_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"Smokestack" On Certain Toyota Land Cruisers
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 10:26 AM UTC
I noticed that one of Meng's Toyota Land Cruiser technicals has a smokestack in the picture and the other one doesn't. What purpose does the smokestack serve, anyway?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 10:31 AM UTC
Usually used in conjunction with a snorkel on the air intake to prevent water from getting into the system.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 10:41 AM UTC
If your referring to the one in the picture below, that is a snorkel which serves a couple of purposes.

First it allows a deeper fording depth by taking the air intake up high, although there are other considerations to be taken as well as the snorkel.
Second in dry, hot, sandy conditions it acts as a pre-filter before the main air filter on the engine and also takes in slightly cooler and less dusty air when in a convoy by being in the raised air flow.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 11:56 AM UTC
Thanks. It did seem like a factory addition (or aftermarket) than a field improvised one. Unless Toyota deliberately made certain Land Cruisers for military or other rough purposes.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 05:42 AM UTC
Just take a look here for some related pics :

http://www.brian894x4.com/MILITARYTOYOTAS.html

The snorkel included in Meng's kit is a Toyota OEM part :

H.P.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 05:59 AM UTC
Actually those are more to keep dust out rather than water fording because the air box will still have the drain holes in the bottom of it.

Same thing found on the Chevy ZR2 Bison, which it's stated purpose is to minimize dust intake.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 10:39 AM UTC
During the install you pull the airbox and plug the holes with sealant. And unless the electronics were completely sealed I wouldn't put any rig in the water past it's hubs.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 11:18 AM UTC
Who would get this option anyway? I never saw it on any Toyota or other brand trucks on the street.

I also wondered which model year the Meng kit represents.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 11:24 AM UTC
I have a very cool video of me chasing a bad guy in Afghanistan in 2003 in a Toyota Tacoma. Where there had been a dry river bed the week prior had become a raging river. I drove into it, lost traction, and the engine stalled. There was no snorkel kit on it. We drifted to the opposite bank and the damned thing started right back up and we drove out. I can be heard on the video praising the Tacoma, and swore I'd get one when I got home. I never did.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a very cool video of me chasing a bad guy in Afghanistan in 2003 in a Toyota Tacoma. Where there had been a dry river bed the week prior had become a raging river. I drove into it, lost traction, and the engine stalled. There was no snorkel kit on it. We drifted to the opposite bank and the damned thing started right back up and we drove out. I can be heard on the video praising the Tacoma, and swore I'd get one when I got home. I never did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WrtBGAfclE
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 11:59 AM UTC
Would the MENG Land Rover pickup as show in the photo on this thread be better suited for U.S. or NATO Special Operations Forces than the MENG Toyota HiLux pickup, or is the MENG Land Rover pickup just used by Rebel, militia, and Insurgent forces?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Who would get this option anyway? I never saw it on any Toyota or other brand trucks on the street.

That's because most 4x4's on U.S. streets are pavement queens and never leave the asphalt. The worst dirt or mud they'll see is a mud puddle on a dirt driveway. I've had my blown, overpowered, lowered two wheel drive truck off road, most times unintentionally, more than most of the 4x4's in the U.S.

Plus it's an aftermarket addon that most install themselves. I guess they use them a lot in Aussie Land.

I've had my humvee in water deep enough to almost go into the intake. Chest deep water while I was driving across the Nisqually or certain tank trails on 91st Division Prairie during the rainy season.
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would the MENG Land Rover pickup as show in the photo on this thread be better suited for U.S. or NATO Special Operations Forces than the MENG Toyota HiLux pickup, or is the MENG Land Rover pickup just used by Rebel, militia, and Insurgent forces?

Mate just do a google search for US SF IN Syria and plenty of Toyota pick ups being used by US SF ie:
https://www.rt.com/news/421582-lavrov-foreign-special-forces-syria/
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 01:05 PM UTC
And another awesome rig with operators on board....
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/01/09/raqqa1_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqIGBrXjEx6ttpR7vQUDUeiXMtlN_I9idwvmMM5xebJM8.jpg?imwidth=1400
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2019 - 06:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess it could be a 2007 LandCruiser 70 Pick-up. The one below is fitted with a custom-made front bumper :

H.P.
JavierDeLuelmo
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2019 - 02:03 AM UTC
US SF in Syria have been riding on Toyota Hilux and LandCruiser 70 series from more or less recent production (2011 and 2007 variants) and unavailabe as such in model kit form. The LandCruiser 70 series from 2007 would seem similar to the "older" Meng offering, but except for the lower door pressings and cargo bed, all the rest of the vehicle is different. It has now wider and longer chasis, independent front suspension, a fully new front end and slightly longer single cab with fixed non-removable top. Some if not all of the ones in SF service are beefed-up models with heavy duty suspension kit (axles probably too). An accurate 2007 model could be made from the Takom kit, but would call for an awful lot of work, while a plastic model company was looking onto it but AFAIK plans went shelved for the time being.
LonCray1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2019 - 04:43 AM UTC
After seeing the Top Gear episodes where they abuse a Toyota pickup beyond all possible recognition (including setting it on top of a building then blowing up the building) and then making minor repairs before driving it off, I'm prepared to believe those little trucks are built of solid unobtanium. I'd love to see Meng put out more so we could build a modern SF truck.
As to getting cooler air into the engine, that's because cold air is denser. If you can get more of it into the system, you can add more fuel, which together equal more giddyup.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2019 - 05:42 AM UTC
Javier's right. The picture I've posted shows an earlier model, maybe a 2005 or a 2006 one. The pictured truck was for sale and I just (naively) believed the caption ). According to Wikipedia, "The facelifted 70 Series began production in January for market release in late February / early March 2007."

H.P.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2019 - 10:00 AM UTC
If anyone is interested in a modern one, at least you can do it right now. You'll notice this gun mount from one of the links provided.

Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2019 - 05:11 AM UTC
I always wondered what happened to the MENG 1/35 pickup series. MENG seemed to have stopped it after a while for unknown reasons after the Ford F350 pickup.
brunocollin
Visit this Community
Gironde, France
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 12:23 AM UTC
Aren't the Meng kits the chinese copy (or licence built) of Toyota BJ70 ?
Hence the différences with the original ones, like the front rigid axle ?
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 03, 2019 - 01:56 AM UTC
The ISIS friends in Mali uses lot of Toyota pick-up and most have the "smokestacks" installation due to sandy roads...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mali+aqmi+pick+up&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjz7e7q5rTkAhVlxYUKHQ25ADcQ_AUIEigC&biw=1536&bih=755
 _GOTOTOP