_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question on color profile in Sabot’s M1A2 Abr
nachjager
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 03:17 AM UTC
Gents: I am building Academy’s M1A2 V2 tank using the decals included in the above book, specifically for THUNDERSTUCK , and, looking at the photo on page 70, it seems that the vehicle the profile is trying to portrait is not really THUNDERSTUCK but MATTHEW MCCONNAUCHEY. The ID panels do match with the decals, so I assume it is the same vehicle. But if you closely look at the photo, the barrel clearly shows the letters CHE in black, not UCK.

Has anyone seen a photo of the vehicle in the profile that can post here or provide a link to?

Thanks.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 05:58 AM UTC
Could the vehicle have been changed to another crew who gave it an alternate tag?
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 08:15 AM UTC
Hm, well I also have the Sabot 'M1A2 in Europe 2017' book and I also found one more picture of Matthew McConaughey (great name for a tank!) in this book:

https://www.bookworldws.co.uk/guideline-action-atlantic-resolve-p-8164.html

In that picture Matthew McConaughey is in green, has the bumper codes 1ID2-70AR and B34. The ID panels are covered with camo net and the name on the barrel 'Matthew McConaughy' is actually in sand and looks hand-painted - i.e. different from the Sabot decals.

So this is a complete guess, but I suspect:

1. The profile and markings for 'Thunderstruck' in the Sabot book are accurate, and

2. The markings for 'Matthew McConaughy' in the Sabot book are intended to be used to show the tank in tan in the process of being overpainted in green as per the photo at the top of page 70 in the Sabot book. By that logic, black tac signs and chevrons go with the black barrel name.

Like I say, that's a guess. This being Armorama, somebody who actually knows will probably give you a better answer.
nachjager
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 05:32 AM UTC
Tha's is what I am guessing. And thanks for your reply.
nachjager
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hm, well I also have the Sabot 'M1A2 in Europe 2017' book and I also found one more picture of Matthew McConaughey (great name for a tank!) in this book:

https://www.bookworldws.co.uk/guideline-action-atlantic-resolve-p-8164.html

In that picture Matthew McConaughey is in green, has the bumper codes 1ID2-70AR and B34. The ID panels are covered with camo net and the name on the barrel 'Matthew McConaughy' is actually in sand and looks hand-painted - i.e. different from the Sabot decals.

So this is a complete guess, but I suspect:

1. The profile and markings for 'Thunderstruck' in the Sabot book are accurate, and

2. The markings for 'Matthew McConaughy' in the Sabot book are intended to be used to show the tank in tan in the process of being overpainted in green as per the photo at the top of page 70 in the Sabot book. By that logic, black tac signs and chevrons go with the black barrel name.

Like I say, that's a guess. This being Armorama, somebody who actually knows will probably give you a better answer.

Interesting theory. But then, why using the same id panel markings? I am , of course, assuming that each tank has a particular id panel, but I could be wrong. Btw, thanks for the heads up for the book. I may get a copy of it. 2018 was a interesting year for US armor in Europe, specially the tanks painted in green with white camo stripes on the skirts
scubatwo
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 11:53 AM UTC
Sabot publications in on Facebook. Give them a shout maybe they can help out.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But then, why using the same id panel markings? I am , of course, assuming that each tank has a particular id panel, but I could be wrong.

I don't have the book, but I am assuming you mean like the markings on the side of the skirts and turret like below.

If so, then no, they are not different on each tank. The markings are the same for a whole unit, either Battalion or Company. Each vehicle in the unit has the same tactical markings to ID it as belonging to that unit. So they could be two different tanks in the same unit.
 _GOTOTOP