_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
New AFV Club 1/35 M16 AA Halftrack!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 06:05 PM UTC
A poster on Facebook just uploaded pics of a newly announced 1/35 AFV Club M16 MGMC. By the pics, it is clearly not the DML kit.

Wow!

The photo upload tools are too hard for me so here you go:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/afv-club-new-release-1-35-m16-multiple-gun-motor-c-t319236.html
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 07:14 PM UTC
Good news to hear Roy,

Thanks for posting.

Looks like AFV Club have excelled on the engine and transmission.

I hope the sides of the fighting compartment drop down but if they don't, who cares it still will be a good kit to buy and build.

Would really like to see AFV Club bring out an M15 as well but lets wait for the M16 and maybe something may happen in the future.

Michael

Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 09:03 PM UTC
a welcome choice in the modelling world, thanks for sharing.
PzAufkl
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 103 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 09:08 PM UTC
... and did you note the Long Tom carriage with WW II dolly M1 plus civilian pattern tires in the pictures?! Seems like we're in for some more good news! (Although the breech still appears to be the thick one? Keep your fingers crossed!)
Peter
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2019 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... and did you note the Long Tom carriage with WW II dolly M1 plus civilian pattern tires in the pictures?! Seems like we're in for some more good news! (Although the breech still appears to be the thick one? Keep your fingers crossed!)
Peter

It’s a new tool 8in Howitzer. Hoping they will also revisit the 155mm.
Jduran
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 01:06 AM UTC
And in their Facebook page you can see a new m108 howitzer.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A poster on Facebook just uploaded pics of a newly announced 1/35 AFV Club M16 MGMC. By the pics, it is clearly not the DML kit.

Wow!

The photo upload tools are too hard for me so here you go:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/missinglynx/afv-club-new-release-1-35-m16-multiple-gun-motor-c-t319236.html

THANK YOU, Roy!

THIS IS VERY EXCITING, ESPECIALLY for WWII US/Allied FANS! I HOPE that AFV CLUB managed to get the "Slot Head" Screws right, which are found all over the entire body- DRAGON so obviously missed those on their US Half-Track kits, by molding them as BOLT HEADS. Also, I hope that AFV CLUB will CAPITALIZE (no pun intended), on their already existing Half-Track Chassis, Fighting/Cargo and Driving Compartments, by bringing out kits of the other types of these ubiquitous US WWII Vehicles, as well...

I'm anticipating this new M16 and the re-tooled M1 8" Howitzer kits with great enthusiasm!!! The "Panzer-Clique" must be chewing their lips off because they didn't get another Tiger or Panther...

I also saw the "new-issue" US M1 8" Howitzer there in your "MISSING LYNX/AFV CLUB post... Wonder if they'll be re-doing their 155mm "Long Tom" kit, as well..? I'd HATE to think that I'll be buying EXTRA M1 8" Howitzer kits just to "update/backdate" my two un-built AFV CLUB "Long Toms"...

NOTICEABLY ABSENT were the M8 75mm HMC, (Howitzer Motor Carriage) which long ago, was supposed to have been a "follow-on" kit to their EXCELLENT M5A1 Light Tank kits, AND their M48A3, which never materialized, either...

I WONDER HOW LONG we'll have to wait for these new M16 Half-Track and M1 8" Howitzer kits..? AFV CLUB has been known to be "a bit slow" when it comes to getting "new releases" out and onto the hobby shops' shelves...
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hearing they got the slot heads right makes me want to stand up and cheer (although I think Dragon got it right for some of the later kits based on the half-track).

Hopefully they will capitalize on the half-track chassis and make all the variants we could want. They did a good job with the Stryker, Chaffee, and Churchill. But the M60 line has been slow to develop and the M113A1 line hasn't gone beyond the ACAV. They also lost out on expanding the Centurion line (later British Marks, Israeli Centurion-based APCs). They can be a frustrating brand to watch.

Now that we are seeing the M108, will they give us the M992 like they said they would a long time ago?
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 08:55 AM UTC
Hate being a Debbie Downer here but I'm kinda underwhelmed by the M16. I think the Dragon offering is still adequate. M15, now your talking. Maybe even expand the range of M113 based vehicles. Couldn't see anything related to an M108 but a new tool M108 would be very nice. Not a rant, just thinking out loud.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,353 posts
Armorama: 3,121 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 10:10 AM UTC
Given we are seeing plastic assembled, I imagine the wait will not be that long Dennis. Unlike the M8 which always just a line drawing publicity pic.

All in all, I'm with Chris on this so far. Doesn't look like that much of an improvement to Dragon's offering sans the screw heads saga.

Do my eyes deceive me, or do they look like rubber band tracks with prominent join on top, toward the front and a very clear twist to them? No opening in the gun muzzles? Tie downs are blobs like Dragon (and Tamiya) so no improvement there.

Nice engine and transmission detail, but the hood clamps look moulded on so no option to display it?

At least there is no sag in the tyres, but are they Vinyl?

Can't see a reason to dump my Dragon one from the stash and rush out and buy this one.

Yes, had it been an M15/M15A1, something not yet done but with a market open for it, or a T30 or T48 (or heaven forbid an M5 series halftrack) then the drool would be flowing.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2019 - 10:50 AM UTC
DML's kit is pretty darn good. But already, I see details that AFV Club has added that were omitted by DML. For instance:
ADVANTAGES
1) brake on cable drum
2) exhaust pipe muzzle holder
3) actual attempt at C-channel frame (DML is a solid slab)
4) correctly sized rear bins (one of DML's has wrong dimensions)
5) the engine looks more detailed
6) DML's tombstone ammo bins were too tall
7) DML's MG collars had poor detail
8) DML's circular drum MG mount is incorrectly one piece. It should be two stacked drums like we see here
9) screw heads maybe?

DISADVANTAGES:
1) I don't see the PTO that goes to the bumper winch though
2) Seemingly weird interpretation of radio -- it seems to jut out too much
3) vinyl tracks? DML's solid ones are great. If AFV Club uses vinly, it may be a backwards step.
 _GOTOTOP