_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
105 mm question
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 02:51 AM UTC
Are all these 105 mm ammo containers useable for WWll era?
https://www.megahobby.com/products/ammo-crates-containers-for-105mm-howitzer-1-35-afv-club.html
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 03:35 AM UTC
I guess so...

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=276983

from http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/105mm%20Ordnance/4%20105mmCloverleafBundles.html

H.P.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 03:38 AM UTC
The ammo crates are pretty universal. From the below set, the most common I have seen used during WWII up through current times, is the crates to the right and the individual black tubes in the center.

For the boxes, the far right one w/two bands opens at the top. The one on left is a version that opens on the end.

The black tubes (called tootsie rolls - looks like the candy) comes two inside each box. The five in the middle of the boxtop are the most common type I have seen. I'm not sure about the three on the left with a larger endcap. Inside each tootsie roll is one round (two piece shell and canister, with powder increment bags inside the canister) of 105mm ammo.

The three pack round containers (wood box and tootsie rolls) I believe were used as airborne containers since they were lighter than the wooden boxes.

You can see the tootsie rolls, wooden boxes, and an open round in this picture.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 03:43 AM UTC
Thanks!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For the boxes, the far right one w/two bands opens at the top. The one on left is a version that opens on the end.

Both of the boxes in the kit are end opening. Neither of them has hinges or latches for the lid. Top opening boxes have cleats on the lid.

Quoted Text

The three pack round containers (wood box and tootsie rolls) I believe were used as airborne containers since they were lighter than the wooden boxes.

The difference between the crated cloverleaf bundle and wooden box was less than 3 lbs/rnd. An individual triple pack was over 50 lbs (40%) heavier than a two round box, however. The airborne forces mainly used 75mm howitzers I believe, but that's straying from the point.

The wooden crating on the cloverleaf bundles of fiber tubes was used for overseas shipment. The bundles were shipped domestically without crating and the crating was usually removed at the ammunition supply points before issue to the batteries.

My article (referenced above) is worth reading if you want to learn about the subject.

KL
 _GOTOTOP