_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A1 Mine Plow Question
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 01:29 PM UTC
Hi All,

Here's a detail question for all you Abrams experts. I've built an M1A1 before with a mine plow, but I want to model this one with the driver's hatch open. The prior build, the cable connecting the plow to the tank ran through the right-hand driver's periscope. If I want to have the tank I'm building shown with the driver's hatch open, what do I do with the cable once it's connected to the periscope. That is, where does the cable run on the inside of the tank? I presume that the hatch would still open just like the hatch does without the mine low cable, but I could be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I've not stated my question adequately, please let me know and I'll try to restate better. I do have one photo of the cable running into the periscope on the outside of the hatch, but that's all I've got in terms of pictures. Thanks in advance.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 01:52 PM UTC
This may not completely answer your question, but here is a discussion and a few pics

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/abrams-with-plow-question-t132075.html
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This may not completely answer your question, but here is a discussion and a few pics

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/abrams-with-plow-question-t132075.html

That's GREAT info, thank you! What I need to know is which of those ways was used on the April 2003 Thunder Run tanks. If it's the fitting, and not the cable through the hatch, that makes it easy. If not, I still need an answer. But again, thanks!!!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 02:30 AM UTC
On 3ID tanks in OIF 1, the fitting in the vision block was still the most common.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On 3ID tanks in OIF 1, the fitting in the vision block was still the most common.

Here's this setup on a USMC tank in April 2003 :

Full size

H.P.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 02:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Here's this setup on a USMC tank in April 2003 :

Full size

H.P.

Wow, thank you, sir! It looks like the lead tank is using the half periscope, but perhaps on the opposite side of the right-hand block, compared to the close-up photo of the cable attached to the vision block. But I'm guessing the method of cable routing on the tri-color tank is the correct routing for the tank I'm working on.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 07:55 AM UTC
You're welcome Curt

But now, looking closer at this picture, it seems to me that a whole vision block has been removed, just like in this other picture :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HrQXFj6kNtLcDIChrdz5RWsHJ30GF2w/view?usp=sharing

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP