_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1126 Stryker ICV with Javelin
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 - 01:51 AM UTC
This is not really a complete build log, because I started building this vehicle in the end of 2018. I didn’t take pictures during the build, except of the two, that you can see underneath.
As base for the M1126 I used the M1132 Stryker Engineer Squad Vehicle, from Trumpeter. I used this special one, because according to my experience the Protector M151 remote weapon station in this kit is far better detailed than that of the M1126 Kit, also from Trumpeter.
For references, I used the book “Stryker in Detail part one”, from WWP Publications and of course researches in the internet.

Now here, the two mentioned pictures:

They show mostly everything I changed during the build:
- filled the not used aerial holes,
- capped the two triangular steps on the sides of the upper body,
- glued new aerial bases on their place und doubled them in height
- three holes were drilled into the platform of the Protector station, a huge one, which is obviously used to reduce weight and two small ones for some cables

Also the lower front hull armor plate (part WG2) was replaced by another one from the M1129 Mortar kit, ditto from Trumpeter.

Here are some pictures which show the current status

Basic color had been sprayed on; some parts are coated with gloss, ready to receive the decals.

During the long Easter weekend, I found some time to pick up the project once more. I focused on the Protector station, in particular the connection between the Javelin and the station.
As reference for the new Javelin mount, I used different pictures out of the internet - especially from the pages of “alamy” and “tank-master.de”.
To interpret these pictures I used the Javelin model from the Black Dog T35201 set. With this, I was able to calculate the dimensions of the still to build components.

Beneath you can see the work in process.

First I built the “plate” that is part of the Javelin integration kit, which also serves as holder for the hole system. As you can see I decided to glue something like a stud to the outside of this “plate” in order to improve the connection between the flange and the station.
The flange was made from plastic tubes with different diameters: 6,3 mm (0.250”) and 4,8 mm (0.187”).
The little structure you can see on the pictures is made of a rectangular tube, 6,4 x 4,8 mm (1/4” x 3/16”). Later it will be glued to the front of the “plate” and will hold the front of the Javelin rocket.
The electrical box is a simply styrene strip 2,5 x 4,8 mm (0.100 x 0.188”).
After all I started work on the laser range finder(STORM LRF).

Peter

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC
you are off to a great start Peter ! Please keep the progress pictures coming and thanks for sharing !
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hello everybody!

An update on the Stryker ICV-J!
I like to share my last weekend’s work:

The laser range finder is now complete, I used a 4mm (0.156”) styrene channel and two rods of different diameters: 1mm (0.040”) and 1,6mm (0.062”). On the top of the channel, I placed a disc of 2mm (0.080”) diameter which is 0,25mm (0.010”) thick.

Furthermore I worked on the backwards holder of the Javelin rocket. This one will be glued to the back end of the “plate”.

The base of the holder is made out of a little piece which I cut from a 1,5mm (0.060”) plastic sheet. It is 3,5mm (0.137“) in height. After cutting the piece I took a half-round file and filed the upper part of it until I was satisfied. The lower part was filed with sand paper.
The lock was made out of another channel this time with the wideness of 3,2mm (0.125”). I reduced a small part of the inside and glued a rod of 1mm (0.040”) diameter inside the channel. A little disc of 0,6mm (0,023”) on each side, represents a screw.

The bow consists out of a plastic strip of 1,5 x 1,0mm (0.060” x 0.040”) It had been wound around a 6mm (0,236”) drill and heated in boiling water to fix the form. In the end a piece of a 1mm (0.040”) rod was glued to the bow.

Additionally, I put some photo-etched parts on the M2 machine gun. They are from RB models.

@ivanhoe6

Thanks for your pleasant comment!
Prost

Peter
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 02:13 AM UTC
Not much progress on the M1126 Stryker Javelin for today.

Al the parts of the Javelin holder are now glued together, and ready for painting.
The Javelin itself is not glued.

Peter
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 04:23 AM UTC
I'll be watching this one too...great work so far!

PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 03:34 AM UTC
Thank you, Eric.

Peter
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 03:38 AM UTC
Again not much progress on this subject, because I focused on the M1296 Dragoon.
But still, there is a little progress.
I put the actual weapon station together and wired it. The photos aren`t really fine, but it is hard to get such small things exactly on a Photo. I hope it sends the idea.

Next, was to put antireflection coding on the periscopes. Therefore I use the stickers from the AFV set AC35011.
Then I wired the base for the weapon station and glued it to the upper body.

Hope to get some more progress on it, next week.

Peter

HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2019 - 04:46 AM UTC
Servus Peter,
I hate to spoil the fun, but the Javelin missile from Blackdog is NOT good. I had the same approach but with AFV Club Stryker.
After checking the missile, I found out that it is too short and too large in diameter. I guess that BD had only photos and started with wrong measurements. If you want to be safe, go for Blast Models ICV-J conversion.
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, June 06, 2019 - 03:31 AM UTC
Servus Hermann

Don’t worry! Don’t worry! You are not spoiling anything!

You are right, the dimensions of the BlackDog Javelin are not correct. The missile launch tube is about 1,2 mm (0,0472 inch) too short and its diameter is approximately 0,8mm (0,0315 inch) too large.

I know the Blast Models Stryker Crows-J weapon station.

Nevertheless I chose the Javelin from the BlackDog, because the Blast one has this prominent bow, molded directly onto the missile launch tube. On every photo of the original I found, this bow was above the missile, with some in-between space. And it was important for me to show this.
Another reason was financially, I needed two missiles (an additional one for some other idea in my mind). And I just need only the missiles, because I use the weapon stations which are included in the model kits.

Peter
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2019 - 02:36 AM UTC
“In the core of every beginning lives magic!”

Therefore I do have at least half a dozen unfinished model kits,
more than a dozen ideas for jet to start projects and
a stack of dozens of kits of never started projects.

For me it’s iron hard to bring a project to a good end. The further I come the more I slow down, till finally I loose interest and start something new and far more exciting.

Not this time!!!! (I promise, I mean I hope, well let’s see.)

For now at least I will present you some minor progress for which I struggled intensively.

The first minor progress is the “blue force tracking device” which wasn’t included in the kit. I made the aerial base out of two 3,2mm(0.125 inch) angles, glued together with a 1mm (0.04 inch) square strip in the center, in order to hold the distance between the two angles. The platform was made by a 0,75mm plate (7x7mm, 0.275 inch) which was covered with 0,25x1,0mm (0.01 x 0.04) strips. The receiver was made out of a similar plate plus a 6mm disc topped by a 4,8mm disc.

Finally base and platform were glued together, a handle was added and everything was sprayed in vehicle color. The receiver was sprayed in light beige.

More to follow soon………. hopefully …………. perhaps!

Peter
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 - 04:47 AM UTC

Some more progress:

The “blue force tracking device” and the associated cable duct were glued to the Stryker, also the front part of the winch was glued onto the vehicle.

At the rear, the two aerial bases were also glued to the vehicle. The aerial itself will be added later. For the two aerials, I used the set LW021B from Leopard Workshop. This set, I really can recommend. It is astonishing that these tiny parts can be produced and above, they are easy to build.

More to follow soon……….

Peter
PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 04:25 AM UTC
I did it!!!!

The M1126 Stryker with CROWS-J Javelin missile turret is finished!

I focused this project on the new turret and how to implement the missile in the trumpeter kit. I used reference pictures from the internet to build the additional parts for the holding mechanism. The missile itself is from Black Dog.

By the way, does anybody know what the yellow ribbon on the missile stands for? I found a lot of pictures with it, and some without.

I made some further modifications onto the kits turret:
On the platform I drilled a large hole, I cabled the turret and I added the STORM laser rangefinder. Additionally, I opened the M16 smoke grenade dischargers to make them look empty.

To complete the new, modern look of the vehicle I built the GPS receiver - part of the “blue force tracking device”.

Looking at photos of the original vehicle, you might find belts hanging off the storage baskets, on both sides of the vehicle. I decided trying to reproduce them, by cutting small strips out of tinted drawing paper, winding them and securing them with small sewing thread. In the end they were glued to the baskets with some superglue.

In this case, I didn´t weather the vehicle because, because it should demonstrate the presentation of a “first of its kind” and is intended to be displayed together with my Stryker Dragoon.

Thanks for following!

Peter
GulfWarrior
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,051 posts
Armorama: 1,029 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 04:54 AM UTC
Excellent work, Peter!

Very nicely done!

trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 05:18 AM UTC
Wow! Great work! I'm sure someone that knows will jump in, but I think the yellow stripe on the missile indicates it has an explosive warhead as opposed to a training or inert warhead.
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 06:08 AM UTC
Great work!
Yellow denotes a High Explosive warhead. The bands are placed at the approximate location of the warhead or material that goes boom.

See the following link for other colours:
https://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Markings/US_Ammo_Markings.htm
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the yellow stripe on the missile indicates it has an explosive warhead as opposed to a training or inert warhead.

I guess you're right and I think it should also have a brown band that indicates the presence of a low explosive (launch rocket motor).

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2019 - 06:18 AM UTC
The yellow band is for an HE warhead. There should also be a dark brown band behind it to denote the motor end of the rocket inside.

PeterMax
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 - 02:11 AM UTC

Richard, Thomas and Dave, thank you very much for your appreciative words!

Dave, thanks for this very interesting link!

Henri-Pierre and Gino, thanks for your additional information! I totally overlooked this brown band.

Peter
 _GOTOTOP