_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Challenger 1 front storage bin
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi all,

i'm looking to get hold of some images and information regarding the storage bin on the front part of the turret, what was stored in there and was it covered with anything?

i can't seem to find any decent photo's of it on the net, so all help is welcome.
philhendry
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 06:27 AM UTC
Not having looked on the web for photos, but I remember it having a 'canvas' cover, which fitted quite well, and was 'fitted' over the edges of the bin.
philhendry
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 06:38 AM UTC
except, of course, that the bin/basket always had too much stuff in, so the cover didn't fit!

And, of course, the British Army isn't like the IDF, where every vehicle is stowed identically... British squaddies tend to be 'creative' with stowage. So my guess is that you'd put stuff in it which seemed right to you. Bearing in mind that if the wether was wet and/or the ground was muddy, the stuff in that bin would get wet and muddy if you went through any pools of muddy water at anything faster than a crawl.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 07:21 AM UTC
From days gone by I remember mostly seeing cam nets stuffed in there. it's an awkward shaped basket and anything in there is going to get wet regardless so it was ideal for net stowage. As Phil said though the cover was always stretched over the top and only really served as something to hold it in, not keep water off.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 07:23 AM UTC
Here's the canvas cover in place :

Full size

Looks like there's a camo net stored in there :

Full size

Another view :

http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/gert_burkert-opitz/challenger_1/images/challenger_1_13_of_20.jpg

H.P.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 08:10 AM UTC
thanks for the info guys, my challenger will be set int he first gulf war, so i'm not sure if a camo net would be in there or some other items perhaps?

Frenchy, you always seem to find images that no one else can find, i spent 2 hours and couldn't come up with a decent picture at all.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 - 09:05 AM UTC
Just add a mortar round box in front of it to hide what's behind

Full size

Like Phil said, I guess it's up to the crew to decide what to store there. In the picture below, it looks like each tank has a different storage :

Full size

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP