often short changed when it came to drawing up our vehicles from the supporting Divisional Signals regiment; we often received the older vehicles, and even though there was a requirement to transport at least a couple of soldiers in the back we could never persuade the MT Officer to part with any seats. The seat backs were there but they were a permanent fixture anyway, but the cushions (normally secured by a couple of ties) no way.

So, despite the long transit over to the European continent to join in the BAOR cycle of exercise, we sat on our sleeping bags or cam nets.

This is not to say that a more integrated unit such as an Infantry Battalion did not have its vehicles fully scaled with everything. I think there were around 4x seats for the rear compartment but I have no idea I'm afraid as to actual dimensions. Colour was a medium grey, slightly shiny as they were plastic covered.

From a modelling point of view, I never came across a central seat in the front in a British Army Landrover either. That space became the repository for the vehicle work ticket, confectionary, drinks, radio, less than decent magazines etc; whatever soldiers like to accompany them on exercises, a proportion of such would be stashed there.

When I subsequently reported to a NATO unit (HQ Northern Army Group) oh joy of joys! Seats everywhere and a comfortable journey guaranteed.

Brian
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 - 09:42 PM UTC
Here's an ex-Army 1968 Series IIA 109 (two seats have been removed...) :

You can compare the bench seats to those fitted to a Serie III (as far as I can tell, they're the same...) :

If you don't want to scratchbuild them, you can even order some resin ones

https://www.minor-web.com/BSM.html

H.P.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2019 - 09:44 PM UTC
Luxury!
Chillidragon
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 03:59 AM UTC
Thanks, Brian! I knew I could rely on you to provide some valuable, fascinating insight from one who was there. I presume the "pans" under the seat cushions were also fixed?

Henri-Pierre: Merci beaucoup.
The Series III seats were the same, but there was a change around Summer 1969 to black vinyl upholstery as well as a new configuration for the headlights - in the wings, only the grille area differentiating the SIIB from the SIII.
Bonus - I also now know how the tilt frame attached!

The resin seats look good; but I am working in 1/76. Still good to help extrapolate the size though.

My references are all description, so I really needed those pictures to clarify. And Brian's recollections! Now I must model that as well... Gonk bags and/or camo nets, hmm...
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2019 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Brian! I knew I could rely on you to provide some valuable, fascinating insight from one who was there. I presume the "pans" under the seat cushions were also fixed?

Henri-Pierre: Merci beaucoup.
The Series III seats were the same, but there was a change around Summer 1969 to black vinyl upholstery as well as a new configuration for the headlights - in the wings, only the grille area differentiating the SIIB from the SIII.
Bonus - I also now know how the tilt frame attached!

The resin seats look good; but I am working in 1/76. Still good to help extrapolate the size though.

My references are all description, so I really needed those pictures to clarify. And Brian's recollections! Now I must model that as well... Gonk bags and/or camo nets, hmm...

John,

I'm sure though there are other recollections out there which might not be quite as damning as mine. What I will say is that throughout most of my Service life vehicles deploying on exercise nearly always carried cam nets and poles on top of their vehicles; these were bundled on top of the canvas and lashed down by whatever means we could find - there was no issue kit to facilitate that whereas I'm sure the Bundeswehr and the US would probably provide their soldiers with something that was actually useful and pragmatic.

It wasn't just a net - we had to carry Hessian (later replaced with a strangely glossy grey plastic-type raffia weave material (which was it must be said much lighter)) together with the poles which all too often were hacked down Pine tree branches/saplings growing in plantations in the vicinity of Div - and later - Bde HQ in the Salisbury Plain area.

The drawback of such assemblies was that once wet, the resultant sodden bundle weighted a ton and was extremely difficult to re-locate (after say, a move) to the top of the vehicle - in my case usually a Landrover, not least as this normally required to be undertaken at the dead of night, amidst rain, and we would inevitably be wearing NBC suits, with only a modified tiny red-filtered torch to assist.

Thank God we were young(!)

I don't recall encountering any purpose-designed cam poles or spreaders until around the 90s, but there again, I was primarily employed in Formation HQs - the Combat Arms may well have been better served - and rightfully so.

Brian
Chillidragon
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 12:39 PM UTC
Time for a status report.
The base kits I'm using - the old JB Models Rover 11 aka Series IIA in post Summer 1969 form (therefore just out of my time period), called by some SIIB - is a bit challenging.
Before I make up some masters for seats, I have made moulds for new doors, tailgate/rear panel, and chassis rear cross member. Next step will be checking the height of the rear boxes over the mudguards to see if I need to cut them down. This is turning out to be more work than I imagined, but I'll plod on. I ordered a Matador Models SIII Lightweight to backdate at some point, mainly to have a look at/measure of the seats (lazy me) but they are moulded on and don't look right.

With it I ordered a very pretty little Austin K9 Radio Van (wanted one of these for ages - it was a favourite in my long gone Matchbox collection) and found it came with an interior. Problem is, it has battery boxes, a thin cupboard on the rear wall, a pair of canvas seats and about half as much radio gear as my one and only photo of a SWB Land Rover FFR on a transverse shelf right at the back. I wonder if it's been, in a favourite term of a certain gentleman formerly of this parish, 'imagineered'. I remember there being little room inside the one real specimen I saw (radio gear stripped out), so I think I'll model it with blinds down. It still looks well worth having though, and I might start it for a rest.

I'll try for photographs when I actually achieve something.
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 06:25 PM UTC
The seat frames obviously are made of metal and as stated the cushions were are located with strip canvas ties . The frames themselves are hinged so that the base can be lifted up against the upper section of the cushion .again as stated we rarely had them and all manner of kit was placed in the back. The only other type of rear seat was fitted in ffr Landrover’s often called the radio operators seat it’s a single type seat with a fixed base and back the fittings were designed to fit in the slots of the back on the Land Rover .
Chillidragon
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only other type of rear seat was fitted in ffr Landrover’s often called the radio operators seat it’s a single type seat with a fixed base and back the fittings were designed to fit in the slots of the back on the Land Rover .

Logged for future reference; thank you. Now I know that the RO's seat didn't fold. Every little helps!
barny
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 05:12 AM UTC
No worries mate ..bit of a Land Rover nut and ex military..and have loads of books and ref pictures.
Chillidragon
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 08:07 AM UTC
As I wrote in response to BootsDMS, I enjoy hearing from primary sources.
I probably have the best available reference books on the subject, as well as one or two which aren't - but not one with a scale drawing or dimensions for those seats, the bane of my modelling life! I have enough good shots now, fortunately, to measure and extrapolate. Then I'll make up a mould and churn some out; I think I'll opt for the bare frame for the seat, and add cushions if need be - I would like to do one equipped as issued, though it is a pity no-one seems to have travelled in comfort in the back of the things!
 _GOTOTOP