_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
AFV Club: M16 Half-track
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:27 PM UTC

Another Shizuoka hobby show announcement from AFV Club, the M16 Half-track

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another Shizuoka hobby show announcement from AFV Club, the M16 Half-track

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Thank You, Carlos!

HURRAH!!!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 09:40 PM UTC
Looks really good, nicely detailed engine, be a shame to bury it. Wonder if it'll have the option to show the hood open without major surgery. Al
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi, Al!

That's a good question- Have you seen any sprue photos yet? Is it possible that there will be separate Hood Panels included in this kit so as to show the Engine Bay opened? If so, GREAT! If not, it still wouldn't be a "deal-breaker" for me, anyway. This kit is on my "to buy" list whether the Engine Bay can be shown open or not...
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 12:11 AM UTC
GREAT NEWS!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 12:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Al!

That's a good question- Have you seen any sprue photos yet? Is it possible that there will be separate Hood Panels included in this kit so as to show the Engine Bay opened? If so, GREAT! If not, it still wouldn't be a "deal-breaker" for me, anyway. This kit is on my "to buy" list whether the Engine Bay can be shown open or not...

No, haven't seen any sprue shots. Agree it wouldn't be a deal breaker, just a shame to hide all of that detail. Al
Mckenna35
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 01:03 AM UTC
I look forward to seeing how this compares to the Dragon kit. I really hope that they branch off and do the versions that haven't already been kitted. I'd love to get my hands on the M-15!
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:08 AM UTC
It would be great if they were to produce the International Harvester versions too, as used by British & Commonwealth forces.
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I look forward to seeing how this compares to the Dragon kit. I really hope that they branch off and do the versions that haven't already been kitted. I'd love to get my hands on the M-15!

Has one plus already: no half inflated bulged tires.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The White 160AX petrol engine also looks much better than the toylike Dragon assembly.
weesiep
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 03:48 AM UTC
the wheels are not bulged but I don't like them much. Made of rubber and they seem to slab sided to me. This is an issue in many kits wheels, even in plastic ones, too square shouldered.

I just bought the Dragon Kit (once it came available again for near normal prices). But apparently DML sniffed out this kit was coming. Now I am a little bit regretting that as the AFV Club kit does look sharper.

The only real advantage the DML kit does have is the plastic moulded rear tracks, to me that is the best representation of the tensioned track.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 04:41 AM UTC
Re: DRAGON's US Half-track Wheels/Tires-

Yes, they are a bit "under-inflated" and a bit "over-bulged". I went with DEF's "slightly" Sagged Wheel/Tire sets on my DRAGON US Half-tracks.

Contrary to a lot of past "hubbub" over DRAGON's versions of "sag" and "bulge", and the contention that these Tires should have no "sag" or "bulge", the REAL M2/M3-etc half-tracks and ALL other military vehicles' tires DO have a little bit of "bulge" and "sag". This is normal. Even many Aircraft, especially the ones that land on Aircraft Carriers, do use High Air-Pressure Tires, and they ALL have just the slightest discernible "sag" and "bulge"- You have to look really closely...

I may be the "oddball" in the discussion over the Wheels/Tires, but I'm going to go after-market on them, anyway. Always do, no matter which "application" is at hand. I expect DEF or HUSSAR will probably be filling that "hole" right along... The resin-versions have traditionally been better in execution and realism than what one will find inside the kit-box. As far as I'm concerned, the same will apply to replacing the .50 cals' Barrels, Cooling Sleeves and Carrying Handles, etc. VOYAGER makes these for the DRAGON kits, so... Also, it remains to be seen how well AFV CLUB has executed the "head stone" Ammo Cans, but I'll probably replace those with resin A/M-versions, as well...

AGREE that DRAGON "aced" the Tracks in their US Half-track kits...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi, Al!

No, haven't seen any sprue shots. Agree it wouldn't be a deal breaker, just a shame to hide all of that detail. Al

DEFINITELY AGREE that it would be a shame to hide all of that detail; I'll probably buy at least TWO of these, unless AFV CLUB releases some of the other versions of the M2/M3-series Half-tracks. It would make sense for them to do so..

You know, back when DRAGON released their M2/M3-series, the after-market people (LION ROAR? GRIFFON? VOYAGER?- I forget), were right on the heels of DRAGON's kits with several different levels of PE sets available; a few of them featured brass Hood Panels, Hinges, Hood Latches, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the same happened for this new AFV CLUB entry, even if AFV CLUB supplies separate Hood Panels in PLASTIC...

Either way Al, it's STILL a "win-win" for us, right?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The White 160AX petrol engine also looks much better than the toylike Dragon assembly.

Yes, it certainly does!!!
weesiep
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:22 AM UTC
It does also look like the nose section is slightly longer on the AFV club. Just my assumption. I think they caught that shape better then DML but it would be great to see a real review.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It would be great if they were to produce the International Harvester versions too, as used by British & Commonwealth forces.

AGREE! DEFINITELY!!!

I've ALWAYS been a fan of the British and Commonwealth Forces throughout History, their military hardware AND their BRAVE MEN, OF COURSE!!!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'll admit that I'm bedazzled with this kit, but several modelers have already picked out a few faults with it in an earlier thread. I don't remember if THIS was mentioned, but here goes:

LOOK at the TOP run of the Tracks, guys- Shouldn't the top run of the Tracks have a "flatter" downward aspect leading from the Sprocket towards the Rear Idler? The REAL Tracks were LIVE, as they are with most US tracked-vehicles, with only a few exceptions, therefore the Tracks were to be adjusted as tightly as possible, without binding, and with virtually no slack... Our experts will know exactly which US tracked-vehicles ARE the exceptions. The Tracks were manufactured in a continuous run of vulcanized rubber and metal, so they HAD to be tight in order to NOT tear themselves apart under hard usage...

Yes, there should be an ever-so slight "bump" in the Tracks over the Top Return Roller, but I think that AFV CLUB just might have exaggerated this "bump" a little bit too much..?

Opinions?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It does also look like the nose section is slightly longer on the AFV club. Just my assumption. I think they caught that shape better then DML but it would be great to see a real review.

AGREE! Especially a side-by-side comparison review!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AGREE! It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for AFV CLUB to actually DO the M15. However if AFV doesn't, a determined modeler COULD convert an M16 into an M15 without an awful lot of work...

(Pssst! But I'd much rather have AFV CLUB release an M15)
Andisak
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 07:31 PM UTC
Very nice!
It's a no-brainer that AFV will continue with other versions like a few personell carriers, just hope they come sooner rather than later.

(We're all still waiting for that M8 HMC derivative from their Stuart series...)
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll admit that I'm bedazzled with this kit, but several modelers have already picked out a few faults with it in an earlier thread. I don't remember if THIS was mentioned, but here goes:

LOOK at the TOP run of the Tracks, guys- Shouldn't the top run of the Tracks have a "flatter" downward aspect leading from the Sprocket towards the Rear Idler? The REAL Tracks were LIVE, as they are with most US tracked-vehicles, with only a few exceptions, therefore the Tracks were to be adjusted as tightly as possible, without binding, and with virtually no slack... Our experts will know exactly which US tracked-vehicles ARE the exceptions. The Tracks were manufactured in a continuous run of vulcanized rubber and metal, so they HAD to be tight in order to NOT tear themselves apart under hard usage...

Yes, there should be an ever-so slight "bump" in the Tracks over the Top Return Roller, but I think that AFV CLUB just might have exaggerated this "bump" a little bit too much..?

Opinions?

Maybe someone just f-ed up when assembling the running gear on the left side?

Look closely and you'll see that the support roller has come loose (the axle hole is visible) and the whole track has lifted.
Have AFV-Club produced the track as rubber-rubbish or is it styrene?

/ Robin
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Opinions?

Maybe someone just f-ed up when assembling the running gear on the left side?

Look closely and you'll see that the support roller has come loose (the axle hole is visible) and the whole track has lifted.
Have AFV-Club produced the track as rubber-rubbish or is it styrene?

/ Robin

I HOPE it isn't some "rubber-rubbish"... Let's hope it isn't...

If I were on the AFV CLUB design team, I would have followed DRAGON's lead in the Track assembly...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice!
It's a no-brainer that AFV will continue with other versions like a few personell carriers, just hope they come sooner rather than later.

(We're all still waiting for that M8 HMC derivative from their Stuart series...)

Uhh... Yeeah, the AFV CLUB M8 HMC... I'm not going to hold my breath...
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2019 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Very nice!

Uhh... Yeeah, the AFV CLUB M8 HMC... I'm not going to hold my breath...

As long as you hold back the caps
/ Robin
Taeuss
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 3,778 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 04:10 AM UTC
I'm thrilled and can finally consign the old Tamiya kit to the nephew's build pile where he can cut his teeth on that kit before trying something newer!
 _GOTOTOP