_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Real Model Dump gun truck.
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 10:35 AM UTC
I know im doing this the wrong way round but ive ordered Real Model's Dump OIF M929A2 Gun truck.

Has anyone built this resin conversion kit? If you have, please give me your views on build issues, quality etc.

Ive used RM wheels on other models, but this conversion is far more adventurous and scary for this relatively inexperienced modeller!

Thanks in anticipation.

Den
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 02:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know im doing this the wrong way round but ive ordered Real Model's Dump OIF M929A2 Gun truck.

Has anyone built this resin conversion kit? If you have, please give me your views on build issues, quality etc.

Ive used RM wheels on other models, but this conversion is far more adventurous and scary for this relatively inexperienced modeller!

Thanks in anticipation.

Den

Hope you’ll post some pictures once you get started. Curious about their kits too since I am on the hunt for their OOP M927 xlwb 5ton truck.
Darkin
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Malopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi Denis here, someone built the model using this conversion, try to contact the author may have more photos from the work

http://bulldogs.kitmaker.net/forums/149366

Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Denis here, someone built the model using this conversion, try to contact the author may have more photos from the work

http://bulldogs.kitmaker.net/forums/149366

Thanks Darkin, i checked the pics out and pm'd the builder asking for any info.

grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 09:17 AM UTC
Unless Real Model has greatly improved his products, I'd steer well clear of anything of his....years ago, I'd ordered his M800 series 5 ton truck conversion as well as the M800 series wheel/tire set...about a month to arrive, so I had time to work on the Italeri 5 ton truck that was the donor kit.
Well, the RM products arrived, and were UNUSABLE. Poorly cast copies of AFV Club M35 parts for the cab, and the rest of the fuel tanks, air tanks, all the details, and the wheel set were BLOBS of resin...looked like someone had taken all the details, superglued leftover casting blocks to then, then RECAST them in work out molds that had been filled with a handful of cat litter!
When I contacted him directly, via his website, I POLITELY, and I do mean politely, told him how bad the products were, and he proceeded to berate me, and claim I wasn't skilled enough to use his wonderful conversion sets! NO offer of replacement of refund, so I replied in kind, dishing out what I had been given...my opinion of him hasn't ever changed. I feel he's as bad as the now-defunct AEF Designs...the products were THAT bad. Having said that, I wish you success, and can only hope his current line is better than what I received. Buyer beware.
Rod
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 10:46 AM UTC
Thanks Rod. Yikes! What have I let myself in for? I've used RM's wheels on Italeri's 5 tonner before and they worked out, but this could be a "whole nother thing".

I was searching for Hobby Fan's wrecker conversion for the 5 tonner, no luck there.

While searching, I bought the OIF gun truck sort of "spur of the moment". Oh well.

Thanks again.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 11:41 AM UTC
Sorry to rain on your parade, Denis, but that was my experience. My one and ONLY experience with Real Model. I've heard similar stories from other modelers and model buddies over the years as well. I still have the parts that I received that were so incredibly bad....I actually keep them around to remember whenever RM has new kit news! LOL.
Best of luck with yours!
Rod
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 01:34 PM UTC
I second Rod Crismans statement on RM products... Except that I purchased 1 from an online store, and another thru eBay... Their website sure looks convincing enough and I was fooled into thinking it was top notch products... One was a short wheelbase Chevy cargo truck, and the other was the soft cab conversion for the Dragon Wagon, but Rod is right, their resin wheels had hideous blobs of resin stuck to it, blobs of misshapen, warped resin on the chassis rails... the soft cab for the DW was totally unusable... if RMs excuse was that Rods skills were not up to par, than frankly he could go EFF himself!!! I consider myself a very capable modeler, but I would rather scratch build both items than waste my time trying to save the examples I had the misfortune of wasting my $$ on... I could post pictures of these products if you need proof...
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 - 10:54 PM UTC
Real Model is Real Crap. Quite interesting subjects, but quality is nowhere to be seen in their products. Sadly not the only "respected" resin company in this situation.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Real Model is Real Crap. Quite interesting subjects, but quality is nowhere to be seen in their products. Sadly not the only "respected" resin company in this situation.

IMO, their products seem to be "a bit" over-priced for what you actually get in the package...
silkgx
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2019 - 08:07 PM UTC
I guess the folks around here must be lucky. A few have bought
his LAV III aftermarket kits and I have heard no complaints.
Personally have bought 4 sets of Tires 3 or 4 years ago and
other than casting gates all seems okay. Only thing I bought
that I passed onto some one else was Bar Armor for the Leopard
and only because it was way beyond my patience level.
Can not speak for any other of his work. That's if we are talking the same Czech Real Model company.
Bill
Denimo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 09:47 AM UTC
I'm on my 3rd set of Real Model wheels, one HEMTT, two M923 Bigfoot and have no complaints .

What worries me more is the Black Dog Dumvee and MTVR guntruck conversions sitting on the shelf.

Seems its all a bit of a crapshoot with some resin manufacturers!
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm on my 3rd set of Real Model wheels, one HEMTT, two M923 Bigfoot and have no complaints .

What worries me more is the Black Dog Dumvee and MTVR guntruck conversions sitting on the shelf.

Seems its all a bit of a crapshoot with some resin manufacturers!

The problem is that they do not cool the resin enough before demolding. That's why parts are warped.

skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 12:22 PM UTC
Too bad other resin kit makers don't make items like he does. M800 series trucks, Trailers etc.
 _GOTOTOP