_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
A question: AFV Club Modern Optics 'stickers'
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 08:27 AM UTC
I'm building the Tamiya M1A2 SEP Abrams TUSK 1/2 kit and I ordered the above mentioned stickers for it. They are supposed to be applied to the clear lenses provided in the kit to give the correct color shifting of modern optics. My question is this, Since AFV's instructions suggest painting the back of the clear lenses silver, can I substitute regular plastic painted silver, instead of the clear. My reason being that I feel I would get a stronger bond with regular polystyrene rather than the clear acetate. But I'm afraid doing this might affect the way the stickers react to the light. Any thoughts, or comments would be appreciated. Al
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Taffy, I stuck mine directly to the face of the clear periscope parts with no issues and they have stayed on now for quite a long time. I painted the rear silver, you can see them on this link.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/253524#2149361
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Taffy, I stuck mine directly to the face of the clear periscope parts with no issues and they have stayed on now for quite a long time. I painted the rear silver, you can see them on this link.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/253524#2149361

Thanks for the comeback. Great looking model and the lenses do look the part. My issue is with the type of plastic used for the clear lenses. You have to use super-glue as opposed to regular plastic cement for styrene plastic. Clear parts and super-glue can be a recipe for disaster. I feel it would be easier and I would get a stronger bond replacing the clear parts with silver painted plastic and then applying the stickers. I'm just worried that it might affect the way the stickers reflect the light and change color. Al
afvaficionado
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi Guys
Rather than silver paint, you might like to try mylar film glued to the rear of the periscope. Did this on my Scorpion - though it's 1/16th - http://www.hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=4559.60 - Post 83.

Mal
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 11:12 PM UTC
Al,
I don't recommend using superglue for clear parts. Several manufactures make glue specifically for clear parts--I use Testors. It's milky when it goes n, but dries crystal clear and won't cause crazing.

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2019 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al,
I don't recommend using superglue for clear parts. Several manufactures make glue specifically for clear parts--I use Testors. It's milky when it goes n, but dries crystal clear and won't cause crazing.

Thanks for the reply. I know all about the pitfalls of super-glue and clear parts. I've used Testor's Clear Cement and Window Maker, and if it was just a matter of using the clear parts as is, I'd agree with you. What I'm concerned about, is how well it will hold up when applying AFV Club's stickers. There isn't much of a bonding surface to adhere to. I don't want the clear parts to pop loose when applying those stickers. I guess I'll just have to experiment. Al
 _GOTOTOP