_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
A Modelling Story w/ Geschutzwagen 38(t) M
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 391 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 07:15 AM UTC
Hey everyone!
I've been building models since I was a young kid in the early 90's. As far as I can remember, there's only one that truly beat me and resulted in me having to scrap the kit and it occured when I was in college back in 2010 and it was Dragon's 6429 Geschutzwagen 38(t) Ausf M with the 15cm s.I.G. 33. For those unfamiliar, this kit, IMO, is quite nice and this particular self-propelled gun is a challenge to get right and look good. Back in 2010, I purchased one while in college and I screwed up the interior, got deep glue stains and fingerprints all over the superstructure and finally coated the vehicle in a paint that was way way too thick. It was ruined and I tossed it. The girl I was with at the time was very controlling and absolutely hated me modelling. She'd claim to be fine with it, but after a tough day of studying, flying or working, I'd retreat into my rec/study room only to met with scornful eyes and bitter comments about how I wasn't paying attention to her. This went on for 5 years and I had had enough. My ex and I broke up, and I immediately hit the gym, got my confidence and body back and began dating again. During this time, I had graduated and began working in my field (aviation) and became convinced women weren't interested in a late 20 something guy who loved nerding out on WW2 books, documentaries, models and PC games. I foolishly got rid of all my model building stuff. I still cringe over this. I was 27 and in this big fitness and self-improvement trip because I wanted to date again and figured everything else was a distraction that wouldn't help me get..you know what. I cringe over the loss, guys, it was awful. 12 Dragon armor and figure kits, resin figures, countless PE aftermarket and diorama details. Thank God I kept all my tools and airbrushes though. 4-5 Years pass...Then; I meet the girl of my dreams, we have our first house together and she encourages me to create and build again. Her father has always built model but unfortunately, passed away in 2018. For Christmas 2018 her mother presented me with a bunch of wrapped boxes and to my joy and bewildered gratitude, she had gifted me all the kits from his awesome stash that he never got to build. Among this stash was DML 6429 and I knew it was on. I knew I had to build the s*%! out of this. I completed the model last month, (April 2019) just before an IMPS show and actually won some awards. It's a neat little story build I thought others might enjoy. I'm back and better than ever. I've included the build log. Cheers.

TLDR; Gf's father passed away, found kit in stash, built it, took it to competition, won awards.

I started the kit by soaking all my sprues in a bowl of warm water with some dish soap. The molds the pull these sprues off of are sprayed with a solution that helps it release once they open it. This releasing agent can effect paint jobs on kits with large highly visible panels, so It's not a bad Idea to soak them.

The Czech 38(t) chassis that the German SPG was built on was a proven design and the kit includes the interior but it must be completed prior to moving on past the hull. The entire first week was just prepping and working on the engine, transmission, battery and control arm and researching what colors would be appropriate. I had wanted a lighter shade for the interior base color but this is how it turned out. It'll be covered regardless.

Sub assemblies. It's crucial to split this kit up in more manageable subassemblies for painting and especially for test fitting.

The broad but thin armoured superstructure sides are very well molded but one has to take extreme care when installing the tiny PE foliage loops. Also, these sides need to be sanded down to allow the primer and paint to bite into better and for a more realistic effect.

A U.S. one cent penny to show the tiny size of these things. The only way to do this is with micro pliers in one hand with the part grasped and CA applied and Zip kicker CA accelerator ready to cement the parts right where you want them.

These tiny German utility clasps are a lady but look good.

Everyone has their own technique for tracks. I use thin cement and form them while they're still drying. Using lengths of straw and sticks, I'm able to achieve a decent realistic sag of the tracks. Apart from purchasing aftermarket metal links, this is the best I can do. With bigger tracks like that of the Panther and Tiger I like to go this route.

The left side interior primed.

The Germans used a red oxide primer that was applied at the factory. The original Czech 38's didn't have this but when the factory in Prague was taken over and the old 38's refitted, it was applied. I apply some water with a brush and drop salt to adhere. Once I paint over it with the base coat, I'll chip the salt away creating a realistic chipping.

Here's the floor of the fighting compartment. After the red oxide primer and salt was applied, I start out with a light coat of Tamiya Buff to help start a more realistic paint texture. After the BufF is dry I go over it lightly with Tamiya Dark Yellow.

The completed left interior. The wires are made from copper wire.

Completed fighting compartment.

It is absolutely critical that once the painting of the interior if finished, you test fit, sand, fill, sand, test fit and sand and test fit again prior to gluing the fighting compartment pieces together. You only get one shot at doing this cleanly and you want to be sure no gaps exist where the pieces meet.

Red oxide primer applied to the outside once the fighting compartment is all done. water is again applied for the future salt chip technique.

I don't know what happened, but once of the driver hatch doors vanished and I was forced to put some scratchbuilding skills to work.

Scratchbuilt hatch. Not great, but it'll work.

Huge bummer! I purchased AK's German Late WAr Colors only to find the paint way too thin out of the airbrush. When I opened the bottle and examined it, I found out why. This is no good. I have emailed AK about this and getting a replacement set but they have yet to answer :-/

I was shooting for the ambitious 3-tone 1944 Normandy Squiggle scheme and just wasn't pleased with my first attempt. Time to take a break, soak the air brush and think about this.

Sandwich Tax. My new gf can bake and I can cook and when our powers combine, we get things like this. This is a steak and arugula sandwich on homemade bread I made using leftover Top Sirloin from the night before. This was incredible and what I used to clear my mind between the botched paint job and the success. It was damn good. I recommend something like this when you're discouraged over a build.

Finally, after many late night hours, the paint job came together. I went over the entire model with Pledge Revive It floor gloss. Simply squirt a bit into the cup and send it through the brush. It makes for a fantastic clear coat prior to decals and weathering

After the Pledge dried and the decals were applied with Solvaset I used Mig's 502 Abteilung Oil Colors to create a dot filter. The exact product is German Three Tone Fading Abt155. After the filter I went over panel lines, bolts and raised parts with Ak's dark wash for German vehicles in dark yellow and Mig's Neutral wash on a few surfaces.

The final step wes using Vallejos Mecha Color Chipping Brown to highlight heavily worn areas the salt technique didn't do justice. I used a small bit of sponge brush cut up with a scalpel and dabbed these areas.

For the tracks I airbrushed flat black then red brown followed by drybrushing Alclad II Lacquer Steel across the treads. Finally I applied some Vallejo pigment powder and removed excess using a wet q-tip. I was in a huge rush to complete this in time for the IPMS show and pulled an all nighter just like back in college. The tracks aren't up to my standard but I had to go with it.

The model was given a final spray of Testors Dullcote and pine branches from The Scenic Factory were carefully installed through the tiny PE foliage loops.

Geschutzwagen 38(t) Ausf. M fur 15cm s.I.G. 33

I can't say enough about how great she is, I consider myself the luckiest of men. She even let's me tinker with firearms. I decided to take her flying for her birthday, to let her into my work world that I've yet to show other women. She's the best. Thanks to all of you who maintained and posted in this forum and site over the past 5 years who have allowed me to lurk and build inspiration. This place is awesome. Cheers from the middle of the U.S.A!

Bonus:

Shooting my beloved FN SCAR 17S with it's Elcan Spectre DR 1.5-6x and YHM Phantom Ti QD .30 cal suppressor. Fun fact, I actually purchased this rifle and gear using the money I had saved for my ex's ring. She absolutely hated guns and was not having me buidl and shoot AR's, although she tolerated my WW2 collection. When we split, I bought a SCAR

Taking her flying for her birthday! She loved it except for entering clouds. I filed IFR so I could show her what my job is usually about.

Thanks Again!
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 07:43 AM UTC
Good lookin' SIG Nathan & congrats on your show awards. There's some good builders in Missouri.
Also, congrats on finding a great woman who understands about modeling and shooting. Not a lot do. My last GF called modeling, "playing with army men". The current one, " my brothers used to build models". She knows that when we are apart I'm not on a bar stool and at the work bench.
So thanks for sharing !
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 10:36 AM UTC
How do you like the SCAR?
I have a .22 clone of one.
Dan
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 10:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good lookin' SIG Nathan & congrats on your show awards. There's some good builders in Missouri.
Also, congrats on finding a great woman who understands about modeling and shooting. Not a lot do. My last GF called modeling, "playing with army men". The current one, " my brothers used to build models". She knows that when we are apart I'm not on a bar stool and at the work bench.
So thanks for sharing !

Thanks alot! Cheers to that!
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do you like the SCAR?
I have a .22 clone of one.
Dan

Hey Dan!
I absolutely love mine. I've shot the pants off it. There's a 1200 yard steel range not too far from me that I love stretching it's legs at. I reload to keep the cost down. It enjoys Lake City M80 ball and M62 Ball Tracer but it's favorite is Federal Premium Gold 168gr BTHP. I get about 2,481 FPS so that's the spec I try to reload to.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 01:09 PM UTC
Great build, great story. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 01:48 PM UTC
Nathan,

Congratulations on...well, everything! A flying job with a GF who accepts shooting and modeling and amazing sandwiches? You've hit the trifecta!

A fine SPG, too.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nathan,

Congratulations on...well, everything! A flying job with a GF who accepts shooting and modeling and amazing sandwiches? You've hit the trifecta!

A fine SPG, too.

Thank you so much! It’s not hard to adapt to happiness, I’ll say that.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 07:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build, great story. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

I appreciate it!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hi, Nate!

VERY Nice job, and Thank You for sharing your build with us!
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Nate!

VERY Nice job, and Thank You for sharing your build with us!

Thanks Dennis!
tangodown
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 11:09 AM UTC
Great Job on the SIG dude. I enjoyed the whole story as well. Wish I could have a suppressor for my AR up here LOL. I guess I should be happy Im allowed to have the 10.5" barrel though.
Nate_W
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great Job on the SIG dude. I enjoyed the whole story as well. Wish I could have a suppressor for my AR up here LOL. I guess I should be happy Im allowed to have the 10.5" barrel though.

Thanks a lot Cam! Yeah, cans are pretty sweet and shooting suppressed SBR’s is the best. Only downside is the paperwork. My forms got sent off with fingerprinting and all and it took 13 months for the ATF to issue me my tax stamp.
 _GOTOTOP