_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
RyeField: Easy Eight from Rye Field!
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 08:37 PM UTC

Rye Field Model released new info on their upcoming M4A3E8 Sherman kit.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 09:57 PM UTC
Very nice. Certainly blows away the Academy one I just finished and the Tamiya in the stash. It might have a few things right that Dragon messed up. And the suspension doesn't look as gimmicky as the Dragon with its springs and metal tubes.

Now will it go for a lower price point than the Asuka?

I can always be tempted to build another M4A3E8. So many schemes I haven't done yet. Maybe a JGSDF one.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice. Certainly blows away the Academy one I just finished and the Tamiya in the stash. It might have a few things right that Dragon messed up. And the suspension doesn't look as gimmicky as the Dragon with its springs and metal tubes.

I can always be tempted to build another M4A3E8. So many schemes I haven't done yet. Maybe a JGSDF one.

Hi, Steve!

Take a trip across "The Lights Fantastic" to "THE MODELLING NEWS OFFICIAL SITE"- They have a very nice spread with some GREAT sprue shot photos. THIS kit looks like it will be a "WORLD BEATER"...

The downside, for the people who care about such things:

NO INTERIOR, which HAS NEVER STOPPED ME... I can already hear the CRYBABIES...

There are at least TWO of these new -E8s in my future...
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 11:21 PM UTC
Ational photos can be found on RFM website:

http://www.ryefield-model.com/Item/Show.asp?M=2&D=736

Mario
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2019 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Steve!

Take a trip across "The Lights Fantastic" to "THE MODELLING NEWS OFFICIAL SITE"- They have a very nice spread with some GREAT sprue shot photos. THIS kit looks like it will be a "WORLD BEATER"...

The first gripe "where's the Sheridan?"

Psst, do you really think a Sheridan is going to be a big seller?

Do a Sherman, sell lots of kits to pay for the niche kit molds.

I heard back when RFM first appeared that they were a one mold at a time company with each kit paying for the next tooling. Might be wrong but I can see doing the sure seller before the specialty market kit.

And the interior might come later. One of those parts looks like an interior hull floor. Think positive.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 12:46 AM UTC
"Highly detailed workable track links." From the pics, looks like each link is a multi-piece affair. That's nuts!! Takes more time to assemble tracks than the rest of the kit, and that's a no sale for me no matter how nice the rest of the kit looks.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 12:52 AM UTC

Actually Steve, it's really not that important to me- Whether this kit eventually gets an Interior or not isn't going to affect my life one way or another. I don't build that much stuff any more anyway, so...
Pongo_Arm
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 147 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 03:32 AM UTC
Not sure about the reference to torsion bars.
Wonder if they have changed their tactics, and do the non interior one first and then get the extra sales by putting out the interior kit. Probably more fair as most people will likely prefer the non interior one.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure about the reference to torsion bars.
Wonder if they have changed their tactics, and do the non interior one first and then get the extra sales by putting out the interior kit. Probably more fair as most people will likely prefer the non interior one.

Torsion bar is probably the translation of Chinese for what here is properly termed a bogie unit.

The person or program doing the translation obviously doesn't handle technical terminology well. The words used to describe such devices probably differ and any flexible but of a vehicle suspension could be a torsion bar. The old "lost in translation "
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 04:07 AM UTC
If prices aren't too crazy there will be one in my future. As far as the tracks go (based on the images) there are more involved ones out there. So, not a deal breaker.
I agree with Steven. Meng sells a million of these kits affording them a chance to release something non mainstream.
Keep surprising us Meng !
ReluctantRenegade
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,300 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Torsion bar is probably the translation of Chinese for what here is properly termed a bogie unit.

Maybe they used 'torsion-bars' to make the suspension movable?
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The first gripe "where's the Sheridan?"

Do a Sherman, sell lots of kits to pay for the niche kit molds.

I heard back when RFM first appeared that they were a one mold at a time company with each kit paying for the next tooling. Might be wrong but I can see doing the sure seller before the specialty market kit.

And the interior might come later. One of those parts looks like an interior hull floor. Think positive.

Ha! That makes sense, Stephen. However, I am still desperately waiting for the M551 A1, which I pre-ordered many months ago...
Certainly, a welcome news to see a state-of-the-art Easy 8 kit!
Pongo_Arm
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 147 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 04:40 AM UTC
There are no torsion bars in the suspension, it uses horizontal volute springs. That is not a secret or anything. The pictures do not look like they have made the bogeys pinch the horizontal spring or that such a spring is built into the bogey. It looks like they have just put pivots on the whole bogey unit so it will rock in an interesting way. Maybe they put torsion bars onto the suspension units to have them have resistance to movement. That would be an incredibly silly thing to do. But maybe they did.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are no torsion bars in the suspension, it uses horizontal volute springs. That is not a secret or anything. The pictures do not look like they have made the bogeys pinch the horizontal spring or that such a spring is built into the bogey. It looks like they have just put pivots on the whole bogey unit so it will rock in an interesting way. Maybe they put torsion bars onto the suspension units to have them have resistance to movement. That would be an incredibly silly thing to do. But maybe they did.

Read the bit with the pictures going over the features. They've changed "torsion bar" to "suspension bar".

That would be the volute springs. The shocks are a single piece. The volutes are hinged on their supports so the two sides of the bogie flex pretty much as you describe.

Look at the sprues. The parts there match your theory. But there is no torsion bar as opposed to a bar the volute springs are hinged on so the suspension flexes. I think it's that piece on the suspension sprue that looks like nunchucks.

So it's like the old Afv-club HVSS with it flexing on a hinge as opposed to the horizontal volute springs sort of working as in the Dragon HVSS. I've been assembling a set this week. Needless to say, I am not using the springs and the shocks are glued in place.

So "torsion bar" as I said was a mistranslation. Confusion of the Function of the piece as opposed to the name of it.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Steve!

I'm going to say this AGAIN:

DO NOT BORE ME TO DEATH BY SAYING THAT I'M YELLING. THIS IS NOT YELLING; IT IS USING CAPS. IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY USE OF CAPS, DO NOT READ THIS POST. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED...

GO TO "THE MODELLING NEWS" OFFICIAL SITE-

THERE ARE LOADS OF DETAILED PICS OF THE MODELS, SPRUES, PE, AND DETAILED CLOSE-UP PHOTOS OF THE PARTS WHILE STILL ATTACHED TO THE SPRUES, THEMSELVES. THE PARTS ARE MANUFACTURED IN THE DARK YELLOW PLASTIC THAT RYE FIELD USES FOR ALL OF THEIR ARMOR KITS.

THE SUSPENSION AND TRACKS ARE NOT OPERABLE. RYE FIELD SAYS THAT THE TRACKS AND SUSPENSION ARE "WORKABLE", WHICH ACTUALLY MEANS THAT THEY ARE "POSE-ABLE". THERE ARE NO INTERIOR PARTS SHOWN ON ANY OF THE SPRUES EXCEPT FOR A FEW PIECES, HERE AND THERE. RYE FIELD HAS NOT MENTIONED ONE WORD IN REFERENCE TO AN INTERIOR.

THERE ARE NO OPERABLE "TORSION BARS" WHATSOEVER IN THIS KIT. RYE-FIELD'S REFERENCE TO "OPERABLE" IS A MISCONCEPTION- THE BOGIES LOOK "OPERABLE", BUT MY IMPRESSION IS, THAT " THE PARTS ARE POSE-ABLE, BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT, AS FAR AS THE SUSPENSION AND TRACKS ARE CONCERNED", JUDGING FROM RYE FIELD'S PICS AND CGIS.

I WOULD ASSUME THAT THE TURRET IS POSE-ABLE, BUT NOT THE MAIN GUN AND MANTLET, AS THERE APPEARS TO BE A DUST COVER, MUCH LIKE THE UPCOMING M4A1 76MM (WET) KIT, WHICH WAS DISCUSSED IN ANOTHER THREAD ON THIS SITE.

Now go ahead and argue some more amongst yourselves. The biggest favor you can do for yourselves is to go to "THE MODELLING NEWS OFFICIAL SITE", and LOOK AT THE PHOTOS of the whole shebang.

"THE MODELLING NEWS" says that RYE FIELD has informed them that MORE NEWS about THIS KIT will be forthcoming "SOON".

"SOON" can mean later on TODAY or later on in the next FIVE YEARS or so.

So if you want to run around in circles while you're waiting for "SOON" to arrive, BE MY BLINDEY-FLUKING GUESTS...
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 07:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't build that much stuff any more anyway, so...

Far to busy posting on web sites I guess.

I was going to say you managed to post without the inappropriate and totally pathetic use of capitals but I see you more than made up for your "caps fix" in your last entry.

If you think it serves any other purpose than to make your posts look ridiculous then your sadly mistaken.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 10:38 AM UTC
It does look like it will be a nice kit. As mentioned, perhaps an interior will come later, or a two type option like MiniArt.

One very nice detail is the open slot for the front hull vent. Looks like we can do an early version before the cover was added.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 11:02 AM UTC
Randy,
Did you notice that it has a WWII style travel lock?
Dan
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 12:15 PM UTC
Great news. And the track set will be released.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If prices aren't too crazy there will be one in my future. As far as the tracks go (based on the images) there are more involved ones out there. So, not a deal breaker.
I agree with Steven. Meng sells a million of these kits affording them a chance to release something non mainstream.
Keep surprising us Meng !

You're in luck, then! Would it surprise you to learn this kit is coming from Rye Field Models, not Meng?
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was going to say you managed to post without the inappropriate and totally pathetic use of capitals but I see you more than made up for your "caps fix" in your last entry.

If you think it serves any other purpose than to make your posts look ridiculous then your sadly mistaken.

Where's a 'like' button? I've got him on 'hide user' but know exactly who you mean...Gotta keep that post count up!

Jim
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Where's a 'like' button? I've got him on 'hide user' but know exactly who you mean...Gotta keep that post count up!

Jim

Thanks for reminding me of that button. The posts are getting a bit ridiculous, and that last one where it looks like he replied to himself topped my tank off at the 'Max' line. Nothing of value to offer ever. And whether he likes it or not, internet etiquette makes it explicit that all caps is yelling. All the time he has spent posting he could have learned how to use the damn buttons to do it correctly through the use of bold or italics, but since he constantly harps on his caps it is quite obviously an attention-grab. But I'm no expert--I can only apply my knowledge of child psychology and six years as a Special Education teacher working with kids suffering with intellectual and behavioral problems to this situation. And yes, Dennis, I realize you're not liking me much right now. Hide User; I'm okay with it. I'm not going to see your reply anyway.
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Randy,
Did you notice that it has a WWII style travel lock?
Dan

Dan,

Yes, then no. I saw that and it slipped my mind. There is a lot about this model that is a small wow factor for me as I look over it. It might be a pricy kit, but I'll have to get one anyhow. I already have the Master Club T-66 tracks for it.

Randy
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 05:49 PM UTC
Great news. This is an absolute must have for me. It has options for torsion bars on the engine grates, the first aid kit, and the interphone on the rear, so one can make a Koren war version. Actually that's the only correct version as it only has the post war travel lock as was posted earlier. No problem though, I've enough early travel locks in my stash!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As SNIDE and as uninformed as ever, Alan. Didn't you get any love you when you were a child..?

The use of "caps" in my posts are NOT "inappropriate". The use of "caps" is discretionary.

PS- It appears that I speak and write in better English than YOU do. Is THAT the way you were taught to murder your own "Mother Tongue"(?). I suggest you turn the "spell-check" on in your device as well, unless it doesn't have one, in which case there ARE apps available on line... :
 _GOTOTOP