_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: Typ 82E Staff Car
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 06:42 PM UTC

Scheduled for release this May, is Rye Field Model's take on the grand-daddy of the iconic VW Beetle.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Scheduled for release this May, is Rye Field Model's take on the grand-daddy of the iconic VW Beetle.

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Thank You, Tat!

Will there be a "Civilian" model as well?
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Thank You, Tat!

A civilian model would have to be a post-war one
since none were delivered to civilians during the war.
All those stamp-collector booklets lost a lot of their value since a full booklet didn't buy a car after the war.

https://www.germanstamps.net/tr_rev_spar_vw/
and
https://www.krause-papierwerke.com/blog/kdf-wagen-savings-booklet

Maybe there will be decals for non-military cars, such as Reichspost, Reichsbahn or some police-units. These are sort of in a gray zone between civilian and military.
/ Robin
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Thank You, Tat!

All those stamp-collector booklets lost a lot of their value since a full booklet didn't buy a car after the war.

and

Maybe there will be decals for non-military cars, such as Reichspost, Reichsbahn or some police-units. These are sort of in a gray zone between civilian and military.
/ Robin

Was the civilian version any different (externally) to what was produced for the military?
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 02:39 AM UTC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen

In 1948 the restrictions on civilian car purchases were lifted/reduced so that civilians could buy a car without first having to get a licence.
Note that the Type 82E had the same chassis as the famous Kübelwagen and was not the same as the civilian chassis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_K%C3%BCbelwagen
"Further development of the Type 62 took place during 1939, including a more angular body design, and pre-production models were field-tested in the invasion of Poland, that started in September that year. Despite their overall satisfaction with the vehicle's performance, military commanders demanded that a few important changes be made: the lowest speed of the vehicle had to be reduced from 8 km/h (5.0 mph) to 4 km/h (2.5 mph) as an adjustment to the pace of marching soldiers. Second, it needed some improvement of its off-road ability. Porsche responded to both requests by mounting new axles with gear-reduction hubs, providing the car with more torque and more ground-clearance all at once. Revised dampers, 41 cm (16 in) wheels, and a limited slip differential, as well as countless small modifications, completed the specification. In order to reflect the changes, the vehicle was renamed Type 82"
The Type 82E sits higher than a civilian (KdF or postwar 1946) model

The production in the first post war years used left over parts and the tools designed for the KdF-wagen (tools for forming sheet metal are a major investment ...). Some parts were unavailable, for instance: the carburettor manufacturer was in the Soviet zone, so some parts had to be redesigned and/or new suppliers found.

http://veh-markets.com/cars/volkswagen-c/216696-1946-volkswagen-type-11-beetle-extremely-early-production-post-war-example.html

Walkaround of a 1946 model (at least that is what the seller claims ..)

Rear end of one made in 1950:

Model 1947 in US Army markings
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291290

http://www.dastank.com/VW-Volkswagen-1932-1960
Lots of variants from prototypes to 1960
I think that the split rear window started to go away around 1953.

The biggest difference between a truly civilian car and the Type 82E is the chassis height, 70 mm difference or 2 mm in 1/35 but visible in how the wheels fit into the wheel arches.

I think that the civilian versions also had hubcaps:
1946 to 1949 (is this correct?)

1946 cabriolet prototype, flat hubcaps with a "button" in the centre

1946 pickup variant, domed hubcaps so maybe they switched the design in 1946. Maybe they used up the stocks of hubcaps before getting a new design and/or producer?

/ Robin
Yankasippi
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 03:03 AM UTC
What a beautiful "Doodle Bug" (as American vets used to call them) and it retains the flag turning signal! The the car was introduced to the U.S. in that form, they were so rare that when two Doodle Bugs came toward each other they would wave using the turn flags!
And I think I see in the interior photos, the switch which the driver would press when it was running out of gas, from the main tank to the two gal. reserve tank, which let the driver know he had about 50 miles worth of gasoline before he was absolutely out of gas. This of course meant that they came up with that idea to avoid having a fuel gauge. Must be the doodle's only "Porsche" over engineering feature! Instead of doing the simple fuel gauge, lets design a foot switch and two gas tanks! Overall, though a fun car which Americans finally started buying in number due to the gas milage of 28 mpg as opposed to their American car 7-16 mpg!

By the way, there was an American love affair with naming cars, etc, after WW2 state of the art contraptions, such as the "Rocket 88, the Corvette, the Corvair, and more. Doodle Bug of course refers to the US nickname of the V1.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 04:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Read the Full News Story

Thanks!

Thank You, Tat!

and

/ Robin

Hi, Robin, and Everyone else!!!

I ask a simple question, and just LOOK at all of those responses!!!

Whenever I open my mouth on ARMORAMA, I nearly always seem to create some kind of "buzz", one way or another!!!

Yes, I know all about the various Military wartime-types and the post-war "Kaefer". I have several books that are dedicated solely to those subjects, besides which, I've been a VW-owner for a long time, and have always been interested in VWs...

This is why I asked if there was going to be a civilian model, in the first place...
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 04:32 AM UTC
Looks like a nice little kit is coming. Curious about the price. I spent a lot of time in VW's. A 1960 Bug (we never called them beetles, it was always Bug) that is now a dune buggy, and a 1963 VW bus. The bus had the lifted suspension and was prized by the dune buggy crowd in Arizona for the higher ground clearance. My Dad sold it off in the 1970's.

My younger sister was hit by a VW Bug making a poorly timed turn. All she remembers about the accident was the sight of lawn chairs flying out when the trunk popped open.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 04:37 AM UTC
I would certainly be happy if they decide to release a civilian model.
Differrent wheels and the rear axle and maybe some other bits and pieces.
/ Robin
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like a nice little kit is coming. Curious about the price. I spent a lot of time in VW's. A 1960 Bug (we never called them beetles, it was always Bug) that is now a dune buggy, and a 1963 VW bus. The bus had the lifted suspension and was prized by the dune buggy crowd in Arizona for the higher ground clearance. My Dad sold it off in the 1970's.

My younger sister was hit by a VW Bug making a poorly timed turn. All she remembers about the accident was the sight of lawn chairs flying out when the trunk popped open.

Hi, Randy!

Yes, "BUGS" in the US, and hardly ever called anything else here, except by VW dealers!

"Kaefer", of course, (sorry, I don't know how to get "umlauts" out of my keyboard), means "beetle", in German...

Maybe I need to download some kind of a European "alphabet and letter modifier" thing into my programs..?

Gotta run; Easter Dinner and party at my Nephew's- His Daughter has come to visit and my Sister is coming, too!

Later, Guys, and Happy Easter to all!
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Randy!

Yes, "BUGS" in the US, and hardly ever called anything else here, except by VW dealers!

"Kaefer", of course, (sorry, I don't know how to get "umlauts" out of my keyboard), means "beetle", in German...

Maybe I need to download some kind of a European "alphabet and letter modifier" thing into my programs..?

Gotta run; Easter Dinner and party at my Nephew's- His Daughter has come to visit and my Sister is coming, too!

Later, Guys, and Happy Easter to all!

Have fun. The great thing about Easter egg hunts, as you get older is...You can hide the eggs, and still be surprised when you find them! Usually a few years later.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The biggest difference between a truly civilian car and the Type 82E is the chassis height, 70 mm difference or 2 mm in 1/35 but visible in how the wheels fit into the wheel arches.

Thanks Robin!
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 10:22 AM UTC

This is not an original Type 82e, or war time VW. This is either an early model sedan modified to look like the actual thing for diorama purposes, or a Type 82e with a lot of replacement sheet metal.

If you notice on the front quarter panel ahead of the passenger door there is a small rectangular panel with a pointy side; that is the 'crotch cooler' air vent meant to allow fresh air to enter the cabin so-named because that fresh air roughly hit at crotch height. This feature was only found on Type 1 models produced from '51-'52.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 11:05 AM UTC
Thanks Shell!
I guess the Sinsheim museum is faking it using some, ahem, "artistic license"
At least it shows the height difference which is what I wanted from it.
All those small differences that only the experts know about
/ Robin

Model 1951 with the ventilator opened:

b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 12:08 PM UTC
My first car was a 63 Volksie, primer grey with black trim. The Spook. Turn the headlights off at night and you'd loose it. (Came out from a friend's one night and thought it'd been stolen. Couldn't see it across the street. ) Have built a couple CMK VWs. One a Reichpost "van" with the holzbrenner conversion. Anybody thinking about a Reichpost one, I have decals. Let me know.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 03:32 PM UTC
Gotta get one or two of these. Cool little cars.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They were downright COLD during the Winter- The heater seemed to consist of two over-worked "lightning-bugs"...

I had an old, beat-up '61 that I used while I was working on "souping-up" my '69 Dodge Dart GTS 340. It was a fun car (both were, actually), and my Bug was always one of the only cars on the road during a blizzard, while my Dart was in pieces my Dad's heated garage...

A bit of trivia: It was the British Military Authorities which managed to get Dr. Porsche out of internment and they cooperated together to get the Volkswagen Factory started again, post-war...

I have 3 or 4 of those CMK VW kits in my stock of un-built kits, one of which I did start. I HOPE that RYE FIELD's V-Dub kits will be much better than CMK's...
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 12:18 PM UTC
All of these VWs brings back a lot of memories of my own 'dubs over the years and I'm sure that all of the VW fanatics will be crawling out of the wood works on this one. A very welcome addition as would another Schwimmwagen. Looking forward to hearing more about the RFM kit.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They were downright COLD during the Winter- The heater seemed to consist of two over-worked "lightning-bugs"...

That's funny, because my bus would get so hot I sometimes stripped down to t-shirt and shorts on long drives in mine. Got to make sure the seals on those heater boxes are tight, bro.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I had an old, beat-up '61 that I used while I was working on "souping-up" my '69 Dodge Dart GTS 340. It was a fun car (both were, actually), and my Bug was always one of the only cars on the road during a blizzard, while my Dart was in pieces my Dad's heated garage...

A bit of trivia: It was the British Military Authorities which managed to get Dr. Porsche out of internment and they cooperated together to get the Volkswagen Factory started again, post-war...

I have 3 or 4 of those CMK VW kits in my stock of un-built kits, one of which I did start. I HOPE that RYE FIELD's V-Dub kits will be much better than CMK's...

We also had several VWs when I was growing up. When I was in Germany my ex-wife and I had a VW cabriolet that had a fiberglass rear body that resembled a '32 roadster. It had a beat up white rag top. My ex-brother-in-law was a draftsman and helped me make a new top from material we special ordered. It turned out great. Try driving that thing in the winter...talk about cold.
 _GOTOTOP