_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Apologies and a Thank You to Model Cellar
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 04:50 AM UTC
Folks, I want to make a public apology to Paul at Model Cellar. A few days ago there was a posting about Model Cellar's release of a set of aftermarket wheel tires for the Roden WWI 8" BL Howitzer kit. I saw the first response to the article, which was "great". However I'd been working for a while on an article about this kit, and had some "inside knowledge" about the Howitzer. My response to the Model Cellar announcement was to say their release "perpetuated a kit error". That was a knee jerk wrong response, and I apologize for it.

I contacted Paul at Model Cellar after posting my response and furnished him with materials to "correct" the error. But --and this should be a lesson for all of us-- I really should have done that before my knee-jerk posting. So often on Armorama we "knee-jerk" post. It was not my intent to "slam" Paul's hard work, in fact I'm greatful someone has stepped up to fix a kit error, and applaud Paul for doing so.

I'd like to say a few things about Model Cellar. I have a few of their excellent kits. Paul has filled a much needed niche for WWI modelers, and his attention to detail is excellent. The fact is, Paul was not wrong in his release of the "tires" for this kit, there are museum Howitzers with these tires, and photo evidence of the Finnish Army using them on post-WWI (1939) Howitzers. No doubt there were likely some "field expedient" tires like this in WWI too (in steel). They should not be discounted and make a fine addition to Roden's kit for modelers interested in post WWI Howitzers. Paul's attention to detail and hard work should not be dismissed, and to demonstrate what a great company Model Cellar is, as he's revisiting a version for WWI Howitzers.

"Knee jerk" postings are not always the best solutions to communicating issues, sometimes even if we have the best intentions. There are other ways we should consider communicating with manufacturers, and each other on Armorama/Kitmaker. I had no malicious intent, and want to thank Model Cellar for great products and their dedication and hard work supporting us.

Very Respectfully,
Russ
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 05:53 AM UTC
While I have no interest in WWI subjects and know literally nothing about the kit you are referencing, I applaud the fact that you have issued a public statement concerning your error. It has become common place that people refuse to acknowledge their mistakes. Even when they do, there is seldom an apology. You sir have done both! This is how one earns respect and admiration among his peers. A lesson for us all.
 _GOTOTOP