_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Czech Cromwell
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 - 12:48 PM UTC
Looking for the Bison 35108 Cromwell decal set, specifically option A
Removed by original poster on 04/18/19 - 13:40:21 (GMT).
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 - 08:53 AM UTC
Weird. Only part of my query posted. Besides the decals I asked about hull types. Tamiya's kit is a "C", decal instructions say the markings are for an "F". Were hull types mixed in units? Also, would an earlier production tank have been SCC 2 still in mid to late 44? I read somewhere a number of Cromwells were still the older color at the time of Normandy. Thanks, All.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 - 09:36 AM UTC
Hi

The Cromwell was a relatively new tank (production from Feb 1944) and units were equipped with them in lots. Made by different manufacturers there were differences in production, however, it is highly unlikely there were mixed hull type lots issued to the same units so soon after production and so soon in the piece (Normandy). The type F hull was not introduced until after Normandy.

The Centaurs used in Normandy retained the SCC2 paint as the intention was that they would not leave the landing ships they were expected to fire from, but to the best of my knowledge, all the Cromwell's were repainted and would not be SCC2.

The HMSO Tank Museum publication (Her Majesties Stationary Office) on the Cromwell is a great reference if you can find it.

_GOTOTOP