_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
s.pz.abt 505 Tiger #300
campbellbart
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hi all,

I am looking at building this Tiger 1 and need to know when it was produced. I am having a hard time determining which version of turret, placement of tools...etc. I have several reference books but with the photos I have found of that tank am still a bit confused.

Does anyone know when it would have been made?

Bart
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2019 - 12:09 PM UTC

If this is the tank you are referring to, then it's a "Late Production" Tiger I. Say September 1944 onward to the end?

G
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 03:17 AM UTC
That one's a hybrid. It has a pistol port.

David
Seahawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 08:01 AM UTC
@ David

Hybrid ?? like a fehrmann
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 10:55 AM UTC
The "Fehrmann" Tigers were not hybrids. They were simply old tanks with their tracks and wheels replaced. Since this is simple maintenance it doesn't count as hybridisation.

Tiger "300" has a turret and a body from two different times. That makes it a hybrid.

David
nsjohn
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 265 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 02:19 PM UTC
Hi David. I'll take the bait. What is the definition of a "hybrid"? Dennis Oliver's latest book on Tigers in 1945 has a section on Fehrmann Tigers and states that F01 was clearly a hybrid, having an early turret, a mid production hull, and steel wheels. I know you have had some reservations about Mr Olivers books, and am interested to hear your comments. Please note that I have the greatest respect for your views and your knowledge, and this is not an attempt to hijack this thread as unfortunately has happened elsewhere.
rockhoundnms
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 03:01 PM UTC
According to Tom Jentz and Hilary Doyle's New Vanguard book this is one of the earliest late tiger I's with steel wheels and rear travel lock carried over from the mid-production batch. This is not a hybrid tank.
Seahawk
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 03:39 PM UTC
Man, now I feel bad. I just wanted to know what was meant by a hybrid tiger. I did not know I was hi jacking the topic

My apologies to anyone I offended

Jeff
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 08:00 PM UTC
The steel wheels are presumably the tank's original wheels, because it has no clips for a shovel on the glacis, implying that the hull was made no earlier than January 1944.

The turret has the plug pistol port, and was therefore built no later than October 1943.
If its armour had been made in October and then delayed in the factory for weeks, this hole would have been plugged.

David
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 08:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dennis Oliver's latest book ... states that F01 was clearly a hybrid, having an early turret, a mid production hull

I wonder how he identified the "mid production hull"? I see no features at all to put the hull in the mid period.

Of course, the very first mid hulls were identical to the very last early hulls. They had two headlights, as F01 has.

But they didn't have bolts beside the hull MG. The hull of F01 is definitely Early, matching its turret. Therefore, not a hybrid.

David
 _GOTOTOP