_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tiger/T34/Sherman for Classroom
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 04:57 AM UTC
Starting the Unit on WWII added a little decor...

If you ever have EXTRA finished Models and your shelves are getting to full, consider donating hem toa local School... Kids get a kick out of them, bring History to life and even encourages next generation Modellers.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 12:55 PM UTC
John,

I think that's a great idea! Have you done this yourself, that is, donating to a local school? If so, how did you approach the school? Especially if you don't have kids attending where you'd like to do the donation...
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 01:19 PM UTC
Brings to mind the story of the kid who's brother was in the military, stationed in Iraq / Afghanistan. For Veterans Day he brought in cup cakes with plastic toy soldiers on them in for his classmates, to honor his brother. He was EXPELLED!!!! For violating the schools "no gun" policy.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 10:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

He was EXPELLED!!!! For violating the schools "no gun" policy.

Time to organise a humanitarian aid convoy for the USA, to bring them 100 tons of COMMON SENSE.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Time to organise a humanitarian aid convoy for the USA, to bring them 100 tons of COMMON SENSE.

AGREE, VEHEMENTLY!!!

The ENTIRE "educational system" and society at large in the US has taken this "Political Correctness" nonsense WAY TOO FAR. This condition is now bordering on fanaticism...

PS- "100 tons of common sense" is NOT ENOUGH...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brings to mind the story of the kid who's brother was in the military, stationed in Iraq / Afghanistan. For Veterans Day he brought in cup cakes with plastic toy soldiers on them in for his classmates, to honor his brother. He was EXPELLED!!!! For violating the schools "no gun" policy.

You're RIGHT! I HATE THIS NONSENSE!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 12:10 AM UTC
Fortunately where I taught they had common sense. I did a unit on 18-19 th century battle tactics because I got sick of everyone asking "why'd they stand in line like that?"

Then we did a bulletin board "America:a nation built by war" with a timeline of the US wars and illustrations of uniforms and dedicated to veterans. The principal thought it was very thought provoking.

There's another course suggestion about doing a unit on American love affair with firearms throughout its history. The administration then let's representations of guns into to classroom often with local reenactors for hands on demonstrations.

Using catapults and trebuchets to demonstrate physics and mathematics--

Though I was asked to tone down my unit on Medieval warfare. Contemporary accounts were too graphic.
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 12:33 AM UTC
When I was in high school back in the 70's, I had a couple of friend that were into Civil War re-enactment groups. I remember them bringing their muskets and bayonets to school, wearing uniforms from BOTH sides and doing fire demonstrations. Nobody freaked out, was insulted or angry. Times have sure changed.

Jesse
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 01:22 AM UTC
Sounds like a good idea to most of us here,teaching history and all but you know someone is going to be outraged and offended
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 02:27 AM UTC
It's all in the presentation. If properly integrated into lesson plans to meet the objectives of the curriculum it's hard for them to say "no"

When I was in school in the 1970s there was a 1903 Springfield in there so we could learn about mechanics and seeing how something was put together and how it worked. Kinesthetic or hands on learning. A 1903 Springfield is HUGE for a 4th grader but it was a valuable lesson in how wood is worked and how metal parts are machined. And then there's the chemistry of gun powder and the math involved with trajectories.

It's all how it's presented. There's a great lesson plan on pre modern fire arms and tactics using balls of paper to have mock battles. It appeals to kids and they learn stuff. You can even go into piece work versus factories and the development of machine tools and interchangeable parts.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 02:43 AM UTC
Personally, I think the story about the toy soldiers on the cupcakes is a myth, but I suppose there are administrations who might find that offensive. I have an Education degree, but never used it much (I did some substituting after I retired). But my wife taught Elementary education for 42 years, everyplace we were assigned, and she had no problems displaying military themes in her classrooms. I even built 30 aircraft from the Wright Flyer to the Space shuttle to hang from her classroom ceiling, many of which were armed military aircraft. She had a Stryker model on her desk, since we were at Fort Lewis WA at the time. I suppose some might find depictions of war as distasteful, but for the most part, my Wife and I found her associates, Parents, and the kids she taught were fascinated with the models in her classroom, which could be used to teach all kinds of principles, from basic mechanics and physics to sociology and history. Good on anyone that uses their hobby to educate those around them. And I second the comment on donating models to classrooms.
VR, Russ
Scarred
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 02:56 AM UTC
From 8th grade to 12th I carried a Buck 110 on my belt. Through all 3 high schools I went to and nobody said a thing. Most days after school I'd be on job site roofing or setting concrete forms so a knife was a tool. I did sharpen it in the metal shops, they always had the tools and oil stones to put that razor edge on chisels, cutters and knives.
clovis899
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 04:56 AM UTC
A bit overstated, the kid was NOT expelled. The did take the little green guys off the cupcakes before serving them in the classroom. Still more than a bit over the top but no one was expelled.

https://dailycaller.com/2013/03/08/school-confiscates-third-graders-cupcakes-topped-with-toy-soldiers/

The more you know....
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 05:16 AM UTC
Great idea, John, and an excellent choice of the three probably most well-known tanks of WWII. Are all 3 in 1/35 scale?
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 05:46 AM UTC
April 20, 1982 while in high school, I celebrated the 40th birthday of the Tiger tank in my German class singing "happy birthday " to a model Tiger in German.

Halloween 1978, freshman year of high school, one student wore his father's World War 2 uniform. Herringbone twill with combat belt and canteen with the GI shoes and canvas leggings-- and an operating M1 rifle. All the administration asked was that he had no ammunition.

Senior year some friends tied some railroad flares together with a fuse and said they were going to blow up the school. The vice principal told them it wasn't convincing and to put it away. Chagrined they did and that was that.

Administrators didn't overreact and go crazy like they often do now. A different time but it worked. Some kid wants to scare everyone, you go "so what? Not appropriate. Don't do it again. " And the child learns not to do that again.

Attention getting behavior totally disarmed calmy and NOT calling any attention to it, usually effectively discourages future such behavior.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

April 20, 1982 while in high school, I celebrated the 40th birthday of the Tiger tank in my German class singing "happy birthday " to a model Tiger in German.

Halloween 1978, freshman year of high school, one student wore his father's World War 2 uniform. Herringbone twill with combat belt and canteen with the GI shoes and canvas leggings-- and an operating M1 rifle. All the administration asked was that he had no ammunition.

Senior year some friends tied some railroad flares together with a fuse and said they were going to blow up the school. The vice principal told them it wasn't convincing and to put it away. Chagrined they did and that was that.

Administrators didn't overreact and go crazy like they often do now. A different time but it worked. Some kid wants to scare everyone, you go "so what? Not appropriate. Don't do it again. " And the child learns not to do that again.

Attention getting behavior totally disarmed calmy and NOT calling any attention to it, usually effectively discourages future such behavior.

It's a little bit different in the schools here in New York State- That whole crew up in Albany, you know. Can't get "political" here, so I'm not going to raise any hackles. What I said in my initial posts above is enough on that subject, I'm afraid...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 06:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Stephen,

I am originally from Newark NJ,lived in northern NJ my whole life up till last year,things were sure diffrent in the 70's and 80's where did you go to school ?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 07:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A bit overstated, the kid was NOT expelled. The did take the little green guys off the cupcakes before serving them in the classroom. Still more than a bit over the top but no one was expelled.

https://dailycaller.com/2013/03/08/school-confiscates-third-graders-cupcakes-topped-with-toy-soldiers/

The more you know....

I didn’t think it was the whole truth— And doesn’t it make sense to take plastic soldiers off the cupcakes before eating them? In my wife’s last school, there was a rule about treats in class, they couldn’t have inedible items on them because they could become a choking hazard. Before folks think this is also ridiculous, remember we’re dealing with all kinds of kids in schools today— and some might inadvertently eat this kind of thing— imagine the lawsuit there. It’s really not the kids that are the problem today— it’s the parents.
VR, Russ
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Amen to that!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Stephen,

I am originally from Newark NJ,lived in northern NJ my whole life up till last year,things were sure diffrent in the 70's and 80's where did you go to school ?

Brick NJ on the Jersey shore. I've lived in Central NJ my whole life mostly Monmouth and Ocean counties except for my 20s with college and then some crazy housemates.

I had some real no nonsense Vice Principals in high school. I tried skipping class, the vice principal just looked at me and said, "you're in the honor society and drama club, you're smarter than this Stephen. Just go to class."

I'd never spoken to him before. He knew my name and extracurricular activities off the top of his head and there were over 500 students in the school.
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 08:32 AM UTC
SAdly Russ, that type of things is all too common in California. I have no information on the Cupcake incident but have had similar concerns and expulsions at my own school and when my daughters were in school. We have become a PC world, mainly because we allow it to happen.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 08:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Stephen,

Brick NJ on the Jersey shore. I've lived in Central NJ my whole life mostly Monmouth and Ocean counties except for my 20s with college and then some crazy housemates.

I had some real no nonsense Vice Principals in high school. I tried skipping class, the vice principal just looked at me and said, "you're in the honor society and drama club, you're smarter than this Stephen. Just go to class."

I'd never spoken to him before. He knew my name and extracurricular activities off the top of his head and there were over 500 students in the school.

Wow! Before I moved to Upstate New York, (the Southern Tier) with my Mom, Dad and Oma, ("Oma" is "Grandma", in our Southern German dialect- My Sister moved out of the house in '67, when she got married), we lived in the border-section of Brooklyn/Queens, in a neighborhood known as Ridgewood. I graduated from Automotive High School which was situated in the Greenpoint section of Brooklyn. We had a graduating class of about 450-500 boys. We built Hot Rods in our spare time. REAL 1:1 scale ones... We were not a coed school during that Vietnam war era... How times have changed...

We've sorta gone "Off Topic" but hell, it's fun to compare notes, once in a while...
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that's a great idea! Have you done this yourself, that is, donating to a local school? If so, how did you approach the school? Especially if you don't have kids attending where you'd like to do the donation...

Curt, Calling the front office might work, but I have found most schools have directories with Teacher Phone and Emails. Simply email to History or Social Science Teachers would be the best way to get started. If possible send them a Picture. Helps to know what it is so they can figure how to use it in class.

John
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SAdly Russ, that type of things is all too common in California. I have no information on the Cupcake incident but have had similar concerns and expulsions at my own school and when my daughters were in school. We have become a PC world, mainly because we allow it to happen.

The "PC World" CAN be voted out, you know...

OK, forget I said anything... This isn't really the time or the place... See you on "Election Night!"
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like a good idea to most of us here, teaching history and all but you know someone is going to be outraged and offended

Neill's Class Rule #1

"Life Suckand then you die, but itis what you do after life sucks and before you die that is your legacy"
 _GOTOTOP