_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Meng Workable Tracks For King Tiger SPS-038
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:12 AM UTC
Has anyone worked with these yet?

I have just attempted to put my first batch together and have found a major problem with the kit.

The plastic links are joined by a metal pin on either side of the tracks. The pins are of 2 different types, with 1 type on the inside of the run and the other type going on the outside of the run.

The pins that are supposed to be on the inside are either too skinny or the holes have been molded too big, but the pins don't stay in place.

The other pins that go on the outside of the tracks seem to fit fine, and in fact require a small push with a bit of effort to get them seated.

I have now played around with 6 or 7 links at random with random pins and the problem seems to be built into the engineering of the kit.

Not sure if I should try to apply some sort of glue to resolve the problem or if that will defeat the "movable" nature of the tracks.

I'm right on the edge of throwing these in the garbage can and ordering up a set of good old reliable Friuls.

I can't be the only person to run into this problem. What have others done?

Thanks!
Jim
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:22 AM UTC
I don't have them, but it sounds like a careful drop of glue would secure the pin to one link, allowing the other to pivot around it still. If worried about binding things up, try something like Gator's Grip or similar PVA-type instead of superglue.
Ringleheim
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 184 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have them, but it sounds like a careful drop of glue would secure the pin to one link, allowing the other to pivot around it still. If worried about binding things up, try something like Gator's Grip or similar PVA-type instead of superglue.

Thanks for your response. Judging by the total lack of responses from others (!) I guess not a lot of people have gone down this route. Smart people...

I will try to play around with some PVA type glue as I don't want to use CA glue on this and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work, I'll cut my losses and switch to Friuls. I also have a set of Dragon King Tiger magic tracks lying around that may work with the Meng kit as well.

TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 05:02 AM UTC
Two thoughts. Did you swap around the pins inside to outside, they could have a dragon type mislabeling in the instructions. The second is to find another type pin for the insides. For Friules, I use a standard staple I straightened for a pin and clip off any excess length.
 _GOTOTOP