_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Log armor on Korean war shermans?
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - 02:45 PM UTC
Hi guys. Would anyone know if Shermans in Korea used the ubiquitous log armor seen in Europe in WW2?

I'm planning that gorgeous Tamiya kit and I'm planning to get a stowage set that contains the logs and I'm not sure if I should use them. Its important to me to be historically plausible at least.

Thanks fellas.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - 02:53 PM UTC
I've not seen logs on a US M4 in Korea. The Canadians used some sandbags and spare tracks on the turret, but no logs.

G
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - 05:29 PM UTC
Here's the problem, the Japanese removed most of the harvestable trees in Korea during their long occupation. There just were not a lot of trees left of a size or type that could be harvested for such a purpose. Those trees remaining were usually in difficult to reach or remote areas. Any that remained accessible usually found their way into structures, telephone poles, and railroad ties. A lot of finished lumber was imported by US Forces during the war for this reason. The terrain in Korea suffers to this day because it was shaped without the benefit of suitable ground cover (and tree cover) in many areas, and Korea's National Audubon Day is still an important day for tree planting by thousands of Koreans. This is a little known fact of the Korean War.
VR, Russ
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 - 09:48 PM UTC
There are photos of M4s in Korea with large racks on the side to hold logs.

I'm not even sure they're for armor as much as transportation of suitable logs for fortifications. Logs were rare and if you found a few good ones, might as well carry them around for future use in embankments.
Phil5000
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 07:52 AM UTC
Ok, that answers that question. Thanks fellas.
 _GOTOTOP