_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Asuka To Do Big Hatch m4A1
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 04:39 AM UTC
Just seen on Asuka's Facebook page, their next Sherman is going to be the M4A1/76mm. Finally. Question is, how long before we actually see the plastic.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 05:47 AM UTC
No link?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just seen on Asuka's Facebook page, their next Sherman is going to be the M4A1/76mm. Finally. Question is, how long before we actually see the plastic.

ABOUT TIME we saw an M4A1 76mm (Wet) to replace the old ITALERI effort. Yes, the begging QUESTIONS will remain to be, IF, WHEN, HOW MUCH WILL IT COST, and HOW GOOD WILL IT BE, and once again, IF it will actually happen...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No link?

https://www.facebook.com/asukamoderu

white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 07:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ABOUT TIME we saw an M4A1 76mm (Wet) to replace the old ITALERI effort. Yes, the begging QUESTIONS will remain to be, IF, WHEN, HOW MUCH WILL IT COST, and HOW GOOD WILL IT BE, and once again, IF it will actually happen...

Since it's Asuka I'm thinking a lot of the work is already done since the turret is already tooled, along with the suspension; they're going to have to tool the upper hull and possibly portions of the lower. The cost, well given I paid somewhere around 50 something for the m4A3 75mm I'd say it will be comparable coming from the overseas markets. The quality? Who can tell, they have a pretty decent track record so I have my fingers crossed that it will happen and sooner vs. later.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 08:07 AM UTC
This is a kit I have been waiting for for a long time. As I have mentioned in previous threads, Asuka's Sherman molds are over 10 years old are starting to show their age. When first introduced, Tasca molds were some of the cleanest and crispest in the industry. Now, flash, sink marks, and some mismatching are a lot more common. While the kits are still cleaner molded than, say Trumpeter, they aren't at the Tamiya quality they once were.

As for the price, expect something in the high 50s to mid 60s. They wont be as outrageously priced in the US as they were in the past because Pacific Coast Models, their former importer, went under; PAC models kept the prices of these kits higher than average.

As for the tooling, Asuka could have (should have) released this kit long ago. They have had most of the shapes down already (suspension, gun, mantlet, hatches, rear hull deck components, etc.) ready to rock for some time now.

This has been a long-awaited kit, and a good quality M4A1 (76) W is really an untapped market. The Tamiya offering is good, but not great. The Dragon offering is pretty poor and the Italeri one is well....an Italeri.

The real questions are:
1. Release date
2. How long will they have the monopoly on this vehicle until Meng inevitably releases their's
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

There was also the Dragon kit of the Op Cobra A1 from the 2000s.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Since it's Asuka I'm thinking a lot of the work is already done since the turret is already tooled, along with the suspension; they're going to have to tool the upper hull and possibly portions of the lower. The cost, well given I paid somewhere around 50 something for the m4A3 75mm I'd say it will be comparable coming from the overseas markets. The quality? Who can tell, they have a pretty decent track record so I have my fingers crossed that it will happen and sooner vs. later.

Given the way Asuka does the lower hull, I think the only new parts needed are the upper hull parts and the sponson inserts. Sadly I am not as excited as I would have been. I have a number of their later M4's and only one good set of suspension parts.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello to ALL!

OK, so there seems to be ASUKA's proposed(?) artwork for the new kits' boxtops, which Robin so kindly posted for us.

Thanks, Robin!

I AM BAFFLED as to WHY ASUKA has never done an M4A1 76mm "Big Hatch" (Wet) kit before...

Seeing as the M4A1 47-degree Upper "Big Hatch" (Wet) Hull has already been in existence for some time, and has been available from ASUKA's spare parts organization, or by robbing the Upper Hull from one of their M32B1 ARV kits, it wouldn't be a dead-loss for some modelers to build an M32B3 ARV as I did some years ago. I managed this by grafting on an earlier-style welded 56-degree M4A3 "Small Hatch" (Dry) Upper Hull to the M32B1 kit's VVSS Lower Hull. A little bit of "finagling" with the Crane's mountings is in order, but that little problem is NOT insurmountable. (no pun intended)

It's quite obvious that ASUKA has already had the tooling for the M4A1 (Wet) "Big Hatch" 47-degree Hull...

Their 76mm Turret assembly has already been around for years, in the form of their M4A3 76mm kit...

My point in mentioning the above is that an M4A1 76mm (Wet) "Big Hatch" Sherman kit COULD HAVE BEEN DONE YEARS AGO while still under the TASCA label, or shortly after ASUKA took over the molds because the PARTS ALREADY EXISTED- I mean, DUH...

On to happier things- It wouldn't be much of a stretch for any of us to go ahead with my suggestion to build the following "project":

So here, I'm going to mention that there could also be another possibility for this new kit- It wouldn't take much for an experienced modeler to convert/adapt/kit-bash an HVSS LOWER HALF to the "new" M4A1 Upper "Big Hatch" Hull and its 76mm Turret assembly. Unless of course, ASUKA were to beat any one of us to bringing this possibility to fruition...

Any takers..?

(Meee..! Meee..!)
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 02:32 PM UTC
Well I for one am totally stoked by this news. Huge fan of Asuka/Tasca and anticipate only good things of this release. If Meng wants to follow suit then all the better. Bring on the Shermans!!!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 08:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's quite obvious that ASUKA has already had the tooling for the M4A1 (Wet) "Big Hatch" 47-degree Hull...

How is it "obvious"? The upper hull was the one thing theydidn't have in their catalog as far as I know.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 09:28 PM UTC
The Italeri M4A1 was released in 1977. In 1977 it blew your mind with the level of detail. It was astounding compared to the 1/32 Shermans and Nichimo M4A1. The Tamiya M4A3 came along in 1981 or so and needed a photoetch set from the get go. Amazing that the first PE sets were specifically for the Tamiya M4A3. So lacking in detail.

The Italeri kit reigned supreme as the Best hands down Sherman kit period until the mid 1990s.

I am just finishing up one. Still an amazing level of detail for its age. Lot of stuff in there that the Tamiya M4A3 kits still are missing. And took Dragon any number of iterations of a kit to get quite right.

And here I am only able to get a Chevy when there are the Tasca Mercedes.

You see there are people out here stuck with an older generation of kits, who would rather have two Italeri kits to kitbash an M4A1E8 and have a bit to get some extra olive drab than one Tasca kit.

I'll plunk down the completed kit and it's "oh that the Tasca? Dragon?"
"Italeri "
"Wow, better than I thought."
As my drill sergeant told me 'when you thought' you're wrong I wanted a kit, not a wish list.

And with all the spares from the Dragon and Academy kits, I have all the bits to detail and fix up the Tamiya.

But I cant barely bring myself to spend $40 on a a single kit, let alone $50 on sale

And I just had to blow $40 on a Dragon M4A3E8 105mm howitzer tank. But it looks like they fixed the mantle and there are now separate handles for the hatches rather than ridges? How dare they update the molds when no one is looking.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 10:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How is it "obvious"? The upper hull was the one thing theydidn't have in their catalog as far as I know.

Hi! Not to be a wise-guy- Then HOW COME I see the TASCA/ASUKA "Big Hatch" 47-degree Upper Hull for sale on Ebay every so often, and NOT by private individuals, but by established vendors..? Check any TASCA/ASUKA M32B1 kit- You'll find a "Big Hatch" Hull right inside the box...

Does it REALLY matter if the darned thing is in the catalog or not???

Steve- The ITALERI M4A1 Upper Hull has these big DIMPLES in its sides, and it's also angled INWARDS towards the top of the hull when viewed from the front or the back. They're supposed to be 90-degrees up and down. Soft details and the Main Gun Tube is molded in halves, which once they're put together and sanded, are oval in shape, also when viewed from the front or back. New metal Gun Tube is required, if one is a "fussy" guy like me...

Maybe it's just me, but I never thought that the ITALERI M4A1 was something to write Mom home about...
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 10:57 PM UTC
I'd like to add this to the stash BUT, I'm gonna wait until I read some reviews to find out all the pluses and minuses of the kit. I hope that it's a positive reviewed release !
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 11:33 PM UTC
Tasca’s M32 has only a small hatch ‘A1 upper hull in the box.
Dan
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tasca’s M32 has only a small hatch ‘A1 upper hull in the box.
Dan

The upper hull in Tasca kit nr 35026

http://tasca-shop.ocnk.net/product/280
Reviewed by Terry at PMMS:
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tasca/tasca35026.html
/ Robin
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 05:42 AM UTC
Can't say I've ever seen a Large Hatch hull from Tasca/Asuka on ebay. Sure, the small hatch hulls are out there, as well as the large hatch welded hulls, but not a large hatch cast hull as needed for the M4A1(76)W.
27-1025
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 1,222 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't say I've ever seen a Large Hatch hull from Tasca/Asuka on ebay. Sure, the small hatch hulls are out there, as well as the large hatch welded hulls, but not a large hatch cast hull as needed for the M4A1(76)W.

I believe you are correct. They had not yet done a large hatch cast hull. I've got two of their M32' and both are small hatch A1 hulls.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the Italeri kit was nothing to write home about.

The dimples are a later development from poor quality control and wear of the molds. The first issue didn't have them and the current mold has a reinforcement under it to keep a sink hole to a minimum. The real hull was angled depending on the casting. It varied. Something I found out after grinding it down. The only problems were that undersize gun tube and the anaemic tools. But it was 1977. In 1977 filled sponsons and a fifty with separate bow grips was astounding let alone periscope guards and grab handles. Tamiya didn't start with separate bow grips for a another decade.

Like I said, I am just finishing one and compared it to the Operation Cobra M4A1 by Dragon and it still holds up with some TLC. Some people just live to bash Italeri.

If it's not the newest (last five years) it's not worth the plastic it's molded from. That's like people hating on black and white movies or one made before CGI was a thing.

M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Tom!

Well, I'll be... When I'm WRONG, I'm WRONG, and I'll admit to it...

Please accept my apologies. Perhaps I need new glasses..?

KUDOS to YOU, My Friend!

In any case, the good news is a brand-new 1/35 M4A! 76mm "Big Hatch" kit for us Sherman fans!!!
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 11:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If it's not the newest (last five years) it's not worth the plastic it's molded from. That's like people hating on black and white movies or one made before CGI was a thing.

How is that a comparable thing to injection molding?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the Italeri kit was nothing to write home about.

The dimples are a later development from poor quality control and wear of the molds. The first issue didn't have them and the current mold has a reinforcement under it to keep a sink hole to a minimum. The real hull was angled depending on the casting. It varied. Something I found out after grinding it down. The only problems were that undersize gun tube and the anaemic tools. But it was 1977. In 1977 filled sponsons and a fifty with separate bow grips was astounding let alone periscope guards and grab handles. Tamiya didn't start with separate bow grips for a another decade.

Like I said, I am just finishing one and compared it to the Operation Cobra M4A1 by Dragon and it still holds up with some TLC. Some people just live to bash Italeri.

WHOA! I was not bashing ITALERI, per se- I wasn't really bashing the ITALERI M4A1 Sherman kit, either. I WAS however, voicing my opinions of it. If I were bashing that kit, there would have been FLAMES gushing out of my post.

THIS is what I use when I'm "bashing":

To be fair AND HONEST, as far as DRAGON's 1/35 M4A1 76mm (Wet) "Operation Cobra" Sherman is concerned, I'm not overly enamored of THAT THING, either...

Re: CAD, slide-molding, (the preceding are my 2 additions), and your mention of CGI-

What you said about people "hating on black and white movies" is CERTAINLY TRUE, since the advent of CGI. I happen to LOVE the old black and white cinematic efforts, ESPECIALLY the comedies of the 1920s, '30s, SOME of the '40s and '50s movies. I have a few of the Laurel & Hardy "colorized" movies- "The Music Box", "Berth Marks", and "Help Mates". I think that the "colorization" of the older black and white movies DETRACTS from the movies, themselves. My opinion, that's all...

Now, in DEFENSE of ITALERI, I have to say that their 1/35 Crusader Mk.I was, and still is one of my favorites. Their 1/48 German WWII Arado Ar.196A Seaplane is OUTSTANDING, and there are a few other kits of theirs that I really thought were pretty darned good, too... Bashing ITALERI..? No...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How is that a comparable thing to injection molding?

No, it may not be; but I think that my friend Steve was merely illustrating a point.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hi Dennis,

I'm with you on the B/W movies - that Ted Turner has a lot to answer for! (Remember how his computer gave Ol' Blue Eyes a set of brown peepers? Classic...)

And I still have a soft spot for the Italeri hull & turret. Sure they take a little TLC and a good spares box to meet today's standards, but they still look the part. By comparison every Dragon Shermie I've built took serious arm-wrestling to get the hull to go together. I may look at the new Asuka kit, but certainly not for the usual £70 asking price they currently command here in the UK!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dennis,

I'm with you on the B/W movies - that Ted Turner has a lot to answer for! (Remember how his computer gave Ol' Blue Eyes a set of brown peepers? Classic...)

And I still have a soft spot for the Italeri hull & turret. Sure they take a little TLC and a good spares box to meet today's standards, but they still look the part. By comparison every Dragon Shermie I've built took serious arm-wrestling to get the hull to go together. I may look at the new Asuka kit, but certainly not for the usual £70 asking price they currently command here in the UK!

Ted Turner... HA! The "geniuses" that he has working for him do
A LOT of justice to "error", and then they don't correct... I'll certainly give the new ASUKA M4A1 kit a perusal, pending an "in-box review" before I buy.

Once again, please pardon my error regarding the Hull...
 _GOTOTOP