_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Paint for US Armor
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 301 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 02:00 PM UTC
Didn't see this coming. New paint is being developed for US Army armored vehicles (M1's, Brads and Strykers). Ground Vehicle Coating System offers lower IR emmisions and is resistant to chemical agents. Looks similar to current paint but still a bit distinct. Whose gonna be first to offer the new paints to the modeling world?

https://defence-blog.com/army/u-s-army-discloses-details-of-advanced-coating-system-for-ground-combat-vehicles.html

drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 05:46 AM UTC
Is it just me or is the green a little brighter?
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 05:59 AM UTC
Recently saw this too, it does appear to have a different sheen to it. Looks like the road wheels and sprocket are all black, and the gun tube has a wavy pattern the whole length, got that new tank look
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like the road wheels and sprocket are all black, and the gun tube has a wavy pattern the whole length...

Very Chieftain-esque with the wheels, and British with the wavy barrel. In fact, in the last Brad photo the Green almost looks like the British Bronze.
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 12:32 PM UTC
We are looking at FOUR colours (black, brown and two greens), not the usual three.
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2019 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We are looking at FOUR colours (black, brown and two greens), not the usual three.

Didn't notice that before but you're right. Pretty cool to see something new, been staring at NATO-Flauge M1's for close to 40 years now. Will be interesting to see more pics of these vehicles once they are widely deployed and in varying light conditions. I wonder what they'll do for the ERA bricks? Kinda defeats the purpose of developing a new scheme, just to cover it up with mono-tone ERA.
MassimoTessitori
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 02:08 AM UTC
Wheels and sprockets seem in dark green, not black.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wheels and sprockets seem in dark green, not black.

You’re correct, I saved the pic and lightened it up, same olive color as the center green, not the lighter color. This is all very interesting, can’t wait to see the end result of all this.
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 03:55 AM UTC
I'm sure the colors are applied by air using templates. The very tight color separation will be a little challenging in model scale, especially 1:72.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 05:13 AM UTC
I wonder how much IR signature they think they will reduce from a hot metal box.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 05:37 AM UTC
Scroll down the comment section, pics of the turret, looks like the turret has been extended out a few inches to the front.

https://www.snafu-solomon.com/2019/03/marines-to-continue-upgrading-m1a1.html#disqus_thread
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 12:22 AM UTC
US Army is making it a priority to repaint all those tan European based combat vehicle. Not sure if this Brad has the new paints or not but it definitely has a different pattern than the old NATO-flauge scheme. I like.. (although I do have to wonder if most of this scheme will then be lost under tan or solid green ERA blocks).

Going to need someone to offer up those new paints as well!

https://defence-blog.com/army/u-s-army-prepares-its-combat-vehicles-for-a-possible-russian-attack-in-europe.html
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 12:27 AM UTC
The Bradley in the above article is painted in standard NATO 3-color camo.

trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 12:30 AM UTC
looks like tamiya nato green/black/brown to me
exgrunt
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 03:08 AM UTC
[quote]The Bradley in the above article is painted in standard NATO 3-color camo.

You might be correct. To me it looked like the green and brown were a different, light shade. Also, in the case of this Brad, doesn't it look like they are using a different pattern from the standard NATO-flauge paint scheme used from the cold-war forward?

EDIT - in looking at some older pics, I think I'm mistaken on the pattern. It does appear to be unchanged.

Still am curious if they are going to repaint all the tan ERA blocks in 3 color camo. If not, kinda pointless to spend the time painting the sides, etc since if they ever go to war, those areas will be covered up with tan or green bricks.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Color photos can be misleading, due to the following factors:

a. Interior-lighting
b. Film speed
c. Age of the film used
d. Camera settings
e. Time of day, and see "f", below
f. Weather conditions, i.e, sunny, cloudy, partly cloudy, partly
sunny, (don't jump down MY throat, that's what the US Weather
Service says), rainy, snowy, sand-stormy, thunder-stormy, etc.
g. The idiot holding the camera

Paint colors can be "factory-new", sun-bleached, lightly-to-heavily-weathered, etc. There are also paint-color "alternates"- Ask ANY auto paint shop; the same applies to "Military Spec. paints". Pigments and paint formulae VARY from manufacturer to manufacturer, and between the SAME manufacturers' different PAINT LOTS...

Lastly, ask ANY ophthalmologist- They will tell you that NO TWO HUMANS will perceive the very same color in the same way. In short, dear Friends, "color" is subjective, at best...

YOUR comments above ALONE, attest to that fact...

Choose your various, numerous and different paint colors, and be happy...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 04:32 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

The Bradley in the above article is painted in standard NATO 3-color camo.

You might be correct. To me it looked like the green and brown were a different, light shade. Also, in the case of this Brad, doesn't it look like they are using a different pattern from the standard NATO-flauge paint scheme used from the cold-war forward?

EDIT - in looking at some older pics, I think I'm mistaken on the pattern. It does appear to be unchanged.

Still am curious if they are going to repaint all the tan ERA blocks in 3 color camo. If not, kinda pointless to spend the time painting the sides, etc since if they ever go to war, those areas will be covered up with tan or green bricks.

You MAY want to ask your local congress representative about that- IMO, you'd be wasting your time if you did...
BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

a. Interior-lighting
b. Film speed
c. Age of the film used
d. Camera settings

Paint colors can be "factory-new", sun-bleached, lightly-to-heavily-weathered, etc. There are also paint-color "alternates"- Ask ANY auto paint shop; the same applies to "Military Spec. paints". Pigments and paint formulae VARY from manufacturer to manufacturer, and between the SAME manufacturers' different PAINT LOTS...

Lastly, ask ANY ophthalmologist- They will tell you that NO TWO HUMANS will perceive the very same color in the same way. In short, dear Friends, "color" is subjective, at best...

I agree completely. I've foolishly taken paint color advice from other modelers, only to determine they must be color blind. I'm sure that's not actually the case, it's more likely they do their modeling under florescent lights. I switched over all my lighting to LED 5K lighting and it changed my perspective on modeling.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder how much IR signature they think they will reduce from a hot metal box.

That's the first thing I thought of too. In the Army, They told us our BDUs would be IR resistant too. Until you washed them twice.

The Advent of thermal imaging makes it a bit obsolescent?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

a. Interior-lighting
b. Film speed
c. Age of the film used
d. Camera settings

I agree completely. I've foolishly taken paint color advice from other modelers, only to determine they must be color blind. I'm sure that's not actually the case, it's more likely they do their modeling under florescent lights. I switched over all my lighting to LED 5K lighting and it changed my perspective on modeling.

Thanks, Ken!

BTW- I don't use fluorescent lights ANYWHERE in my home...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

a. Interior-lighting
b. Film speed
c. Age of the film used
d. Camera settings

You know, IMO, the new AK-INTERACTIVE "REAL COLORS" are WAAAAY too light when compared to the REAL THING, which I've done. Could it be that someone at AK was color blind..?

Or is it just me..?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 03:35 AM UTC
Induced scale effect?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Induced scale effect?

That's probably what AK had in mind, but I don't subscribe to that line. IMO, "induced scale effect" is a lot of hogwash...
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 04:30 AM UTC
This new Ground Vehicle Coating System can be applied to tires as well (no more wheel painting masks ) :

https://www.armymantech.com/pdfs/GMPGVCSPPI.pdf

H.P.
BunkerBuster
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 122 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Induced scale effect?

That's probably what AK had in mind, but I don't subscribe to that line. IMO, "induced scale effect" is a lot of hogwash...

Is there a specific color you have observed as being off? I've compared some of their colors to the MM enamel equivalent and they are very close matches.
 _GOTOTOP