_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A2 SEP V2
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 - 02:56 PM UTC
This is the DML kit. It depicts a 1-64 AR, 3rd ID tank at gunnery on Ft Stewart. I was disappointed by the kit - specifically the SEP V2 updates to the original A1 kit. The base A1 kit is excellent. But the SEP V2 stuff not so much. Poor locater joints. Poor detail, especially the CWS. The .50 cal is not really correct for this tank. The extended bustle rack is extremely fiddly. The spent shell baskets are really basic with no detail whatsoever. You need good reference to figure out where they go/mount. And the flexible ammo chute for the .50 cal is non-existent in the kit. I had to order one from Live Resin. That took a little work to make it fit this build (to be sure it did not break off from all the stress it is under from bending). The loader's 240 is not correct for the SEP V2 either.

I hear the Academy SEP V2 is pretty good and maybe better.

Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 01:24 AM UTC
Great work there Bob. Excellent composition on the base to represent the SEP in a hull down position at the Red Cloud MPRC. The only critique that I can offer is that BFT antenna cover, in my observations should be more of a sand color than CARC tan. It could just be the pictures that you posted here make it look like it is the same color as the rest of the turret. Regardless congratulations on your latest masterpiece. I am assuming that it will find a home at Ft Stewart??
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 01:36 AM UTC
Great build!

To me however it looks like the tank is tiptoeing. It stands too tall. The suspension arms should be rotated a bit more upwards, so that the tops of wheels are more hidden behind side skirts.

Take a look at this image:

or this:

Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 01:48 AM UTC
Excellent work and posing of the track. Looks like the driver has it in reverse, one foot on the gas, the other on the brake waiting for the TC to announce "target" so he can back up the tank immediately.

And I recall we would do track pad crawl up to unmask to allow the gunner to have the smoothest platform to maintain his sight picture.

Don't know how different it is on the M1A2 but that was "course-man-ship" on both M60A3 and M1.
agriamodeling
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 05:37 AM UTC
Wow, it looks beautiful, I specially like the weathering. Beside this, I am sad about your findings, I bought this kit on purpose after a couple weeks of comparing all option on the market and expected a brilliant model from Dragon.
Anyhow, it is still in the stash but sooner or later move to the bench. I gonna see than how much I can improve it.

Cheers,

Tamas
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, it looks beautiful, I specially like the weathering. Beside this, I am sad about your findings, I bought this kit on purpose after a couple weeks of comparing all option on the market and expected a brilliant model from Dragon.
Anyhow, it is still in the stash but sooner or later move to the bench. I gonna see than how much I can improve it.

Cheers,

Tamas

Yes, the base Dragon kit is excellent, but the V2-specific parts are more 'Black Label'. The easiest way to fix the problems is to buy DEF Model's M1A2 SEP V2 conversion set:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/defmodel-dm35030-m1a2-sep-v2-conversion-set--228105

But the Academy M1A2 is a much better SEP V2 - I think DEF had a hand in its development.

Excellent build, Robert!
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work there Bob. Excellent composition on the base to represent the SEP in a hull down position at the Red Cloud MPRC. The only critique that I can offer is that BFT antenna cover, in my observations should be more of a sand color than CARC tan. It could just be the pictures that you posted here make it look like it is the same color as the rest of the turret. Regardless congratulations on your latest masterpiece. I am assuming that it will find a home at Ft Stewart??

Good point on the color difference. I made a mental note to paint it a cream color and did not remember. This was made for the 1-64 AR LTC who was moving on, and his captains asked for it. I did this in record time. I worked on it everyday from Dec 1 to Jan 31. I guessed I could get it done in two months and I actually did it. I would have liked to take it to AMPS but it is now in Colorado. The biggest issue in working that fast was that any problems I came up with I tended to ignore and push on. The only thing I did over was the barrel name. That took three tries.

Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build!

To me however it looks like the tank is tiptoeing. It stands too tall. The suspension arms should be rotated a bit more upwards, so that the tops of wheels are more hidden behind side skirts.

Yes. Fair enough. Sadly, I noted that as I was building it and failed to make it happen. This aspect of the kit is a minor complaint for me - the locating tabs for the roadwheel arms are too thin. Even without glue they spin around in their housings. Once you put glue to it they melt and the problems get worse. But I should have done more testing to avoid it. I've built several of these kits (A1 version) and you would think this would not creep up.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work and posing of the track. Looks like the driver has it in reverse, one foot on the gas, the other on the brake waiting for the TC to announce "target" so he can back up the tank immediately.

And I recall we would do track pad crawl up to unmask to allow the gunner to have the smoothest platform to maintain his sight picture.

Don't know how different it is on the M1A2 but that was "course-man-ship" on both M60A3 and M1.

Thanks. Here is the photo that was my inspiration. I took this at one of the gunneries I visited and it was fortuitous that I had all kinds of pics of this tank "when the call came." It was a no-brainer showing it at gunnery. I wanted to show the tank on an uphill grade as I felt that added to the dynamics of the look.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 - 12:16 PM UTC
It looks great, Bob. I think you nailed the look of the pic above. Great job.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 01:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers,

Tamas

Thanks everybody. Overall I think it turned out nice. The LTC is happy with it.

Tamas, I would not be put off by my comments. I have become one of those modelers that expects kits to be near perfect I suppose. But to me some details did not live up to DML's original kit.

Something else I did not mention - the roadwheel hubs are incorrect too. I replaced them with the DEF ones that came in the SEP V2 upgrade kit. I did not use the CWS from DEF because I was in a hurry to finish this for the customer. I guess I will use it on a future build.

I REALLY HOPE SOMEONE DOES AN M1A1 SA kit sometime. That is what the USMC uses today. Some units in the US Army use it too. I've seen the Marine tanks up close and there are soooo many opportunities for weathering and minor damage, etc.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 03:41 AM UTC
Well, I started scratch building a USMC commanders cupola, so someone should be releasing a resin update set any day now!
bravo04tango
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 05:50 AM UTC
The parts for a usmc “SA” cupola are in the rye field M1A1 tusk. It’s a really good kit.
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The parts for a usmc “SA” cupola are in the rye field M1A1 tusk. It’s a really good kit.

Just confirming - the parts for the new USMC Stabilised Commander’s Weapon Station are included in the RFM kit?
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just confirming - the parts for the new USMC Stabilised Commander’s Weapon Station are included in the RFM kit?

I don’t think it is, I believe you’re thinking of the TUSK I commanders cupola.
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10368006
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 08:04 AM UTC
Nice Bob-looks like a NBC engagement.
Dan
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice Bob-looks like a NBC engagement.
Dan

I guess you could say that. Hatches closed. I did not have time to do figures. That would be another week at least.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This is what the SA TC station looks like.

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 12:08 PM UTC
Pretty sure no one makes the SCWS yet, plastic or resin. Would be nice to see from Live Resin, maybe Legend? Could throw it on an ABV too.

Jim
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 - 01:55 PM UTC
Very nice build!
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,

Tamas

Yes, the base Dragon kit is excellent, but the V2-specific parts are more 'Black Label'. The easiest way to fix the problems is to buy DEF Model's M1A2 SEP V2 conversion set:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/defmodel-dm35030-m1a2-sep-v2-conversion-set--228105

But the Academy M1A2 is a much better SEP V2 - I think DEF had a hand in its development.

Excellent build, Robert!

Ed,

How do you think the Academy kit compares to the Dragon and the Rye Field kits, in terms of the basic level of detail of the vehicle (not including the CROWS aspect)? I have built many of the Dragon 3535 M1A1 AIM kits, and have always been impressed with the detail, and am now in the process of doing the Rye Field RM-5007 (full interior) and thus far have found that one to be equivalent in detail to the Dragon kit. I have yet to build the Dragon M1A2 SEP V2 kit, though I have two of them. If you think the basic Academy kit equals these two, it may be worth getting it if the CROWS detail is better than the Dragon. Also, does the Academy kit have the updated clear hubs? Thanks.
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi Curt - I rate the Academy kit about equal with the Rye and Dragon kits. It's simpler - multi-part lower hull, less photo etch. But accuracy is spot-on, possibly slightly better than the other two, and surface detail and engineering are excellent. Weak points are the so-so .50 cals and the rubber band tracks in the original issue. But the V2 parts are the most complete and accurate of any of the kits and conversions. And yes, it comes with a choice of early and late roadwheel hubs.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Remember, there's no gas pedal on an Abrams!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Remember, there's no gas pedal on an Abrams!

And those throttles could be touchy.
 _GOTOTOP