_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club Non Slip Sheets
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 09:20 AM UTC
Just thought I'd give you a heads up on the non slip sheets AFV Club is pushing.
They look like 400 grit sandpaper and I doubt any texture will show after painting.

well fixed it.

Ahh much better

Anyone try it?
Donald
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 10:20 AM UTC
I can understand the possible skepticism regarding whether the grit will show through painting - new "sounds good" products pop up from time to time which don't actually perform very well for most buyers / users in practice or application - but I would like to believe that the maker has actually tried out this product in some sort of painting-test or test-build... It would be very easy to do so (and now you've posted this, I'm going down to the cave to go paint some various sand-paper products...! ).

Bob
OldWarloke
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2,663 posts
Armorama: 2,649 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can understand the possible skepticism regarding whether the grit will show through painting - new "sounds good" products pop up from time to time which don't actually perform very well for most buyers / users in practice or application - but I would like to believe that the maker has actually tried out this product in some sort of painting-test or test-build... It would be very easy to do so (and now you've posted this, I'm going down to the cave to go paint some various sand-paper products...! ).
I was just trying to save you some $ I think I'll try painting some stick on sandpaper too
Bob

Donald
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 01:06 PM UTC
I haven't used these sheets, but they have a similar pre-cut sheet in their M109A6 Paladin kit. They look pretty good when applied. You can see them below on the front deck.

panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 01:58 PM UTC
I'll try to post a meaningful picture soon...

I did a simple test - using Tamiya Flat Earth acryl mixed about 1:1 with generic "Windex" glass-cleaner, shot from an old Badger Renegade Velocity at 21 PSI... 5 light coats (enough to get a solid opaque coat on the bottom of my wip Takom Merkava 2B hull) on samples of 80, 320, and 400 grit sand-paper.

Even the 400 actually yields a perceivable surface difference when compared to the straight styrene "rolled surface" of the Takom kit hull bottom. Coarser grits are of course more-readily apparent, and those who apply more layers of paints will of course fill the grit more. But, IF this new non-slip product is around 400 grit or perhaps coarser... it could work out OK.

PS: 400 grit is equivalent to about 0.08 inch grit... or to about 1/12 inch grain size, in 1/35th scale.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP